English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 February 2024, 12:47   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
Please don't drag Toni's name in to this, he never has asked for money donations and probably never will.
There is a donate button on the WinUAE homepage.
Old 29 February 2024, 13:06   #22
Mclane
Old retro god.

True, but he never asks for cash in here..So if folks want to donate, then head over to the page and have fun..I'm not saying anyone should not donate, but the thread seemed to be getting a little personal re his finances, which is not our business.

Let's leave the man to concentrate on code
Old 29 February 2024, 13:13   #23
giantclam

Quote:
True, but he never asks for cash in here..So if folks want to donate, then head over to the page and have fun..I'm not saying anyone should not donate, but the thread seemed to be getting a little personal re his finances, which is not our business.

Let's leave the man to concentrate on code

Here, here!
Old 29 February 2024, 13:41   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
True, but he never asks for cash in here..
I know. Just wanted to make sure people understand that Toni doesn't object to voluntary donations
Old 29 February 2024, 13:54   #25
zenox98
Joy Division

@Mclane

Well said, young man.
Old 29 February 2024, 15:00   #26
Bren McGuire

are you seriously waiting for Toni to reply to you saying how much you should donate? that's pretty low mate why don't you just donate what you think is fair? and if you're that much of a cheapskate then you know what you don't have to donate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Doma View Post
How much?
Still waiting for Toni to reply...
Old 29 February 2024, 17:49   #27
Michael Doma

Exclamation

Time to clarify something:
When I make a donation, it's obviously meant for past work, not for future work!
So no pressure here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
are you seriously waiting for Toni to reply to you saying how much you should donate?
No, obviously I was asking copse "how much", since it was him pushing me to donate. My question to Toni was a different one, and I admit that some people might have forgotten it because it was asked a very very long time ago (8 days) ...
Quote:
if WinUAE was a commercial product, how much would you charge for it to reflect the work you've put into, as well as the demand?
That doesn't mean I'm gonna donate exactly that amount. But it's a reference point for me. It's okay if this is too much of a sensitive information for him but I'll wait a bit in case he's changing his mind and going to reply.
Old 11 March 2024, 19:38   #28
Photon

Great thread Michael! And some other good input too. Emu licensing 'pay us, then add your own warez' is a very weird proposition.

I would add that being indie and accepting only voluntary donations or no donations allows you to make something good / how it should be / how you like it, and stay true to yourself. and your vision. I disagree that software should be free with no recognition of real costs like spare time spent testing and improving, server costs, necessary upgrades, etc.

I think decent is 50 EUR so that's what I did. But mid-pandemic when I was fired for having Covid, or 2003, when my employer went bankrupt, I could not have donated 1 cent.

I'm sure at the very least it helps with server costs and pays for outlays, like hardware test equipment.
Old 13 March 2024, 10:01   #29
Michael Doma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I think decent is 50 EUR so that's what I did.
Thanks for the hint. I have now donated 75€ together with a friend (who is not using WinUAE, but finds it an important project).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
mid-pandemic when I was fired for having Covid
That's interesting because I've gotten an immediate dismissal after clearly proving that all covid tests are applied illegaly (in medical terms and legal terms). Magically - after my lawsuit was sent out - I was reinstated via home office after all (as the law actually describes).

Regards,

Michael
Old 22 March 2024, 13:50   #30
trackah123
Amiga User

I will add my 2 cents to this topic, first of all yes WinUAE has always been an amazing project, the amount of work Toni put into this every time for the past decade(s) is nothing short of astonishing and mindblowing.

That said, i think people should be free to support the project in any way possible without pressure, whether thats documentation, technical stuff, donations, anything thats useful for him and WinUAE.

But there should not be expectations or pressure towards WinUAE and Toni whatsoever, just stick to his own time and skills, his own pace and balance, like always.