English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 August 2009, 03:08   #1
misjah

serial connection problems

Hi all. I`m having trouble with null modem cable and amiga explorer. I followed all instructions but nothing happens. I tried different versions of cable, the one that is posted on amiga forever/explorer web page, and the one that goes with Adf sender terminal help file. None of the programs work and I can`t make connection. It is a DIY cable but since I have experience with electronics and soldering don`t think that`s the problem.
I made connection with PC only one time using win hyper terminal and after that nothing. Any tips and info what should I do next?
Old 15 August 2009, 21:33   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi misjah,

Doesn't either the Windows or Amiga part of the Amiga Explorer program do anything?

Let's have some more information. Then I'm sure we'll be able to get you up and running with this fine utility.
Old 16 August 2009, 02:57   #3
misjah

Well, I`m very weak with shells and commands but I followed tutorial that came with adf sender terminal. I made all settings as it say (19200,8,1 cts/rts, 4096 buffer). In windows are same settings too (flow control: hardware?)
Amiga explorer is not working - transfer of setup files always fail. Adf sender is not working at all when trying to send some file.
Some guy made me startup disk (WorkBench 1.3D) and he also put transdisk app in C folder. That`s all I have at the moment.
I just found factory null-modem cable and tried it with two PCs and it`s working....
Are there any commands or methods just to test my serial port on Amiga?
Old 19 August 2009, 01:30   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

What model Amiga are you using for this, and does it have a hard disk?
Old 19 August 2009, 16:35   #5
misjah

A500, 1 Meg RAM with internal floppy and no HDD. I actually made a connection changing settings to 9600 baud and no cts/rts like everyone is suggesting, and the file transfer was succesfull (but really slow ofcourse).
I swapped floppy drive with TEAC fd-235hg and for now it`s working great. The only prob is that this drive doesn`t have extra switch to detect inserted floppy. I did this because original floppy is failing or just doesn`t like HD floppies which worked for while but now I can only hear bad noises from drive.
So, now I`m trying with adf sender and transdisk, I created a disk, transfer was good and both transdisk and adf sender completed at the same time but the disk seems like it`s empty, it`s not booting. Maybe new disk drive is not writing at all.... Original drive is working good with DD flopies but I just don`t have them. (had a full box from brother`s Amiga, abot 10 years ago, but can`t find them).
If you have some suggestions about software or hardware I`m all ears....

Wow, the second disk is working, giana was probably corrupted but hombre disk is booting! Just to figure out how it`s working....

Last edited by misjah; 19 August 2009 at 21:29.
Old 19 August 2009, 23:39   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah View Post
I swapped floppy drive with TEAC fd-235hg and for now it`s working great. The only prob is that this drive doesn`t have extra switch to detect inserted floppy. I did this because original floppy is failing or just doesn`t like HD floppies which worked for while but now I can only hear bad noises from drive.
You may be able to revive your original floppy drive by cleaning the drive heads. If that sounds unlikely, I managed to salvage mine, which had appeared to pack up and was making awful whining noises just before it stopped reading anything, by doing just that.

You can either use a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol to clean the heads with the drive stripped from its housing, or use a floppy drive cleaning disk.

I prefer to use the first method, because then you can be sure that all the solvent has dried from the heads before trying a disk in it again.
Old 20 August 2009, 01:55   #7
misjah

I cleaned it twice, no problem for that, but it`s still badly working. The Teac drive is working perfectly, with no read/write errors. The only annoying thing is that I have to restart after every disk change.... but I`m not really advanced and demanding user. Everything is in order now, and me happy
btw. hombre disk kicks ass!

Last edited by misjah; 20 August 2009 at 02:25.
Old 23 August 2009, 15:54   #8
Moroder

would this be good for cleaning my amiga disk drive?
ebay
Old 23 August 2009, 17:53   #9
misjah

It`s good maybe to use only a few times, after that cleaning disk becomes dirty and doesn`t have good effect anymore. I`d suggest cotton sticks and rubbing alcohol if you are ok with disassembling Amiga and drive.
Best solution for me was changing the drive. I found in my scrap some mitsumi HD drive, needs some little modification, but it`s working prefect. Working good with both DD and HD floppies.
p.s. I had a floppy like that long time ago, but it came with some special liquid in small bottle (probably alcohol)
Old 23 August 2009, 21:37   #10
Moroder

Quote:
It`s good maybe to use only a few times, after that cleaning disk becomes dirty and doesn`t have good effect anymore. I`d suggest cotton sticks and rubbing alcohol if you are ok with disassembling Amiga and drive.
Best solution for me was changing the drive. I found in my scrap some mitsumi HD drive, needs some little modification, but it`s working prefect. Working good with both DD and HD floppies.
p.s. I had a floppy like that long time ago, but it came with some special liquid in small bottle (probably alcohol)
cool, thanks. my drive still works pretty good, but I thought I'd clean it since it does gives me trouble once in a while. plus, it's probably never been cleaned before, so I'm sure it'll do good...
Old 23 August 2009, 21:49   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroder View Post
cool, thanks. my drive still works pretty good, but I thought I'd clean it since it does gives me trouble once in a while. plus, it's probably never been cleaned before, so I'm sure it'll do good...
I would also advise you to use cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol in preference to a drive cleaning disk. Once you have the drive apart you can also give it a good brush out and vacuum to get rid of any dust that has built up inside the mechanism.

Take your time and try not to rub the heads too hard. Also make sure that all solvent has evaporated before inserting any disk in the drive.

Quote:
Yes, I like Mitsumi floppy disk drives. I have a Mitsumi HD floppy drive for a PC which I use with one of Stedy's Amiga to PC floppy drive adapters, and it's one of the quietest and most reliable units I have ever owned.
Old 24 August 2009, 07:22   #12
Moroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I would also advise you to use cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol in preference to a drive cleaning disk. Once you have the drive apart you can also give it a good brush out and vacuum to get rid of any dust that has built up inside the mechanism.

Take your time and try not to rub the heads too hard. Also make sure that all solvent has evaporated before inserting any disk in the drive.
thanks again. might aswell take the drive apart, since I am replacing the entire amiga case anyway....! :-)