English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 November 2010, 20:20   #1
MethodGit

Trouble decrunching specific data in Shadow Fighter AGA

Whereas the ECS version makes it easy to find the crunched part of the disk holding the protection screen data, the AGA version seems to make it damn near impossible.

I've attached the ripped part of the disk I'm having trouble with. The ECS version has something similar to this (crunched file inside another crunched file) but at least you can take it out and ProPack and xfdDecrunch will still be able to unpack it afterwards without a problem. With the AGA version, no matter how much of the file I rip out from 'RNC' onwards (and there's only one instance of 'RNC' inside said file), both apps will report that the data is corrupt and refuse to unpack it. I even tried just ripping from 'RNC' to the very end of the file and I still get the same problem. Is this thing designed to be unpacked or not? Or is the game just well protected and it uses a custom/proprietary unpacker to get around it?

It *has* to be accessible somehow - Prestige managed to crack the AGA version and have it skip the protection screen altogether, and it wasn't with a boot patch either!

Note: I did try WRip but that can't seem to find the correct length either - doing WRip "file" xfdScan will rip a file named "ProP 8C8D 9621", but it can't be unpacked, as before.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RNC1 73C00 8A5E9.zip (83.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 21 November 2010, 14:13   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Just a hunch: file is 300Kb but winzip shrinks it down to 80Kb: my guess is that this is not a packed file or winzip could not have been done a lot better than RN packer.

You (and wrip) could have mistaken decruncher code (with RNC\01 tag check) for a packed file header.
Old 21 November 2010, 16:36   #3
Frog

it could be the decrunch routine and not a packed file
Old 21 November 2010, 18:56   #4
MethodGit

JOTD: It's not the whole file itself that needs decrunching - it *was* crunched before, but I unpacked it before upping it here. What I'm talking about is the smaller RNC block inside the file that I'm having trouble ripping. Nothing seems to be able to find the end part of it.
Old 22 November 2010, 22:34   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

As JOTD and Frog have just said, it's probably the RNC decrunch routine in the file!
Old 23 November 2010, 01:45   #6
MethodGit

So.......... telling the difference between an RNC header and an RNC decrunch routine is another thing I have to learn, I take it?
Old 23 November 2010, 03:07   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Yes, but it's easy. If it's a packed file, you will have the RNC header (one long), then the crunched length (one long) and the decrunched length (one long). (Maybe swapped around, I'm going from memory).

If it's the decrunch routine, you will see code rather than "random" junk.