English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 May 2022, 19:35   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: After Burner C64 & Amiga

Did many like After Burner in the arcade?! I personally thought it was just a loud fast mess relying on luck than skill to get anywhere in it.

Well what about the Activision conversions?!, shockingly bad as many have mentioned and the C64 "European" version is a bland piss-poor dullfest and finally it was requested of me to flush it down into the vault of shitness by Youtuber "Northlander72", my thoughts if anyone interested in the video attached.

After Burner (C64) SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]

For those who requested me doing the Amiga "European" version, it was done some time back, video below:

After Burner (Amiga): [ Show youtube player ]

I'm sure the CPC version will also be requested soon

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 July 2022 at 00:53.
Old 13 May 2022, 10:08   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't really like the fast pseudo-3D games like After Burner and Space Harrier, in general. They're so pseudo that I can hardly tell when I'm going to be hit or not, which does not exactly make for fun gameplay. Respect to people who can play these as intended.
Old 13 May 2022, 14:19   #3
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I don't really like the fast pseudo-3D games like After Burner and Space Harrier, in general. They're so pseudo that I can hardly tell when I'm going to be hit or not, which does not exactly make for fun gameplay. Respect to people who can play these as intended.

I loved the Space Harrier arcade as a kid - but I can't really argue with the "loud fast mess" description of Afterburner, and even more so Galaxy Force II which was amazing to look at and absolutely no fun whatsoever. The home conversions of all of them were pretty awful (with the possible exception of the PC Engine versions of Outrun and Afterburner.)
Old 13 May 2022, 14:31   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I never enjoyed Afterburner, but played G-Loc in arcade quite few times, and just realized that there was port on Amiga, never played it. but from looks of it, another shit game time candidate?
Old 13 May 2022, 15:07   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Did many like After Burner in the arcade?! I personally thought it was just a loud fast mess relying on luck than skill to get anywhere in it.

Well what about the Activision conversions?!, shockingly bad as many have mentioned and the C64 "European" version is a bland piss-poor dullfest and finally it was requested of me to flush it down into the vault of shitness by Youtuber "Northlander72", my thoughts if anyone interested in the video attached.

After Burner (C64) SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]

For those who requested me doing the Amiga "European" version, it was done some time back, video below:

After Burner (Amiga): [ Show youtube player ]

I'm sure the CPC version will also be requested soon
The CPC version is perfectly fine. It was very well noted in games magazines back in the day.

The amiga version or the c64.... ahem
Old 14 May 2022, 15:22   #6
Seiya

After Burner is arcade game, so pseudo 3D is ok, but Amiga and C64 not well good conversions.
Old 14 May 2022, 16:49   #7
touko

If I remember correctly, there were two versions of after burner for the amiga .
[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 May 2022, 21:45   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The bad one is the one made by Activision, it was made to run on Atari ST.

The US version made for Amiga only by Weebee Games is way better !
Old 17 May 2022, 05:22   #9
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Not sure which version I had, but I recall enjoying it, mostly because it was easy and I could get quite far into the game.
Old 17 May 2022, 17:16   #10
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I look at the Amiga versions now and although and I'm not so sure It's all that good. I remember thinking it was but that's because it was a step up visually but it's not so convincing now I'm seeing it again. The Argonaut conversion seems closer
Old 17 May 2022, 17:24   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's the trouble of looking again many years later I've been replaying a lot of the games from my youth on the A500 mini (granted: with a piss-poor controller) and ho boy there were some that went from okay to really dire. Navy Seals for example. I could stomach the single-hit death stuff (bullets are deadly after all) and the fact that you have to do leaps of faith and such because it was a pretty cool game otherwise. But it no longer has the coolness factor going for it and now the game is just absolutely terrible to me, so unplayable.

Pseudo 3D games as a kid to me looked extremely next level, Thunder Blade arcade for example I could gawk at for hours, but also games like Buggy Boy were pure magic to me. But yeah, not anymore. Buggy Boy is still cute though.
Old 17 May 2022, 17:45   #12
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That's the trouble of looking again many years later I've been replaying a lot of the games from my youth on the A500 mini (granted: with a piss-poor controller) and ho boy there were some that went from okay to really dire. Navy Seals for example. I could stomach the single-hit death stuff (bullets are deadly after all) and the fact that you have to do leaps of faith and such because it was a pretty cool game otherwise. But it no longer has the coolness factor going for it and now the game is just absolutely terrible to me, so unplayable.

Pseudo 3D games as a kid to me looked extremely next level, Thunder Blade arcade for example I could gawk at for hours, but also games like Buggy Boy were pure magic to me. But yeah, not anymore. Buggy Boy is still cute though.
Yeah I guess it just depends from person to person as well. These days I can't imagine playing a modern day flight sim when I can play any of my favourite 3d flight games on Amiga. I find the 3d flat shaded worlds more real to experience as well. We've generally softened too over the years from playing justifiably easier games and you have to adjust back if you want to enjoy some Amiga games.

There's certainly factors involved and sometimes we can't be bothered adjusting back. I find that generally though that the games that were well designed and fun back then tend to be for me personally with the slightly on the wrong side of difficulty ones needing a little forcing if I do care to play them
Old 17 May 2022, 17:47   #13
DisasterIncarna

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1944