English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 30 November 2021, 18:29   #1
Dradd

Intuition attempting to reset - a query

Hello folks,

Forgive this noob question, but I have a problem and I'd value some advice.

After installing OS3.2 on my real Amiga A1200 (from the ADFs using the Gotek drive), I rebooted and was presented with an AmigaDos window telling my that it had detected my TF accelerator card, and I was missing the relevant CPU libs etc.
This was to be expected as I'd not installed the MMU libs etc.

So I hit return to continue booting and was then presented with a pop up window telling me: "Intuition is attempting to reset the Workbench screen. Please close the following windows: AmigaDos".

The problem I had was that I could see no way to close said AmigaDos window, and no amount of hitting the 'Retry' button would help, and hitting Cancel just stopped the bootup process.

How do I get around this, or actually close the open AmigaDOs window so 'Intuition' can do what it needs to do?

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks.
Old 30 November 2021, 20:27   #2
thomas

You can activate the window and press Ctrl \ to close it.

But that's not your problem. Hitting Cancel should not stop the boot process. The boot process continues anyway in the background, no matter whether or how you reply to the requester. Just the screen mode will not apply if you cancel it.

If the boot process stopped for you, there is something else going wrong.
Old 30 November 2021, 23:06   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

Do what Thomas says, Activate "AmigaDOS" window which had error displayed in it and smash CTRL+\

if error still happens, type "List Libs:" in AmigaDOS or shell menu, and if the libs from TF are not in there you have to manually copy them. I don't own a TF so can't help you.

also a listing of "type s:startup-sequence" and "type s:user-startup" would be nice as well if not working.
Old 01 December 2021, 12:29   #4
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

If you're running 3.2, hold down both mouse buttons and go into the early startup menu. Enter 'Boot Options' and tick 'Trace Startup-Sequence', hit 'Use' then 'Boot'.

It will then let you step through all your startup-sequence lines and you'll be able to pin-point where it craps out on you.
Old 01 December 2021, 22:05   #5
Dradd

Thanks for the replies. I'll try out the suggestions and report back.
Old 03 December 2021, 21:47   #6
Dradd

Okay folks, thanks again for the advice. I'm all sorted now. Found the culprit in my user-startup... the Amiga was hanging when trying to run 'DefIcons'.

I commented out this line, and everything works fine now. Tried it under FS-UAE first to make sure this didn't cause any more problems. It didn't so I editied the user startup on my A1200.

3.2 now fully installed and working a treat with the Terrible Fire 1230 card. Super happy!

Thanks again.
Old 03 December 2021, 22:06   #7
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradd View Post
Okay folks, thanks again for the advice. I'm all sorted now. Found the culprit in my user-startup... the Amiga was hanging when trying to run 'DefIcons'.

I commented out this line, and everything works fine now. Tried it under FS-UAE first to make sure this didn't cause any more problems. It didn't so I editied the user startup on my A1200.

3.2 now fully installed and working a treat with the Terrible Fire 1230 card. Super happy!

Thanks again.
Ah! Likely because 3.2 ships with it's own updated version of deficons (have a look in the WBStartup folder)
Old 05 December 2021, 10:14   #8
Dradd

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Ah! Likely because 3.2 ships with it's own updated version of deficons (have a look in the WBStartup folder)
Okay, that would explain things. Phew. Glad that's sorted now.