English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 November 2021, 16:57   #21
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
But thanks for the positive feedback, feel free to vote in this rather large poll of 22 games
Which positive feedback are you talking about ?
Old 28 November 2021, 19:13   #22
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
I can't afford to check all the games, so I'll just talk about mine (which is why I noticed that some games were missing in first place): why are not ArtPazz and Follix included?
You know... Instead of just having a low tone, you could've just asked nicely and I would've included both games? ( Perhaps I didn't notice them, forgot etc) I went through months upon months of gaming updates on Indie Retro News going back to Jan.

I've added both to the poll votes, good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
it's a really good puzzler which I enjoy a lot

@Neil79: Maybe the voting poll can begin on the 1st of January 2022 (for 1 or 2 months) and take into account all the games that have been released until the 31th of December 2021 ?
Unlike other Game of the Years on other sites, this one can be edited to add games AND users can change their vote if they so wish. Any new games will be added to the Poll and at the bottom of any new game article the poll can be mentioned again . For example if some amazing game comes out in December that's way better than any they've voted previously, they can go into poll and re-do the three choices again

Last edited by Neil79; 28 November 2021 at 19:22.
Old 28 November 2021, 19:56   #23
saimo

@Neil79

Quote:
You know... Instead of just having a low tone, you could've just asked nicely and I would've included both games? ( Perhaps I didn't notice them, forgot etc) I went through months upon months of gaming updates on Indie Retro News going back to Jan.
1. I noticed my games were missing.
2. I checked if other games were missing.
3. I found out other games were missing.
4. In everybody's interest, I (nicely and impersonally) asked why, since I didn't know the criteria used for selecting the games.
5. You provided the criteria according to which the games had been excluded.
6. I checked my games against those criteria (I didn't check also the other games because it would take too much and, anyway, now everybody can do the same verification), found out that they did belong to the poll and reported it.
I believe I behaved correctly towards everybody and that I should not have done it differently.

Quote:
I've added both to the poll votes, good luck
Thank you!

Quote:
Unlike other Game of the Years on other sites, this one can be edited to add games AND users can change their vote if they so wish. Any new games will be added to the Poll and at the bottom of any new game article the poll can be mentioned again . For example if some amazing game comes out in December that's way better than any they've voted previously, they can go into poll and re-do the three choices again
My humble feedback: it doesn't work. Most people will vote the first time they stumble upon the poll and won't notice or care when the poll is updated. I agree with malko's suggestion of waiting for the end of the year. That would ensure complete fairness towards all the games.
That said, it's your poll, so of course feel free to run it as you please.

@malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
it's a really good puzzler which I enjoy a lot
Glad to hear that, thank you!
Old 28 November 2021, 20:02   #24
lmimmfn

Damn you Amiga devs, you make it so difficult to choose
Its been an absolute blinder for Amiga games this year, really appreciate the dev effort and good luck to all!!!
Old 28 November 2021, 20:34   #25
Gzegzolka

Lots of games were made this year and we still have two months to its ends. I think it would be fair to wait till January with this poll.
Old 28 November 2021, 21:18   #26
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Agreed, I think IRN deserves credit for this initiative nontheless. Hope it continues next year as well. As for the games themselves, this year has been a blast so far. Loads of great titles to choose from, I only wish I could choose more than 3
Old 28 November 2021, 23:57   #27
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Cheers Tsak much appreciated!

Hayesmaker usually does the C64 Game of the Year, but I've never done one before. So I thought it was the Amiga's time to shine

I have a feeling who might win, but it's going to be a tough fight that's for sure
Old 02 December 2021, 15:43   #28
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Some of those games were either unreleased and now found and recovered, a few were ports that required very high end Amiga's and not the original code from the dev, a couple were RE-RELEASED, a few were not featured on IRN (rare) or are still in beta. But thanks for the positive feedback, feel free to vote in this rather large poll of 22 games

Hold on.. You are saying that if a game isn't featured on your website it osnt entered?

That's a bit cheap isnt it?
Old 02 December 2021, 16:10   #29
BippyM
Global Moderator

I am removing the link to this post. I'm sorry but this is unfair and not secure.

I have voted multiple times using incognito mode. This needs to be done in a way that is fair to every game released on the Amiga in 2021. If it isn't "featured" on IRN, why not? Do you pick amd choose what you cover based on whether you get exclusivity or?

Make the poll fair, and secure and you can promote it on eab.
Old 02 December 2021, 16:45   #30
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Hold on.. You are saying that if a game isn't featured on your website it osnt entered?

That's a bit cheap isnt it?

No? I've added a ton of C64 games not featured on the site. Why did it take you nearly two weeks to just talk to me?

No idea why EAB is so hostile considering how many times EAB has been featured on IRN. Don't think I'll do a GOTY next year to be honest.

If I've missed ANY games on the poll, please just reply with the game that was released has to be 2021 and I'll add it

Also there is only so much control I have over a free Poll as it's off site, in fact it's one of the sites recommended to me in November when I asked around on Facebook! To have even further features it will cost me £29 a month just for one poll!! I mean seriously how can I make the poll more secure without such heavy cost when the poll was not developed by me, that's like asking me to make Facebook easier to use, because I have a page on Facebook

My feeling of EAB has yet again dropped off, everything I've done for this forum, new members, game mentions etc really Sad

Here's just a small taste where I've told people to come to EAB

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/1...a-game-in.html
http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/1...e-to.html#more
http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/1...difficult.html
http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/1...ss-ms-dos.html

Last edited by Neil79; 02 December 2021 at 17:08.
Old 02 December 2021, 17:30   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

The issue isn't thr fact you're doing a poll.. The issue is it onky features games you have featured on IRN, but mainly because it isn't secure. I was able to vote multiple times using incognito.. Fix the security issue so that it is a 100% fair poll.

This has nothing to do politics.... Fix the multiple voting issue and stop throwing your toys out of the pram
Old 02 December 2021, 17:46   #32
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

When I try to do right for the community, when I want to something special, something I've never done before of the skin off my own back and I get shot down for it, without so much as a polite request. Like someone barking orders with a finger point demand, of cause I'm going to react.

There was a better way of doing this!

I've just paid $29 to make the poll more secure, hopefully I can cancel it before I get charged another $29 a month. So now even money is coming out of my pocket! Will I get a thank you? Probably not
Old 02 December 2021, 19:49   #33
BippyM
Global Moderator

Man, if you're doing a poll for the best game of the year, it needs to be secure, and made so the voting can't be messed with.. If you really can't see the issue with that, then that's on you. Don't blame be for wanting it to be fair and cheating not allowed.

You could have created a poll here for free, but you're not doing that because it won't bring eab traffic to your site
Old 02 December 2021, 20:01   #34
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Well it's been fixed now as I've paid for a one month starter package out of my own pocket as long as it supports the Amiga community and the end result is a damn fine game of the year!

"Votes based on IP and Browser "

So you are most welcome
Old 05 December 2021, 23:42   #35
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Super Delivery Boy - The Holiday Shift and Turbo Santa have been added! Good luck to the entries
Old 06 December 2021, 13:15   #36
roondar

I still can't fathom why Abu Simbel <<etc>> is getting so many votes. It doesn't really appear to be a game on the level of most of the other picks. It's just a simple flick-screen platformer and not really all that interesting.

Perhaps I'm just weird with my taste in games?
I just can't see why people prefer it over games like Metal Gear, TinyUs, Shadow of Sergoth, Inviyya, Turbo Sprint, Turbo Tomato, etc, etc.
Old 06 December 2021, 13:20   #37
BippyM
Global Moderator

Neil, it's great to see you have fixed it so only one entry per ip is allowed. How are you confirming the integriry of the poll? Did you remove all the old votes? I don't for one second believe the game cyrrently leading is beijg fairly voted on.

I don't want you to feel im picking things apart, but this kind of thing needs to be airtight.. Maybe you should have had announced it in October or November with a go livr fate of Dec 1st to allow all devs to have their game featured. Saying a game isnt included it IRN has frstured it is meh... And also i think uwers wanting to vote should log in to have the vote counted, ornat least have it tied to an email address..

I love the idea, but the implementation, security and integrity are substandard and this can only damage IRN reputation if a god awful game wins becuase of cheating..

Just a thought
Old 06 December 2021, 19:19   #38
Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I still can't fathom why Abu Simbel <<etc>> is getting so many votes. It doesn't really appear to be a game on the level of most of the other picks. It's just a simple flick-screen platformer and not really all that interesting.
Well, I guess it has to do with the fact that it's a particularly difficult classic game that many of us have played on other systems (mainly 8-bit), and that hasn't been properly ported to Amiga until now (the previous version was, well, suboptimal to say the least...). This is IMHO, of course.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 06 December 2021, 19:45   #39
Mixel

Slayers Of High Toro should also be on the list? It’d definitely be one of my top 3. It came out in ‘21 and runs on A500s, was critically well received and is a standout within its genre.
Old 06 December 2021, 20:22   #40
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Slayers Of High Toro should also be on the list? It’d definitely be one of my top 3. It came out in ‘21 and runs on A500s, was critically well received and is a standout within its genre.
Added!