English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 August 2001, 15:05   #1
MethodGit

Eek Godflesh FTP Shock

Yesterday, I read on HIS page that he had activated 5 new FTPs. I decided to investigate to see whether they would block me out almost immediately. But then I tried the first mirror, and.....

Wow. It let me in instantly, it was particularly speedy, and it could download stuff at a hefty rate most of the time. Okay, it doesn't have exactly EVERYTHING from the old FTPs yet (it currently lacks the original disks, the CDTV/32 ISOs, and the public uploads section, etc.), but I could find several things I wanted, although I didn't actually download as much as I initially thought I would want to get out of the FTPs because before then I already grabbed a truckload of stuff from other sites like PE2000, Amigaroms.de, LeChuck's, Amiga Power (not the magazine), BTTR, etc. It's not all perfect though, for so far I have only managed to get into mirrors 1, 2 & 5.

Just thought I'd mention that since it is rather a surprise and a refreshment from someone who is known throughout the Amiga scene as a "promise-breaker" when it comes to fully active FTPs...
Old 09 August 2001, 15:45   #2
sborat

Marz,
what are the links to those FTP sites ?

Old 09 August 2001, 15:54   #3
Big-Byte
Long time member

Ftp link.

Ive managed to get a fair bit from this ftp......

ftp://amiga4ever:godflesh@208.246.34.51:55555/GAMEZ/A/

Replace the 'A' with B, C, D, E etc...
Old 09 August 2001, 17:53   #4
Amiga1992

Like, didnt we AGREE to stop the talk about this guy? Don't go on.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 09 August 2001 at 19:48.
Old 09 August 2001, 18:41   #5
MethodGit

@sborat

You can find out login details for the FTPs right here:

http://sunrise.horizon.nl/~godflesh/download.html

@Akira

Look, I'd thought I'd mention it since it is something rather special happening...
Old 09 August 2001, 18:58   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I don't think it's special at all. We have been hearing about these ftp's forever. It has been widely discussed here and we all decided that we'd had enough. Just because there is a place to leech now doesn't mean anything has changed with the attitude of Godflesh nor the fact that there is no camaraderie between his world and this one.

I'm not even going to go back through it all because everyone knows. If you want to go download from his ftp's, go for it. But as Akira reminded you, we agreed that neither Godflesh nor his ftp's would be a topic here! Regardless of how special you may find this. How hard is that to understand?
Old 10 August 2001, 12:36   #7
Peanutuk

for god sake chill out.......

............pha
Old 10 August 2001, 20:56   #8
GODFLESH

Smile Thanks...

glad you like the ftp's...

The reason why you couldn't get into the other ftp's could be because they were full...when you tried to connect.

..but please use this url: http://aen.da.ru/ (which is the official link to my site)

Old 10 August 2001, 21:15   #9
RCK
Administrator

Post Re: Godflesh FTP Shock

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
But then I tried the first mirror, and.....

Wow. It let me in instantly, it was particularly speedy, and it could download stuff at a hefty rate most of the time.
Normal, the first FTP is maintained by PhuSion, Godflesh should be very thankful with him about his services ...

---------------------------------------------
// Now, I would like that everybody stop speaking about thoses FTPs, cause each time a little war have started, and I don't want to see those kind of behavior here, okay ?

note:
I let the thread open. but it will be closed if something degenerate.
Old 10 August 2001, 22:19   #10
icycool
Banned

Well, I don't care about the ftp's, but I must say, I do like the page format and design of Mr Flesh's site
Old 11 August 2001, 00:19   #11
P-J

Indeeed...

I get a good connection to phusion's FTP, and I'm leeching the contents so I can fill some holes in my collection.

Averaging 20-25kb/s which is ok
Old 11 August 2001, 06:56   #12
APFelon
Cable Buyer

I wonder why anyone cares about this whole FTP thing? (SERIOUS wondering, so if you can provide an answer, please do so)

There is a line in Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange'- "If you need a motor-car, you pluck it from the trees. If you need pretty polly, you take it". Is this EAB so limited as to seek another source of 'needed' games? If you truly need it, can't you ask for it here and receive it? Must the gratification be so fast that it be instant?

At risk of finding my "name" on Godflesh's front page, I really don't understand why these FTPs exist in the first place. Are disk images so hard to come by that people must flock to an impersonal FTP?

As a past contributor to Godflesh's FTP, I don't believe he needs my or anyone elses contributions or logtime. Let the ignorant flock to Godflesh's FTPs, and let the enlightened gather here.

I hope I didn't betray RCK's trust in not starting a 'war', as that is not of interest to me. I sincerely believe that if someone (whether it is RCK or GodFlesh) provides a community, that outweighs ADFs and FTPs.

/me shrugs, sighs, and stoicly waits for a reply
Old 11 August 2001, 09:57   #13
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Quote:
Are disk images so hard to come by that people must flock to an impersonal FTP?
Who said that FTPs aren't 'part of the community'? There are still many games that you can't find on websites, and some sites (DreamZone, but actually it's an FTP too) are restricted. So I'm happy to have access to FTPs to fulfill some of my weird requests.
Old 11 August 2001, 10:42   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No surprise from me, but I agree with APF. I'd rather do without something than to have to get it from a place I feel is disreputable.

On the other hand, I doubt seriously there is anything on there that I don't already have...
Old 11 August 2001, 12:48   #15
MethodGit

Thumbs down Umm, APFelon.....?

Quote:
Originally posted by APFelon
Is this EAB so limited as to seek another source of 'needed' games? If you truly need it, can't you ask for it here and receive it? Must the gratification be so fast that it be instant?
I tried this many times, but nowadays I just get a whole lot of flak for asking for games in the first place, and therefore no-one decides to help me in the end. So I'm pretty much stuck.
Old 11 August 2001, 13:19   #16
P-J

And....

...and I share musical interest with Godflesh, so I'm not gonna say anything

I just sent him Sepultura - Sepulnation as a great 'theme song' for his site
Old 11 August 2001, 17:10   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I guess G*dflesh was right...once his ftp's go up, everyone loves him. And they say Americans are shallow and superficial...
Old 11 August 2001, 18:07   #18
GODFLESH

I am not interested in being "loved" by everybody...Twistin.

The goal of AEN is to provide people with a service..to deliver the stuff they have been looking for in a long time to complete their collection.

I just try to help people in my best way possible...that's all.

Old 11 August 2001, 18:24   #19
RCK
Administrator

Exclamation warning guys ...

Don't start to insulting each others ...
Stay clean & cool.
Old 12 August 2001, 00:49   #20
Ian
Global Moderator

I agree

Now I'm no big fan of Godflesh as seen last week on another board, but I have got to admit that although no use to me, his FTP's are great for people who are just starting out in the Amiga emulation scene or those just looking to complete their collections, sorta like the K-Mart or ASDA for amiga ADF's.

I have decided to let bygones be bygones and move on, and it's seems so has Godflesh (ie No hate campaign nonsense), if you cannot forgive Godflesh for his errors in the past, that's fine with me, no harm, no foul, but I think we should give him a break and let him get on with his stuff.

Godflesh has done as promised, albeit later than planned, so I suggest we cut him some slack and stop all this bickaring that's doing no-one any favours ........ However this works both ways Godflesh, you must also stop flying off the handle at slightest critisism.

Critisism in my book is very positive, without it how can you improve? If you don't know what's wrong, how can you fix it, case in point, your site and it's lack of compatablity with Netscape and other browsers, which you are/were trying to fix. If Twistin' never mentioned it, would you have known?? I think the answer to that is no.

If both sides agree to disagree on some subjects, maybe, just maybe the Amiga scene will become alot better, I think we should at least give it a go.

If you disagree with me that's fine, that's your choice, but in my view it will do no harm to at least try.