Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 October 2021, 20:47   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Cool
Old 09 November 2022, 11:52   #22
flav_de

Hello,

one question to anyone who played the german version. I started to play Amberstar in german but recognized that the available german (WHDLoad) bundles seem to be kind of broken. The texts in direct conversations (e.g. with Silk or Breth in the Inn in Twinlake ) read like random words from the localization file. See also the screenshot attached. All other texts in "Bubble" conversations are fine. I tried different Amberstar WHDLoad Bundles from different places, also both versions (De and DeFast) from the EAB Fileserver. The english version(s) seems to be ok textwise.

Does anyone experience the same odd behaviour or knows how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohne Titel.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	77022  
Old 09 November 2022, 15:12   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Which version are you using?

There is a lot of confusion surrounding the origin of Amberstar DE v1.93 (floating around the net).

No-one has ever come forward with original disks of v1.93. All versions of v1.93 ever seen have been modified. No-one has ever analysed the differences between v1.73 and v1.93

See which version you have and switch to the other? See if it fixes your issues? Let us know.

Last edited by alexh; 09 November 2022 at 15:26.
Old 09 November 2022, 15:15   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Perhaps don't use the WHDload version?

The original disks have a perfectly working HDD installer on them. BUT Amberstar doesn't like CPU caches. You must turn them off before you play and before you try to install.

Easy to do from a shell/cli or just for Amberstar adding a few lines to it's icon-x scripts, or using a GUI based util from Aminet.
Old 10 November 2022, 10:11   #25
flav_de

ok, thanks for your suggestions! I will have a look and report back. today evening, when I'm back at my Amiga.
Old 11 November 2022, 17:01   #26
flav_de

After spending some time searching and trial and error, I found several things through your tip:

The buggy versions are both v1.93.

I tried to install from different German 1.73 versions (adf and ipf). All versions seem to dislike OS 3.0 setups. After I specify dh0: as target, it starts for a second and then an "error reading disks" appears. But installing to floppy disks works. And the texts are fine when played from these game disks.

Meanwhile I found another German 1.93 version in use with WHDLoad. It doesn't seem to be broken and all texts are fine. Maybe the broken versions I tried before came from the same source. One of the broken version was from the EAB file server some time ago.

But thanks a lot for your quick support! Now I can finally play the predecessor of Ambermoon, which I played through more than once.
Old 11 November 2022, 20:00   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Can't you put the working one in the zone?