English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 05 April 2020, 19:02   #1
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Lemon/EAB Super League 2020 - Round 5 - Jaguar XJ220

EAB/Lemon Super League 2020: Round 5 - Jaguar XJ220

Starts: April 5th 2020 Finishes: 23:59 April 25th UK Time.

Rules:
Starts now, ends at 11:59pm (midnight) UK time on Saturday, April 25th 2020.
Score as many points as possible during this time-frame.
Post screenshots of your high score in this thread, and write the score underneath.
Screenshot maximum size of 500px width please, or use a thumbnail.
Don't cheat! No continues, passwords, score leeching, trainers or savestates.
Play UK, FRA, GER, ITA, GRC, EGY.
Take a screenshot on any map screen.
Total = Countries Completed x 100k + cash.
or
Take a snapshot of the Race Results and the Championship Points table.
Total = Championship Points x (1Million normal mode) (or 500k turbo mode) + cash.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Game Info:
Jaguar Lemon Page

Get the Game
[ADF1] [ADF2] - Skidrow
[WHDLoad] - Image version

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Results and Standings
- Lemon thread
- Live League Ladder

League table:

Last edited by lifeschool; 08 May 2020 at 00:50.
Old 05 April 2020, 19:04   #2
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Im not sure if its possible to get a 'race over' in Jag, but Im sure we will soon find out. Its been a while, but Im guessing low scoring final positions doesnt boot you out of the championship, so that would mean instant qualification for the next race.

Jag features 12 countries, 3 races in each, so thats 36 races - which takes 3 hours. As this might be difficult for casual players to play this, we thought it might be an idea to half this distance down to 1.5 hours by halving the races. 3 hours isnt really long enough to be an Endurance Round, and players may only make mistakes by being bored. But if there are players who suggest we should go the whole distance, we can see about this later.

I've no idea if the ADFs work, so these are a guide. PlanetEmu was understandably running very slowly today as gamers all over the work tap into their Retro heritage. WHDLoad seems to be fine. I chose the Image version as this seemed most compatible.
Old 05 April 2020, 20:56   #3
capehorn

I've just had a go at this before the thread was posted, so I didn't know about the rules.

Just FYI, I completed 8/12 countries before running out of money. That took 3.5 hours, a full run to the end would be over 5 hours! I think going the whole distance is out of the question.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'the first six countries'? On the map screen that would be Eng/Egy/Sui/Usa/Can/Jap. The only thing about that is you need to be able to afford to travel to those countries. I've not tested this, but that might be an expensive route and players might run out of money (Can/Jap is probably the most expensive trip in the game).
Old 05 April 2020, 21:03   #4
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Thanks capehorn. I havent had a chance to look into this game, but it would be great if we can clear up the rules early.

What happens if you cant afford to fly to a new country? I think it might be an instant Game over? If this is the case then it would be better to stick to European locations, and do a smaller Euro Tour?
Old 05 April 2020, 21:20   #5
capehorn

Lotus, surprisingly, could be classed as a game of finance just as much as a game of racing. You need to constantly be sure you can afford to repair your car, as well as being able to afford your next trip. If you run out of money, it's game over.

I lost my game because I couldn't afford a new engine. They cost $80,000, and with only $27,000 awarded for a race win, I would have needed to have conserved my money a lot better to have been able to afford it.

On the map screen, you have free-will to go to any country that you can afford, but the longer the trip, the more the cost, so Can-Jap isn't a trip you would sensibly make.

For example, flying from Brazil to Japan costs $27,000 whereas travelling between European countries costs $6,000 or less (I think Switzerland to Italy was only $1,000), so keeping this a European competition would make sense I think.
Old 05 April 2020, 22:59   #6
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Thats good to know. I tried to go bankrupt by spending all my cash on repairs, but even with zero the game continued with 1000 free credit.

How about players can take a screenshot of the map screen, after any country, and they get a token 1M per country. Thats 6M + cash at the end if they do the whole run. Or the option to post the results and championship tables when they have had enough. That way, people would only need to score more than 6 championship points to get more score than simply playing through the whole Tour from the map screen. ?

Last edited by lifeschool; 05 April 2020 at 23:18.
Old 05 April 2020, 23:16   #7
john4p
Competition Moderator

You already get 1M for a every championship point so no need to make this more complicated.

Let's just stop after the 6th country then - which doesn't have to be Japan.
Old 05 April 2020, 23:17   #8
capehorn

I'm not sure anyone wants to play this for 5 hours straight. I think you had it mostly right the first time - just lets swap the countries for the six European countries - set an exact route people should take (say, Eng-Fra-Ger-Sui-Ita-Aus) and take a screenshot of both your final points and the map screen showing you have completed the six countries, which will also show your remaining cash. That right there will be around a 2 hour game, and I think some players will want to post a score without even getting that far.

The only way to get a game over in this game is to run out of cash. That tends to happen in the second half of the game as you need to spend big bucks repairing the expensive components of your car, with this method we wouldn't get far enough for that to be an issue.
Old 05 April 2020, 23:38   #9
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I spent all my cash on repairs so I had zero, and the game still continued by giving me money. I like the Euro Route idea, so the rules now say we must take the route from the UK to Egypt. I think we can skip the awful cliff levels of Switzerland.

John, in my trials, its possible to do badly and score no championship points, even after a few races, so people who get far but dont score points can only post their cash? This seems unfair and we should at least allow a token score for completing a set of races.

Last edited by lifeschool; 06 April 2020 at 00:38.
Old 06 April 2020, 07:24   #10
john4p
Competition Moderator

^ Fair enough.
Old 07 April 2020, 16:01   #11
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Ok, a small tweak to the rules today, countries bonus is now worth 100K instead of 1M. Yes this only comes into play if a player gets zero champ points, so if they get 1 point, this is more than the 600k maximum countries score.
Old 07 April 2020, 22:48   #12
capehorn

It took almost 3 hours to complete the 6 countries.
Old 07 April 2020, 23:10   #13
jotd
This cat is no more

is it me or this game is super easy? I think I completed it without losing once back in the days. Definitely not going to compete. Boring (but superb music)...
Old 08 April 2020, 16:51   #14
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Great going Capehorn - glad we can make the scoring system work for this game.

jotd - I always beat every level in 1st but somehow I cant do it now, seems harder than I remember.
Old 08 April 2020, 23:09   #15
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
[...] I think we can skip the awful cliff levels of Switzerland. [...]
Tss, tss, tss...
CH has the most beautiful landscapes in the world (but, for sure, on the mountain roads, your stomach must be well fasten . Not for everybody...).
Old 09 April 2020, 18:03   #16
arcanist

First attempt. Think I failed to qualify for the rest and got kicked back to the title screen.

I like the track variety, though they're quite long. This is a game I play a few tracks, then leave on pause and come back the next day.
Old 09 April 2020, 19:24   #17
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ You should take care with your comment. Some may interpret and say that you are gaining an advantage over others players that are playing the game in a row...
Old 10 April 2020, 01:28   #18
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
... This is a game I play a few tracks, then leave on pause and come back the next day.
BTW, Which is not allowed during the course of the competition. But I assume your were speaking more generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
^ You should take care with your comment. Some may interpret and say that you are gaining an advantage over others players that are playing the game in a row...
You should take care, some may interpret your comments as being a dick.
Old 10 April 2020, 01:44   #19
arcanist

Leaving the Amiga sitting at the map screen for a while isn't allowed? That's surprising to me.

Uh... better delete my score.
Old 10 April 2020, 10:13   #20
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
[...] You should take care, some may interpret your comments as being a dick.
At first glance I would say that this comment sounds like an insult (). Did I insult anyone ?
However, as a francophone, being far from knowing all the subtleties of Shakespeare's language, I'll save that first impression on a comment coming from the moderator of this thread.

Last edited by malko; 10 April 2020 at 10:34. Reason: typo