English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 April 2016, 18:34   #1
MangoAmiga

Help please AMIGA CD32 Problem!

Hi
Im new to the Amiga CD32 scene, havent really heard of it until recently after growing somewhat tired of my other consoles i started exploring other avenues, so after reading extensively of a dedicated Amiga games console which played CDs not floppy discs i was overly excited . I previously toyed with the idea of buying another A500 but the space all of the hardware takes up put me off, then i see the CD32 and i thought thats just the ticket, small(ish) decent library (from what ive read) and a port for A1200 if i ever wanted, Excellent!.....

So i bought one recently, i was told it was working but hadnt been switched on for 10+ years. So once i hooked it up to the TV and plugged it in, 1st thing i noticed was a very Dim Green power led. The blank picture shifted on the TV so i knew it was receiving a signal of sorts. CD wouldnt spin/load.
I switched it off checked power supply was firmly in and switched back on - No dimly lit Green power led anymore! no lights at all.

After searching around for answers i found out a usual repair on these is bad caps near the power supply so i set about changing them, they were indeed bulging at the top. And apparently facing the 'wrong way'.

After i soldered some new ones in, switched it on, nothing! no Green power led or anything. Can anyone please advise of the next step i should take as im itching to play some Amiga games ever since i had a A500 20 years ago!

Sam

Old 24 April 2016, 18:41   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Hi,

Just to say that with CD32load & all unofficial compilations, the CD32 is beginning to become the best integrated and cheapest gaming machine, before the A500 and even the A1200 because of its compact design. So good choice, unless you want to play adventure games where keyboard and/or gamesave matter.

About your problem, I cannot help but I'm sure other ppl can: this is the proper place to ask! So Welcome and good luck.

(the "no spin on CD" happens sometimes with mine, it's just a wrong contact on the cd motor, I fiddle with it and it works, didn't have the problem for quite a while now, but your case seems more serious...)
Old 24 April 2016, 20:20   #3
bebek

Amiga CD32 has problems with all caps and they can do quite a damage there. Replace them all and look for damaged tracks, vias around.
Old 24 April 2016, 20:40   #4
MangoAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebek View Post
Amiga CD32 has problems with all caps and they can do quite a damage there. Replace them all and look for damaged tracks, vias around.
Thanks for reply, my fixing of electronics knowledge is limited. How would you check for damaged tracks with a multimeter for continuity, just observation or both? What are the signs to look out for?

Ive checked for bulging on the 30 or so other caps but cant see anything amiss, the job of changing the lot seems daunting as im not overly fast, although i will do it if need be.

I have a voltage pen tester and i can confirm there is a feed going to the reset/volume/headphone control panel, but like i said previously no green LED so maybe its blown but im not getting any picture anyway so that might be 1 of a few problems.

Your help is appreciated

Old 25 April 2016, 11:22   #5
rockape

Hi MangoAmiga,

See http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/amiga/cd32/index.html

For a lot of info about the CD32.

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
Old 26 April 2016, 17:24   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoAmiga View Post
And apparently facing the 'wrong way'.
I thought that was "ok" in the CD32, did you change the way they faced?
Old 27 April 2016, 00:55   #7
Stedy

Hi,

With the power supply disconnected, try operating the power switch 20-30 times to clean the contacts. The story goes that the power switches were left over from the C64 so were 10 years old before they made it to the CD32. I bypassed the switch with some solder, see the attached picture.

Get yourself a cheap multimeter off Ebay or Conrad electronics and measure the exact voltage.

The only two capacitors I've replaced on my CD32 were the 1000uF and 470uF capacitors that were incorrectly inserted at the factory, the same two you have already replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-switch-mod.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	48282  

Last edited by Stedy; 27 April 2016 at 00:55. Reason: Clarification of first test.