English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 September 2023, 11:40   #1
Amiga A500 Rulz
Banned

Most pointless Amiga released games?

Yes I know the question sounds very open, I mean there were alot of terrible games released on all formats which should never have seen the light of day but I'm coming from a slightly different angle here, my vote goes to Rise of The Robots simply because of the INSANE amount of disks it came with combined with only 4 drives being able to be used on the real hardware,...swap, swap, swap, swap,.SWAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!

I mean WHAT were they thinking that this game would be a practical release with all those disks and the price they asked along with the crap game result.

Plenty of other games out there that do not ustilise more than 1 drive even though there was plenty of memory left on those disks to allow it,...lazy coding?!

Last edited by Amiga A500 Rulz; 23 September 2023 at 12:09.
Old 23 September 2023, 12:56   #2
Megalomaniac

At least it was hard drive installable unlike most beat 'em ups (one genre of action games which always had a lot of disk accessing and swapping, as each change of opponent means loading a new large sprite and usually new often-animated background visuals). If it had been great, people might've bought hard drives primarily to play it. Games which needed an Amiga faster than an A500 aren't pointless to me, for the same reasons. Something like Bump N Burn coming on 6 disks but not being hard drive installable was worse, purely on that level.

I think supporting 2 drives needed extra memory available in DOS but not for non-DOS games - anything which discarded the OS but needed more than very occasional disk swaps deserves criticism for that.

Also, ROTR was always going to sell well, because of the graphics and the associated hype around it (not to mention the refusal to send out review copies, only allowing magazines to either review it from a couple of hours' play in Time Warner's office, or wait until it was released and buy it themselves) meant it was always going to sell.
Old 23 September 2023, 13:33   #3
demether

Worst game ever : AKIRA.
Old 23 September 2023, 23:37   #4
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
Worst game ever : AKIRA.

Nah, Yolanda
Old 24 September 2023, 10:53   #5
Megalomaniac

Yolanda, as a £20 remake of a 4-year-old forgotten old-fashioned £2 budget game with only improved graphics (though barely average for the 16-bits for 1990) and a sex change for the main character, is a contender for the most pointless release, it terms of that hat it had almost no hope of selling.

Akira, as a cool trendy license, was always going to sell something, regardless of quality - though apparently the levels after the opening motorbike level aren't quite as bad?
Old 24 September 2023, 18:29   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

At least AKIRA came with a nice T-Shirt!
Old 24 September 2023, 18:36   #7
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
Yolanda, as a £20 remake of a 4-year-old forgotten old-fashioned £2 budget game with only improved graphics (though barely average for the 16-bits for 1990) and a sex change for the main character, is a contender for the most pointless release, it terms of that hat it had almost no hope of selling.
Did you mean this one ?
[ Show youtube player ]

Looks fun
Savage, even
Old 24 September 2023, 18:53   #8
sokolovic

Akira is probably one of the worst ever Amiga only released game, especially because it was such a big IP at that time.

I still don't understand how a great japanese IP like that ended up in the hands of an unknown UK software house.

Such a shame.
Old 24 September 2023, 19:42   #9
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Battletoads?
Old 24 September 2023, 19:57   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladR View Post
Did you mean this one ?
[ Show youtube player ]
Looks fun
Savage, even
It is. The most impressive is that some managed to finish it
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 September 2023, 22:26   #11
zipper

Touring Car Challenge!
Old 24 September 2023, 22:42   #12
ransom1122

Top Banana

Old 25 September 2023, 00:08   #13
oscar_ates

I think oscar goes to Dangerous Streets
Old 25 September 2023, 07:40   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Playing Rise of the Robots from floppy should count as clinical masochism

'Pointless' game... there are a lot of shoot 'em ups that are quite bland and play very similar to each other. I'd say those are what I would call 'pointless' if they were released commercially.
Old 25 September 2023, 08:43   #15
kremiso

not the worst case but Impossible Mission 2025
touch a milestone just to release another bland game
Old 25 September 2023, 09:02   #16
Amigajay

Not sure pointless should equal worst game, otherwise we have done that hundreds of times.
Off the top of my head Street Fighter II was one of the most pointless Amiga games in its finished form, if you can’t have the game at a decent playable level i.e speed and animation frames, along with 6 button controls on 1 joystick button, bar from the obvious plan of making money it was a pointless port in the first place.
Old 25 September 2023, 09:46   #17
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
along with 6 button controls on 1 joystick button
I really can't read that anymore. The Amiga supported two buttons and LOTS of games made use of that. SF2 as well. There's even a later version that removed the 1-button option completely. (hint: the joystick icon has the number 1 or 2 next to it - guess what that means?)

When I got my first A500 back in the day, I used a Sega Master System gamepad right from the outset (because I had it for reasons I can't remember). It was totally normal for me to have two buttons and the 2nd button worked in most games I played at the time. People should really stop calling the Amiga a system with only 1 button only because they all re-used their old joysticks from the Atari 2600 or C64...
Old 25 September 2023, 11:09   #18
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
I really can't read that anymore. The Amiga supported two buttons and LOTS of games made use of that. SF2 as well. There's even a later version that removed the 1-button option completely. (hint: the joystick icon has the number 1 or 2 next to it - guess what that means?)

When I got my first A500 back in the day, I used a Sega Master System gamepad right from the outset (because I had it for reasons I can't remember). It was totally normal for me to have two buttons and the 2nd button worked in most games I played at the time. People should really stop calling the Amiga a system with only 1 button only because they all re-used their old joysticks from the Atari 2600 or C64...
Chill your boots! No need to get snarky! 1 button, 2 button it was still behind the trend, and developers had to support the lowest common denominator which in alot of cases was a 1 button joystick, but yeah Amiga SF2 on a 2 button stick was soo much better (sarc),.
Old 25 September 2023, 11:40   #19
Megalomaniac

I think the entire point of the Street Fighter II conversion was to make money. The unfortunate rookie programmer probably did his best against an impossible deadline without enough support. If US Gold had done it properly as an Amiga original designed around multi-button controllers, putting twice as much time and money into it, it might've sold 20% more copies, tops. Kids asked their parents for it long before it was finished or reviewed. Nothing pointless about it, sadly.
Old 25 September 2023, 13:16   #20
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Chill your boots! No need to get snarky! 1 button, 2 button it was still behind the trend, and developers had to support the lowest common denominator which in alot of cases was a 1 button joystick, but yeah Amiga SF2 on a 2 button stick was soo much better (sarc),.
In that case why developpers made games for 1MB only Amiga ? Expanding ram was more expansive than buying a 2 button joystick/joypad.