English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 September 2021, 08:09   #1
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

will there ever be an US Amiga magazine again?

I have been greatly enjoying the new English print Amiga magazines, having something that I can read away from the computer screen makes it more meaningful experience, at least for myself. However I grew up with the US Amiga magazines, Amiga World, Amazing Computing and the third escapes me now. Recently I was looking through some scanned copies I had of AW and AA, and it struck me that it might be worthwhile for another Amiga magazine to make it`s way. Amiga Addict is great but it is quite game focused which was true for a lot of the UK Amiga mags back in the day. The American Amiga magazines however were more focused on `what` you could do with your Amiga and less on the games. If I am honest I learnt far more from AW and AA than the UK magazines. Maybe it is just a pipedream but I hope that a new Amiga magazine will come out in the style of Amiga World and Amazing Amiga, there is so much stuff that can be covered again for the new and old users and would compliment the gaming centered Amiga Addict.

Last edited by amifan; 15 September 2021 at 04:30.
Old 14 September 2021, 12:20   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

All the current Amiga magazines are focused on games. Applications and utilities are a definite afterthought if covered at all. They would rather do the hundredth review of Amiga Forever and the latest Backbone game that took 2 hours to make :-(

Last edited by Minuous; 14 September 2021 at 12:34.
Old 14 September 2021, 13:13   #3
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Yes, I do feel that, the serious applications and utilities are are really lacking in any coverage. It is such a shame since the Amiga was so much more than just a games machine, the US magazines seemed to realise that. I would love to see tutorials on how to 3D render in various applications on the Amiga, word processors, image processing, music, programming, getting online and etc.
Old 14 September 2021, 17:08   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Yeah historically, the US mags were more focused on creative applications and productivity. I have been writing the 'Creative Revolution' articles for Amiga Addict which is a first step in that direction. A few others have been looking at music and I suspect coding won't be far behind. I definitely think there is a market for it, but it is going to require the community to jump in and do it.

Given enough support, I think there is a whole mag of articles that could be written on these subjects.
Old 14 September 2021, 17:58   #5
zipper

Amigafuture has quite broad content of all things concerning Amiga: https://www.amigafuture.de/app.php/info/
Old 14 September 2021, 18:44   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Not really, in fact AF are a good example of what I mean. Eg. they have reviewed Amiga Forever and C64 Forever a total of 19 times now :-/
Old 14 September 2021, 18:53   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Not really, in fact AF are a good example of what I mean. Eg. they have reviewed Amiga Forever and C64 Forever a total of 19 times now :-/
Don't call it "AF". I see "AF" and only, ONLY ever think of the classic, legendary "Amiga Format".
Old 15 September 2021, 04:41   #8
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Amiga Future has a little more `serious` articles but not near the level of Amiga World and Amazing Computing, it is really sobering looking at those magazines. It is something that at least for me I would pay for.

I was thinking last night, what would I do if I had the chance to bring back another Amiga World/Amazing Computing style magazine and there is so much to cover such as:

Masterclass section
-Lightwave 101/Imagine 101/Cinema 4D 101
-Protracker 101
-Brilliance 101
-Amos 101
-Image FX 101
Other Articles
-Real world use of the Amiga
-VT(Video Toaster) and YouTube
-How to wirelessly print from your Amiga
-Using an Amiga for modern day presentations i.e connecting to a projector.
-Amiga user perspectives from the States
-US Amiga hardware manufactures.
These are just a few but I could go on an on, there is real huge potential there since a lot of the software is now freely available but the skills on how to use them are not. There is so much talent and knowledge that is unique to the US Amiga scene, it seems such a waste to not have it in written form again.
Old 15 September 2021, 16:04   #9
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I hear you. So a lot of those packages you list have their manuals online and that would be a good place to start. Manuals were the chief way you got to know the software. There are some videos available at https://amigavideo.net/ which would give you some more help.
Old 15 September 2021, 17:44   #10
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
Amiga Future has a little more `serious` articles but not near the level of Amiga World and Amazing Computing, it is really sobering looking at those magazines. It is something that at least for me I would pay for.

I was thinking last night, what would I do if I had the chance to bring back another Amiga World/Amazing Computing style magazine and there is so much to cover such as:

Masterclass section
-Lightwave 101/Imagine 101/Cinema 4D 101
-Protracker 101
-Brilliance 101
-Amos 101
-Image FX 101
Other Articles
-Real world use of the Amiga
-VT(Video Toaster) and YouTube
-How to wirelessly print from your Amiga
-Using an Amiga for modern day presentations i.e connecting to a projector.
-Amiga user perspectives from the States
-US Amiga hardware manufactures.
These are just a few but I could go on an on, there is real huge potential there since a lot of the software is now freely available but the skills on how to use them are not. There is so much talent and knowledge that is unique to the US Amiga scene, it seems such a waste to not have it in written form again.
As someone that tried to write some post mortem on how i conceive and create game soundtracks i can tell that is not an easy task to write exhaustive and easy to follow tutorials; an ingent amount of talent from all branches of amiga software has to participate to have that level and quality of content PLUS people that can 'decipher' their skills and put it on paper as needed. Is not impossible but just kinda complicated.

I see you are in japan though; i remember there was a small but stubborn number of talented pro Amiga and toaster users there and would be interesting if those would like to share their experience too
Old 16 September 2021, 03:31   #11
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Yes, as I said before it is really just a pipe dream, I guess back in the day there was more talent and users around so Amiga World and Amazing Computing could create type of articles. Now there are less people and they have less time, hehe I imagine the world is a busier place due to SNS, YouTube and smartphones. It just sad that there is are no magazines that cater to the more "serious" user or users who would like to learn more. I think nothing can beat having a magazine article in front of you with colour pictures and a step by step directions when learning how to use some new software. However I guess this a view that is too outdated and not relevant in today's world.

As a side note, I am trying to learn ProTracker, I understand OctaMED, I have tried the manuals and YouTube videos but I guess I am just not as smart as I thought as it is difficult to understand the basics, however after finding an article in CU Amiga it helped me get going. Perhaps the way they break it down in a magazine, or having it in written form to look back and forth from helps
Old 16 September 2021, 13:08   #12
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Agreed, I love the written form for tutorials. It is inherently non-linear so easy to just jump to the section you need. Video tutorials are harder to follow with constant stopping and starting. It is also harder to get to the bit that interests you if it is not clear chapter marked.

I do think we as a community could start index all the magazines to make it easier for all of us to find tutorials.
Old 13 October 2021, 00:54   #13
SpeedGeek

IIRC the last official US magazine was probably the online variant Amiga Report magazine:

https://www.amigareport.com/
Old 13 October 2021, 01:07   #14
Seiya

it is more easy to review a game because not always need to read 100 pages of manual or study every option.
Some utilities could have 1000 options to study and so require to much time. In the end you can find some reviews of serious programs, but very superficial or not complete of every features.
Old 13 October 2021, 01:44   #15
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

It is funny that you should mention that, recently I contacted Jason Compton to see if it is possible to resurrect AR again, I was thinking of maybe taking it over since I have the time. If I can get the magazine running again with articles from people and then maybe in the future it could become a print magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
IIRC the last official US magazine was probably the online variant Amiga Report magazine:

https://www.amigareport.com/
Old 13 October 2021, 05:45   #16
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Is the same Jason that did work for a while in some AROS projects? Is been a long while i last heard its name...
Old 13 October 2021, 11:26   #17
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I am not sure, I just remember that he had taken over Amiga Report and was the last person to handle it.
Old 13 October 2021, 15:01   #18
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Is the same Jason that did work for a while in some AROS projects? Is been a long while i last heard its name...
No that was Jason McMullan
Old 16 November 2021, 17:31   #19
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I haven't counted. But for a period of 24 years I don't really think that's a problem.
Old 28 November 2021, 18:40   #20
DMackey828

I would love an American Amiga magazine. Paying $100+ for a UK subs hurts for sure. I DO love the quality of the magazine though.