English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 February 2009, 17:41   #1
pbareges

indivision aga and ham mode

hi there.

i have a 1200 8mb fastram, os 3.0...i'm really amazed at the great rendering of the indivision aga board on my 940mw samsung (which handles 50hz very fine) in most screenmodes...

my only concern relates to ham mode...regular interlaced modes(like hires or lores interlaced) when applied to my workbench offer clear an sharp de-interlaced picture output on my 940mw. but ham mode (hold-and-modify) typically fails to give me the kind of great ouput i had on my tv (yes it was flickering but picture rendering was great)....

for instance take the great giana sisters intro screen ..giana's hair is underlined with a stange grey/green shade and most of the screen shapes are affected in a similar fashion...screen also seem to suffer from pixellisation...i was wondering if multisync monitors with regular amiga rgb output give the same distorsion (ie this may be a distorsion due to the inherent colour limitations of the hold-and-modify scheme)..or is this due to ham rendering being distorted by indivision flickerfixer scheme...?

also, when switching between laced and non laced modes, my samsung take 2-3 sec to adjust to the new indivision output...i know my monitor is responsible for this adjustment period (which makes switching to multiball in pinball games a real pain) but i do not understand why the indivision output should be any different between laced and non laced modes...as hires 640*256 15khz becomes 640*512 31khz through indivision and 640*512 interlaced 15khz becomes 640*512khz de-interlaced 31khz also, my monitor should not detect any resolution change when switching from one to the other...also i noticed that when in laced modes, fast movements/scrolling (like in pinball games) were giving some gfx glitches (like if even lines were updated faster than odd lines)...it's also noticeable when moving mouse cursor quickly under wb.

thanks in advance for your input in this matter.
Old 02 February 2009, 20:25   #2
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

I´m waiting for mine to arrive in the next couple days, i will gladly make some tests too.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:46   #3
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

With the monitor taking time to adjust between modes which seem similar, it may be that the polarity (+/-) of the 2 modes are different. I think indivision with its last firmware may have the ability to save the polarity settings? For the e.g. PAL non-int 256 vs PAL int 512 not sure if they both get converted to 640x512 or 720x576 or what. I would have thought they would both be translated to the same res 720x576 31KHz 50/62.5Hz for all PAL modes. (make sure your non-interlaced modes are not DblPAL).
Old 03 February 2009, 12:25   #4
pbareges

You cannot adjust setup for laced modes yet..you only can make distinctions between pal,ntsc and highgfx modes..thanks !