English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 February 2018, 22:02   #1
guybrush

PCMCIA network card: which model?

Hi all

Last step for the reviving of the Amiga is to get the little thing online. I can swap CF cards to get data, but I would like to have access to Aminet directly from the Amiga. One option was to make a 1:1 dump of the whole Aminet site and put it on external CF card; although there are things that are still updated, so the best way is to get online.

I did try with some wifi cards; was a hell to get drivers and setup, and in the end, I realized that new wifi routers have too advanced security features; which are not available on the old Amiga drivers, so I am not willing to run the network as unprotected, hence wifi is probably out of the question.

This leave me to the wired solution: which card model does work out of the box with the Amiga? I did see some on Ebay; although I have no idea if they are in fact supported by the Amiga or not.

Could you suggest models that are known to work for sure, so I can start hunting these in the junkyards that I have close by (they collect all old e-Waste from companies; a ton of old computers and servers!), and wire up my Amiga?

Thanks!
Old 05 February 2018, 09:06   #2
xraynorm

Netgear FA411 16bit work flawlessly for me.
Old 05 February 2018, 09:35   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
FA411 is highly recommended, they are not easy to find nowadays, though.
Old 05 February 2018, 10:43   #4
ptyerman

I have several wired cards that I use on both my Amiga and my old Libretto laptop, any old PCMCIA type II card has worked in both and are interchangeable. A couple of them use the 3Com driver and a couple use another which I can't think of at the moment, I will have to look on my Amiga's later. Basically any old Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, 3Com and even unbranded cards should work as most of them use one of between a couple of chipsets. (Avoid Realtek chipset cards, they don't work on the Amiga AFAIK).
Apart from that there was someone on Amibay selling wired PCMCIA cards not too long ago, they used the 3Com driver. If I rightly remember there was also someone on here that had some listed in the marketplace section, have a look through and see if any are left.
Old 05 February 2018, 12:39   #5
Sir_Lucas

Have a look here if it comes to WIFI cards.

They support WPA2/AES and work with no problems with modern routers:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81915

Or

Ethernet wired cards:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78388

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll gladly help.
Old 05 February 2018, 16:56   #6
ptyerman

The wired cards link is the post I was referring to, thanks for linking it, I didn't have time earlier. The drivers for these are available on Aminet for your Amiga.