English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 30 August 2021, 21:52   #1
Photon

Asmskool is back! (Amiga Hardware Programming series)

I've been coming back to Creativity last few weeks (not only Amiga) and wasn't sure I was ready, but decided it was time to make good on the series and complete this demo all the way.

In this episode, I add cloud layers to the demo, together with the graphics and code support needed to achieve this effect.

It shows how to add double-buffering to screen buffers, move objects, and build coordinates lists.

...It's likely some of you here know this stuff The goal of the series is to show every step. You can use the chapters to skip, and I ask a question in comments which I'd love an answer to.

"Buffered Clouds" -> [ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 August 2021, 23:05   #2
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

watching now!
Old 30 August 2021, 23:22   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks a lot
Old 31 August 2021, 09:11   #4
roondar

Great, thanks!
I've watched a bit so far, it's nice and long so I had to split it into multiple viewing sessions
Old 31 August 2021, 11:19   #5
tolkien
AmigaMan

You are on fire mate! Thanks so much!
Old 31 August 2021, 12:35   #6
sparhawk

Cool video! I watched yesterday part of it and found it very interesting. Since it is so long, I can't really watch it in one go.
Would be nice if you could post the link to the first video, though.
Old 31 August 2021, 12:42   #7
kriz

Check his signature link: Resources: Amiga Programming for the first video
Old 31 August 2021, 13:03   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Check his signature link: Resources: Amiga Programming for the first video
As it is episode 44, I would have say firsts video.

[OT]
edit: by the way, if you speak FR and following ASM coding tutorial in FR is easier, you can follow this link : https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...wMEzFineHt0rdc
He has some funny remarks during the tutorial as well
[/OT]

Last edited by malko; 31 August 2021 at 13:42.
Old 31 August 2021, 17:16   #9
jel

Thank you to quote my videos malko.....This is the photon serie that give me the enthusiam for this task !

I'm trying to translate them in english subtitles, but this is a booorrring task, so i stop to the number 7 for the moment....
Old 31 August 2021, 17:18   #10
Firestone

YES! I loved watching this show!
Old 31 August 2021, 17:28   #11
Photon

Thanks a lot

I hear you about the episode length. It wouldn't make sense to viewers to split it up, because the buffering of the screens and the coordinates lists depend on each other, for the whole thing to work.

The next episodes can be split up and will be shorter.
Old 31 August 2021, 22:53   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@Photon & @jel : you both can't imagine how much I learn by following your video .
I only wish to have more spare time to practice more
Old 01 September 2021, 00:45   #13
jel

thanks !
Old 01 September 2021, 16:12   #14
Photon

Don't forget also Wei-Ju Wu, Tomaz Kragelj, and Dutch Retro Guy! I've checked them out recently to catch up with what everyone is doing. Recommended!
Old 01 September 2021, 16:16   #15
roondar

Ah, I've never seen Wei-Ju Wu or Tomaz Kragelj, I'll be sure to check them out.
Hope to be adding to my series soon-ish as well. Got a new video idea anyway. Now all I need to do is make the code, the article and the video

Really nice to see other people's code regardless, not done watching yours yet - but I've been watching 30-45 minutes every day so far
Old 01 September 2021, 16:49   #16
Photon

Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Really nice to see other people's code regardless, not done watching yours yet - but I've been watching 30-45 minutes every day so far
Very simple code compared to some of the effects you show. But this, and showing every step is for a reason. Next ones will be shorter because I can split up the changes better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Hope to be adding to my series soon-ish as well. Got a new video idea anyway. Now all I need to do is make the code, the article and the video
Sweet Once my "ground plate" series is done I can reference it and take on more advanced subjects. I haven't planned that far, but have some ideas about the next videos and may ask viewers.
Old 01 September 2021, 23:07   #17
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Don't forget also Wei-Ju Wu, Tomaz Kragelj, and Dutch Retro Guy! I've checked them out recently to catch up with what everyone is doing. Recommended!
That's nice of you to mention other coders. The only one I never heard about is Tomaz Kragelj. Will have a watch

Quote:
[...] Sweet Once my "ground plate" series is done I can reference it and take on more advanced subjects. I haven't planned that far, but have some ideas about the next videos and may ask viewers.
Old 01 September 2021, 23:26   #18
roondar

Quote:
Very simple code compared to some of the effects you show. But this, and showing every step is for a reason. Next ones will be shorter because I can split up the changes better.
Showing every step is very cool. I really like that you show both the end result and the steps you took to get there, including the reality that coding often means having a bunch of non-working versions prior to a good result. I'd say this really helps people follow your line of thinking as well as having a working example.
Quote:
Sweet Once my "ground plate" series is done I can reference it and take on more advanced subjects. I haven't planned that far, but have some ideas about the next videos and may ask viewers.
Cool, I'd certainly like to see some of those - I still remember your Amiga Future series, which was a huge help for me at the time
Old 03 September 2021, 01:03   #19
Photon

Amiga Future DDE series was very ambitious, I had to explain and code effects from 30 years in 2 years. It's also different when it's in print, you can't develop, then release, then explain/writeup. Explanation is either correct the first time, or you lie to everyone who likes you. Same with the code which is printed, archive must match, no updates because then source doesn't match article.

I remember coding correct bump mapping for AGA and coming to a disheartening realization, I was checking demos that do it realtime which quickly narrowed to where I couldn't really find one (need demo link for article) and then what's the point of showing how?

I felt guilty for abandoning this and Youtube, and was sure I would be looked down upon. The difference now is that there are more important things than worrying about me.

And also a more egocentric perspective, I guess. No create = unhappy. OK, maybe for more than me. Get it out there.
Old 03 September 2021, 01:10   #20
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Hey, When I tried to relearn asm a couple of years ago I still had my code disks and my HRM and I was like "wtf is this stuff? Did I even ever know this" (My 15 yr old self did not comment the source files). I found your asm tutorials on youtube and after skimming through them everything came flooding back so that's why you've had a greet in the 3 prods I've done because I don't know if I'd had got there otherwise.

Do what you enjoy and share it and there will always be at least one person who is glad you did. Do we really need more of a reason when coding on a dead machine is actually quite insane?