English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 December 2017, 09:16   #21
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
No group I only found this when I tried to copy it with PowerCopy a few years back
You tried to copy the original floppy? This would really be a good example for the show, because it's so evident... Hmm. Where would I find a original adf/ipf that I could try to "ruin" with copying?
Old 01 December 2017, 12:08   #22
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

In Jurassic Park AGA (possibly OCS as well) the Velociraptors in the indoor first-person sections are much harder to kill in the cracked version. When I finally tried an original copy of the game I was shocked at how much easier it was to kill the Raptors. I think it takes around four or five shots in the original game and double that in the cracked version.
Old 01 December 2017, 12:38   #23
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
You tried to copy the original floppy? This would really be a good example for the show, because it's so evident... Hmm. Where would I find a original adf/ipf that I could try to "ruin" with copying?
Yep, my friend tried copying my original and this was the effect.
Old 01 December 2017, 17:31   #24
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
I put an extended ADF in The Zone for you to try.
Old 01 December 2017, 18:34   #25
modrobert
old bearded fool

I guess you can't count this as a glitch, but it is annoying.

Frontier: Elite II (ECS/OCS)

"Hi! I'm PoliceOfficer..." screen when playing copy.

I tried three different cracks (FLT, ACS, CSL) those available in TOSEC, and if you play long enough (over 20 hours) and rack up a lot of credits then you will reach "Hi! I'm PoliceOfficer..." manual protection screen after docking and pressing F4, some cracks tell you what key to press, but it fails anyway, because the suggested manual pages are out of bounds. Even the WHDLoad slave fails in the same way for the OCS versions of Frontier Elite II.

EDIT:

To clarify a bit, all the cracks screws up the manual protection, so even with the manual at hand it fails.

Found a similar screen dump from the BBC micro.

I mentioned this in another thread as well, but it's a sweet revenge, and an interesting story if you dislike the police, so here goes...

Sometimes when landing in a planet hangar, if you upset the local port police they go crazy and hit the ground in desperate attempts to target you with their laser weapons (for example the "New San Francisco" port), and the more of the police ships that crash into the ground trying to shoot you, the more desperate they get, even looks like they are firing at each other in the inferno, all while you can relax and watch the ordeal safely from your position in the hangar (using rear view).

Several minutes later, it quiets down after like 50-100 police space ships have crashed into the ground, you can then pay the fine of 1000 credits and be on your way. Bug or not, I guess it is plausible, in a real life situation, that the authorities get so upset their navigation skills are lacking due to the pressure to eliminate the perp in the light of all their fallen comrades who died trying.

Last edited by modrobert; 18 February 2024 at 17:26. Reason: Clarified.
Old 01 December 2017, 19:54   #26
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Awesome, thanks a million
Old 01 December 2017, 19:57   #27
jotd
This cat is no more

Formula one grand prix has password protection. If you skip it naively, then the car becomes uncontrollable.
Magic Pockets: gfx are trashed
Gods: extra hard A.I. enemies (so you don't notice at once), flying enemies so fast you hardly see them (again, not before mid L1.2). Even if you beat level 1, it freezes at some point at level 2.1
Cadaver: plays a bit, until you enter a room with jumping creatures. Then the game goes bezerk.
Lemmings: a lot of checksums, triggering subtle crashes (AFAIR)
Old 01 December 2017, 22:43   #28
s2325
Zone Friend

Leander http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89662
Old 02 December 2017, 00:29   #29
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Frontier: Elite II (ECS/OCS)

Even the WHDLoad slave fails in the same way for the OCS versions of Frontier Elite II.
If this is true, it should probably be reported to JOTD (or anyone willing to rewrite the slave) as a bug.
Old 02 December 2017, 01:19   #30
butfluffy

so has a lot of the games mentioned in this thread been 100% recracked over the years?
i know some have but without doing a checklist i'm not sure.
Old 02 December 2017, 14:57   #31
jotd
This cat is no more

About Elite II, it has been "cracked" with a simple "BRA" I don't remember if I took the crack from a cracked version or did it myself. Obviously I didn't play 20 hours to stumble on the extra protection. But if anyone creates an UAE save state when the extra protection occurs I'll be glad to look into it (even a save state of the floppy cracked version would be good, maybe even better)

It sounds that the CD32 version doesn't have any copy protection check. So maybe that's why noone cares: they play the CD32 version instead.
Old 02 December 2017, 15:51   #32
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
About Elite II, it has been "cracked" with a simple "BRA" I don't remember if I took the crack from a cracked version or did it myself. Obviously I didn't play 20 hours to stumble on the extra protection. But if anyone creates an UAE save state when the extra protection occurs I'll be glad to look into it (even a save state of the floppy cracked version would be good, maybe even better)

It sounds that the CD32 version doesn't have any copy protection check. So maybe that's why noone cares: they play the CD32 version instead.
That would be great.

The CD32 version runs slow with accelerators on A1200 for some reason, so the newer more updated OCS/ECS version is what you would use, more info in this thread.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57905&page=2

The remaining (flawed) manual protection check in the OCS/ECS version is a bit hard to reproduce because it's somewhat random, the only consistent pattern is that you have to use a save where someone played over a certain amount of time. I will try to find the right save and zone it.

I did try to debug it using hrtmon with WHDLoad MMU support on the 68030 back in 2013, but wasn't able to trigger the manual check while debugging. I have since then learned using ReSource for my software related hacks/projects which is probably a better approach in this case.

EDIT:

Saves are zoned (elite2_saves_for_jotd.lha), picked the last three of the saves, in case there is a problem with one of them.

The checksum for my cracked 'Frontier' (OCS/ECS) binary as follows...

Code:
7.Ram Disk:> md5 work:Frontier/Frontier
8f7384556e47bec0c8b708f61c829902 work:Frontier/Frontier
7.Ram Disk:> sha256 work:Frontier/Frontier
5b6a115f2f19bb861d22fb6d0b362ff90995a2607e919a555160ac80ee339a6a
I can't remember which group release it was, tried a lot of them, but at least you have checksums of the game binary used the last time the manual check appeared.

PS:

Realize now you probably mean "emulator save state", sorry, only have game saves, played this on my A1200.

Last edited by modrobert; 02 December 2017 at 18:09.
Old 02 December 2017, 20:53   #33
jotd
This cat is no more

so you mean loading one of those saves will bring me to the copy protection ... after playing for 1 hour?
Old 02 December 2017, 21:00   #34
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
so you mean loading one of those saves will bring me to the copy protection ... after playing for 1 hour?
It's a random event, but yes, it happens after while using the latest save there.

This is the reason I wouldn't recommend debugging it live (as I tried), probably better to ReSource it and get a grip on the whole "beast", or not at all.
Old 02 December 2017, 21:03   #35
jotd
This cat is no more

okay so with WinUAE I could make this happen, then save, so I can try to get past the screen as many times I want
Old 02 December 2017, 21:05   #36
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
okay so with WinUAE I could make this happen, then save, so I can try to get past the screen as many times I want
Yes, but the screen is in a bugged state when it appears, perhaps due to previous crack attempts. The pages/words suggested are out of bounds, beyond the scope of the original manual.
Old 03 December 2017, 14:30   #37
Al82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Alien Breed Special Edition 1992, can't remember if it's Fairlight or Ministry crack.
There's a spot blocked by an invisible wall on one of the later levels making it impossible to progress, only way is to skip the level by using a level code.
I did a longplay of the game using the WHDLOAD version and came up against this issue - you can get around it by activating cheat mode at the Intex console and pressing F9 to walk through walls

The fact you can easily bypass the issue using a cheat or a level code makes me think it's more likely to be a bug in the game, rather than a copy protection scheme?
Old 03 December 2017, 21:02   #38
jotd
This cat is no more

@modrobert: that won't stop me from making the screen return to the game...

@Al82 that's strange, as I cracked AB92 SE back in the days, then played till the end (using Action Replay savestate) and wasn't blocked. And I didn't do a very tough job at cracking it, because the protection was a classic RN copylock.
Old 04 December 2017, 06:08   #39
GreenMeanie

I cant get ghouls and ghost to run for the life of me.
Old 04 December 2017, 08:58   #40
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Would you happen to remember with copying mode etc. did you use with Power Copy Pro on the COD? Tried with different settings, but the copies do not even boot? Sorry