English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 09 July 2002, 20:09   #1
renaissman

the best version of rocket ranger is in the zone

A while back under the alias of paul9090 I got a lot of help from everyone about where to get a copy of Rocket Ranger for WinUAE. I ended up with one from amigaisland, I think. This worked fine right until the end when it crashes after you kill the slave girls on the moon.

Fortunately, I was able to find another copy of RR which works almost perfectly. This seems to be an earlier, undamaged version of the same copy as it was also cracked by Quartex but you actually get to face the final enemy and if you survive see the end sequence. Anyway I'll put this fully-working copy in the zone just in case anyone hasn't got it.

Old 09 July 2002, 20:36   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile

That's a TOSEC version.

Renaming it results in
Rocket Ranger (1988)(Cinemaware)[cr QTX](Disk 1 of 2)
Rocket Ranger (1988)(Cinemaware)[cr QTX](Disk 2 of 2)
FYI
Old 10 July 2002, 15:26   #3
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Eek

I'm more surprised that somone's been able to get that far in the game. I usually have enough fun taking off at the start!! Even if I do I usually blow up the airship!!
Old 10 July 2002, 15:55   #4
Amiga1992

At least he came back and tried to give back a bit of the helphe received from us back then.

I think that's a remarkable action! The intention is what counts and this was a good intention, renaissman!
Old 10 July 2002, 17:06   #5
Walker

In general, I think this board has become too tough against newbies. Telling some poor first time visitor "That game is in TOSEC, stupid!" won't contribute to keeping the Amiga spirit alive here. Many people probably haven't heard of TOSEC.

When I joined this community it was a friendly place where everybody helped each other with everything. This attitude has changed a bit I'm afraid, but that's of course my very personal opinion.
Old 10 July 2002, 17:39   #6
renaissman

Thanks guys it's always good to be appreciated. The secret of my success as far as the game goes is that I cheat. The most difficult thing I found was getting the rocket parts and 500 lunarium before the nazis conquered the world. The locations of these vary with each game you play but if you use a state save they stay the same which cuts down on any unnecessary journeys.

Talking about the taking off sequence, I originally played the game on the ST version which didn't have this, so I could fill my rocket pack with as much lunarium as I wanted and still take off. It took me the best part of an afternoon to realise that taking off with anything over 50 lunarium in your pack is very difficult.

btw I haven't heard of tosec with me it's just about the games really

Old 10 July 2002, 21:08   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yup, Walker is right.

It would be nice if everyone who was new read the FAQ and did lots of research, but it doesn't usually happen.

That is the message board life, friends!
Old 10 July 2002, 22:45   #8
Amiga1992

Well, I have never told a newbie "That's on TOSEC stupid!" mainly because I don't use TOSEC,I don't know what it is (ok, it's a naming convention, that's as far as my knowledge goes) and I really dont give a rat's ass about TOSEC because I'm not into adf/rom amassing anymore.And even when I was, I didn't use it!

But I DO tell newbies to check the FAQ and the rules instead. And they always check it out and understand, in my experience! The odd lazyarse or two aside, of course.
Old 10 July 2002, 22:52   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

The way I see it is we were all newbies once, treat other's how we would have liked to be or were treated when we were newbies.

It doesn't hurt to be nice to people from time to time.

And I don't think Andreas was having a go at this guy anyway. He was just saying that it is in TOSEC saving anyone downloading it if they already had it.

Anyway, there are a few versions in TOSEC, so now, thanks to renaissman, we know which version is fully working.

No doubt some of the versions in TOSEC listed as good (Or not marked [b]) are versions that don't play to the end.
Old 11 July 2002, 00:15   #10
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker
In general, I think this board has become too tough against newbies. Telling some poor first time visitor "That game is in TOSEC, stupid!" won't contribute to keeping the Amiga spirit alive here. Many people probably haven't heard of TOSEC.

When I joined this community it was a friendly place where everybody helped each other with everything. This attitude has changed a bit I'm afraid, but that's of course my very personal opinion.
this is and will be the problem of big community.
Old 11 July 2002, 01:44   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I don't think the community here is tainted, it's just bigger. And more experienced. Over the last couple of years, some of us have seen and heard almost everything imaginable from newbies and oldies alike. Some of us get cynical at times and not at other times. It cycles. And it depends on the timing, approach and other elements. I still think EAB is overall a very friendly place, especially compared to some of the hostile communities out there.

And I thank Ian for pointing out that Andreas was merely indicating which TOSEC version renaissman was referring to. I find it very useful knowing which version I have of Rocket Ranger is 100%...maybe even the TOSEC team could fiund use of this information.
Old 11 July 2002, 03:05   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Cool

Quote:
And I don't think Andreas was having a go at this guy anyway. He was just saying that it is in TOSEC saving anyone downloading it if they already had it.
YES, damnit!

Thanks a bunch Ian. Some users amongst us still use modems and it would really be idiotic to waste this limited bandwidth for a dupe!
Old 11 July 2002, 04:22   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas

YES, damnit!
Thanks a bunch Ian. Some users amongst us still use modems and it would really be idiotic to waste this limited bandwidth for a dupe!
I am a modem user, and I know you were not having a go at the guy! I just pointed out that I think we are NOT being hostile to any newbies. I have not seen a hostile behaviour from anybody here, and since we politely tell them to check teh FAQ or the rules, they always do!

And renaissman is a good example of a good EAB peep. Today you help me, tomorrow I help you.

I think there's a great spirit in the EAB Recently I saw some nasty shite going over at lemon64's forum, just ask Mozzy! Some mods went ballistic and started to delete mesages they seemed fit to delete.

I think we never deleted a thing here, and if we closed 20 threads, that's a lot! I know RCK will have all this noted down in a napkin, he's statistics-man

Long live teh EAB and its community
Old 11 July 2002, 05:39   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And to keep things on a positive spin here (whilst twisting it back on topic), the Cinemaware site has been updated, which discusses such topics as "Defender of the Crown GBA", sneak peeks at the digitally remastered versions of "Wings" and "Lords of the Rising Sun" for the PC and Mac, free Amiga versions of the previously mentioned games, an open invite to beta test for them, and some other stuff!
Old 11 July 2002, 08:03   #15
Amiga1992

I forgot to write this. Just before anyone says "but you guys deleted lots of topics!". Yes we clean up the Off-topic section every now and then, but we delete the really old posts.

And on the other sections the cleanup is minimal (specially in the help sections!)

That's better now
Old 11 July 2002, 12:30   #16
andreas
Zone Friend

Arrow

Yes, but one of you deleted MY "Audiogalaxy under fire" thread in his one hook, which wasn't cool at all.
I even suspected poor RCK (!!!) to have done this.
Sorry Akira, but some EAB moderators really overestimate their power, so there should be more restrictions sometimes. This thread did NOT stray into political waters, so there was no reason to delete it!
Old 11 July 2002, 16:19   #17
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Okay, hands up, prove how crappy I was at RR. Who here can claim to have reached the latter stages of Rocket Ranger without cheating? (Are there any possible cheats!Can't really see how a trainer would help in this case.).
Oh, occasionally I won a fist fight or something, but my spies & general "strategy" tatics on the map were hopeless!
Not saying it's a bad game though-I'm pretty poor at "it came from the Desert" & don't mind a bash at that now & again either!
Anyone any good at RR under emulation condition's now?!
Old 11 July 2002, 19:26   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Yes, but one of you deleted MY "Audiogalaxy under fire" thread in his one hook, which wasn't cool at all.
I even suspected poor RCK (!!!) to have done this.
Hmm.. I dont know if it was me, since I dont have broadband anymore, I dont cleanup anything anymore...

Sorry that your post got deleted anyway. I know it sucks, happened to me on Lemon the other day.
Old 11 July 2002, 19:31   #19
andreas
Zone Friend

As RCK being the administrator, *HE* should get a short note into his admin log file if someone from the moderators deletes a thread without even giving information to the admin. That's an indefensible situation, to put it bluntly.
Old 11 July 2002, 21:00   #20
Ian
Global Moderator

RCK runs this board Andreas not you, and he (RCK) has put rules in place that threads in the Off-Topic section are deleted when they have been inactive for 2 weeks (and therefore nobody is interested in them anymore)

This is why your thread was deleted, and it's also why loads of other threads are deleted.

Noone else has made an issue of it. It's not like this rule has only just been introduced now is it?