English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 June 2018, 16:55   #41
fluffkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
I think an adapter must be compatible with all motherboard revisions. Its logic must adapt and support every amiga.
That's what we'd hope for though given the massive variation even within a revision it is probably never going to happen.

Most 2Bs seem to be fine with adapters but some (including mine) just don't. Mines also unusually got a 40 pin clock port rather than 22, Commodore didn't really seem to care about consistency.
Old 21 June 2018, 21:43   #42
crabfists

After much persistence I got a reply from Pawel.

“About TOM and problems with right mouse button. We try to find solution, the adapter won't work because we wanted to leave "cd32" option which means we had to controll pin with open colector instead of normal output mode. This week we plan to issue the version with output on and see what's happend - we put on server and ask one of users to check it.”

Promising...
Old 25 June 2018, 12:08   #43
crabfists

Pawel just let me know there is an experimental firmware v8 that he hopes fixes the RMB issue.

I am going to try it when I can but I don't have a USB A to USB A cable. Will have to get one first.

Can anybody else give this a go?

Updater is here:

http://electronica4u.com/files/e4you_Updater.exe

youtube vid with instructions here:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 June 2018, 13:29   #44
fluffkitten

Thanks crabfists for following this up.

Looking forward to your results.
Old 25 June 2018, 18:39   #45
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfists View Post
I am going to try it when I can but I don't have a USB A to USB A cable. Will have to get one first.
If you have some old spare cables, you can just splice them together and create one. Very simple to do, should only be about 4 wires.
Old 25 June 2018, 22:02   #46
crabfists

I found a cable and flashed test version 8.

I tried it quickly on my revision 1B A1200 and the right mouse button works... but there is a problem. Every 1 in 20 clicks it retriggers the click, like what would happen if the button was pressed really quickly, then let go and pressed again.

So good.. and bad.
Old 27 June 2018, 14:23   #47
fluffkitten

The test version 8 is working very well with both PS2 and HID mice.

I'd definitely recommend the TOM2. Only thing I'd like to see down the track is enabling the mouse wheel but it isn't anything I need in a hurry.
Old 27 June 2018, 15:09   #48
crabfists

@fluffkitten with test version 8 does the right mouse button work 100%? Have you tried pressing the mouse button on the Workbench menu many times? Does it ever trigger multiple clicks? That is what I am seeing.

I tried it on my A1200 rev 1D4 motherboard and it is really erratic and far worse than my 1B motherboard.

I took a video of it here. I am pressing the right mouse button every second or so but it often detects 2 or 3 right clicks in quick succession. If you turn the sound on and crank the volume up you can hear when I click.

https://i.imgur.com/RiURBm5.mp4

Last edited by crabfists; 27 June 2018 at 15:15.
Old 27 June 2018, 15:37   #49
fluffkitten

I'm not having an a problem with that luckily. Did a sequence of 60+ clicks (got bored counting ) and didn't get any extra clicks.

It looks as if the 1D4 problem is slightly different to other boards. Adapters with the 1D4 RMB fix only give me the occasional right click on my 2B.
Old 07 July 2018, 00:16   #50
crabfists

So, I sent the TOM Rev 2 back in the end.

I just received a Rys MkII from AmigaKit and I am pleased to find out it works great on my 1B motherboard. Right mouse button seems to work 100%.

I haven't quite figured out how to change the sensitivity of it yet. There is a button you have to press and then pressing the left and right mouse buttons is supposed to adjust the speed but holding in the button and pressing the mouse buttons doesn't seem to have any effect.
Old 29 September 2018, 09:58   #51
RoC

I am resuming this thread, to ask if someone has sorted this out.

I bought a Tom rev 2 with sw 07. My interest is connecting some joypad/joystick to the Miggy. I do have the CompetionPro and Sega ones, however I am hoping to connect some other.

The only one I managed to make it work is the low-cost clone of the SNES that worked already on the Rys. Pity that clone is the worst joypad of all the many USB sticks I have and do not really improve much from the Amiga ones. So far, I have been testing them on a A600 (rev 5) and A1200 (1.D1) both with accellerators, Indivision ECS/AGA, etc.

Has anyone managed to connect the SNES joypad with the USB adapter, the USB PlayStation Dual Shock 2 or even bigger ones such as the Sega Virtua Stick High Grade, X-Arcade or the RetroStik?

Is out there, any other stick that could work with the Tom adapter? I know that some of them shoulnd't work, because they are meant for Windows only like the Xbox Elite.

I read there is a beta of the sw 8 that could be flashed. I guess sw 8 should be requested through email though, because there is no link on their webpage. The Firmware-Updater util works just fine and recognise the Tom through USB-A however when connecting it disconnect (like in the video, this should be short) but does not propose a sw 8 to be uploaded.

Last edited by RoC; 29 September 2018 at 10:33.
Old 03 October 2018, 20:06   #52
BMD
Amiga Man

ACA500PLUS then add a ACA1233n plug in a Rapidroad Clockport USB adapter Install poseidon and WALA! Any mouse or keyboard you want. All fully adjustable.

Granted that's all about $500 but you'll never need anything for an Amiga 500 or 500+ ever again!
Old 03 October 2018, 20:15   #53
fluffkitten

That's what I'm now doing with my A1200, only issues are no access to the early boot menu and no mouse in WHDLoad games that want/need one. So far not really a problem for me.
Old 05 October 2018, 19:01   #54
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD View Post
ACA500PLUS then add a ACA1233n plug in a Rapidroad Clockport USB adapter Install poseidon and WALA! Any mouse or keyboard you want. All fully adjustable.

Granted that's all about $500 but you'll never need anything for an Amiga 500 or 500+ ever again!

The question was about the Tom adapter compatibility, however at least I have a good laugh
Old 30 April 2019, 19:01   #55
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I have this adapter now since 2 weeks. It works so far as expected. But i can say that i'm really diappointed about the support. The e4you_Updater.exe doesn't work for me under Windows 10 bit (and for a lot of other people too as it seems). You can't connect to the update server (connection lost blabla). And Pawel doesn't really offer support (never replied to my mails) or did a fixed version of his updater. Would like to try a newer firmware than v7, which has additional options in the configurator.exe.
Old 30 April 2019, 19:49   #56
RoC

Glad to hear you tried Tom too.

Eventually I bought the HID2Ami. It is way more compatible than Tom and Rys. I got all my quality USB joysticks/joypads connected.
Old 30 April 2019, 19:58   #57
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

HID2Ami looks interesting. Maybe if it gets full CD32 buttons support.
Old 01 May 2019, 02:36   #58
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I have this adapter now since 2 weeks. It works so far as expected. But i can say that i'm really diappointed about the support. The e4you_Updater.exe doesn't work for me under Windows 10 bit (and for a lot of other people too as it seems). You can't connect to the update server (connection lost blabla). And Pawel doesn't really offer support (never replied to my mails) or did a fixed version of his updater. Would like to try a newer firmware than v7, which has additional options in the configurator.exe.
Electronika4you on Ebay are an absolute joke, and I hope they're reading this.

I bought their external keyboard adapter that plugs on the keyboard controller chip in my A600 and have issues with it.

Their customer support is 100% non-existent. Their website is always offline, their firmware updater (which I happened to luckily get when their website was up for a micro-second) is never able to connect to their update servers as that is always offline. They never answer emails. Absolutely the worst. Please don't buy from these guys.
Old 01 May 2019, 03:21   #59
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Thanks for the info. Yes, i've learned my lesson. Though Tom Rev 2 works fine with my wireless PC mouse. There are some mouse speed tweaks possible in firmware v8, but i can't try it for obvious reasons. I always find it strange when people don't put new firmware updates online, directly downloadable from their website. This would avoid such problems.
Old 12 October 2019, 05:59   #60
camdflage

Sooo - I get to the end of this thread and the Tom is no longer available. I am dissapoint.