English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 18 September 2018, 13:06   #41
Tweeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
List updated. Now it should have only amiga games (except dual editions naturally).

Thanks

Why is Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego still on the list, i thought BarryB had it? i can dig out mine too

according to HOL, if KidsAcademy_192 is the Which? Where? What? then i have it
Old 18 September 2018, 13:37   #42
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I have access to all the Amstrad CPC, Amiga and Atari ST SPS catalogue.
Then why don't you release all of it to the public, as Ian already said. All that nonsense with the picture verifications of the original dump supplier is a bit silly at that point. Don't you think?
Old 18 September 2018, 14:08   #43
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Then why don't you release all of it to the public, as Ian already said. All that nonsense with the picture verifications of the original dump supplier is a bit silly at that point. Don't you think?
I have rules to follow. IFW & Mr Vince asked me to respect them, and i will do so.

SPS is an association, and as an association they are liable to the law.

I'm doing my part and nobody has the right to ask me to betray my word or do things i've been forbidden to do.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:13   #44
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This is probably right when they preserve data directly for companies (what they do too iirc). Not when they actually "pirate" old commercial computer games for preservation. I can't see any rules or laws here. Anyway, it's your decision.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:23   #45
modrobert
old bearded fool

Perhaps a possible solution would be archive.org?

https://archive.org/details/messmame

The MAME ROM collections are already there, and you can download individual ROMs for a single game as well.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:26   #46
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
This is probably right when they preserve data directly for companies (what they do too iirc). Not when they actually "pirate" old commercial computer games for preservation. I can't see any rules or laws here. Anyway, it's your decision.
not my decision. I've been told : respect or quit.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:32   #47
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Puh, ok. A bit harsh. But as other said. It's not preservation if it's not available for everyone. They should change their name then.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:39   #48
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
Except RugbyTheWorldCup_3730 (unknown crc) :/
Perhaps Irek can be of help digging that up ?

He was mentioned in WHDLoad installer readme.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:50   #49
haynor666
retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Perhaps Irek can be of help digging that up ?

He was mentioned in WHDLoad installer readme.
Good point, contacting now

Quote:
Puh, ok. A bit harsh. But as other said. It's not preservation if it's not available for everyone. They should change their name then.
I know it's sad. But You can buy missing games and request here Years ago I did this not too mention games that I bought intentionally for preservation.

Last edited by haynor666; 18 September 2018 at 15:04.
Old 18 September 2018, 18:16   #50
Ian
Global Moderator

So I pay money for a kyoflux as that's the only way to get ipfs. I buy a missing game, open it, image it, send it in then wait 4 years without getting a response or even acknowledgment it's been received sitting there wondering why I devalued my purchase for nothing.
Old 18 September 2018, 18:56   #51
haynor666
retro maniac

For many years CT raw files were accepted by SPS, KryoFlux was not mandatory.

When You are requesting game You don't need dump. Some people are presenting here sealed games and getting their IPFs eventually. You know, right now dlfrsilver give us all IPF in daily basis, You don't to wait 4 years, at least for Amiga and Atari ST games Sadly my C64 request might take "some time" :/

I also dump many games and still (some I mentioned earlier) are not in IPF format. Most of my stuff has already IPFs and this files are made public (I distributed everything I had). Some don't mainly because lack of multiple sources (many copies), disks copied on amigas rather professional duplicators, modified (try to find prestine copy of ATR or Genesia at normal prices) or simply not processed due lack of time/motivation of core SPS team.

When we are waiting for new dumps I suggest to get all remaining games already in SPS database.
Old 18 September 2018, 19:45   #52
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So I pay money for a kyoflux as that's the only way to get ipfs. I buy a missing game, open it, image it, send it in then wait 4 years without getting a response or even acknowledgment it's been received sitting there wondering why I devalued my purchase for nothing.
Mmmhhh let me enlight something. I'm helping quite a lot of people, it takes
A LOT of my time, it's a second job unpaid added to my full time job and people continue to brag out when i'm doing what is needed ?

This is ungrateful, or should i say even better a disgrace to get such reactions.

Sorry but, not, i can't accept that. The only answer i should hear is "goddamn it thanks for taking the time to take care of that, we waiting so long!".

But no.... that's how humans are

PS : Just my 2 cts, when i was still a simple contributor, i had the same wait "problem". Now that i'm in, i do thing exactly how they were intended.

Seriously, who can complain still about that ??
Old 18 September 2018, 19:47   #53
Wiking67
Blowing Out The Flame

Send a message via MSN to Wiking67
I'll have to taöke to denis defens
Old 18 September 2018, 19:59   #54
Ian
Global Moderator

Look Denis, I have already sung your praises above, not every critisicm about the project is aimed at you. Far from it.

If it wasn't for you the project might as well be canned. But that doesn't change the fact many have sent dumps for years and got nothing back. Emails you probably aren't even party to as they were before you joined.

People who are not on this forum and don't know what your are doing from your own initiative. Maybe you've also posted this elsewhere?

The disgrace is not my opinion, it's the fact that those in charge allowed this opinion to be formed. I don't really care that some ipfs haven't been released. That's the contributors right, even if I disagree.

Not to mention the other stories about stuff being sent in and being 'lost'.

Again don't take every comment as something against you, after all you are not being paid like the others who seem to have retired to count their money. (Although I'm sure there are other volunenteers on other formats in the same boat as you)
Old 18 September 2018, 20:02   #55
BarryB
Amigaholic

Only Denis is actually supplying IPFs to the people who prove they own the original disk, sadly C64 don't yet exist in IPF so we can't request them.

I support Denis 100% and is currently the only member of the SPS Team honouring the distribution of IPFs to those who have the relevant disks! If he chooses to 'walk away' from distribution because of the bad mouthing then I can't blame him, the higher management of SPS have told him how to handle distribution so that's what he does it, like it or not!

You know the saying: Don't bite the hand that feeds you!!
Old 18 September 2018, 20:09   #56
Ian
Global Moderator

No one is 'bad mouthing' Denis, but to expect all critique to go unaided just because Denis is doing the job they should've been doing for the last 10 years is a bit of a stretch.

Again, Denis, none of this is aimed at you.
Old 18 September 2018, 20:17   #57
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Look Denis, I have already sung your praises above, not every critisicm about the project is aimed at you. Far from it.

If it wasn't for you the project might as well be canned. But that doesn't change the fact many have sent dumps for years and got nothing back. Emails you probably aren't even party to as they were before you joined.

People who are not on this forum and don't know what your are doing from your own initiative. Maybe you've also posted this elsewhere?

The disgrace is not my opinion, it's the fact that those in charge allowed this opinion to be formed. I don't really care that some ipfs haven't been released. That's the contributors right, even if I disagree.

Not to mention the other stories about stuff being sent in and being 'lost'.

Again don't take every comment as something against you, after all you are not being paid like the others who seem to have retired to count their money. (Although I'm sure there are other volunenteers on other formats in the same boat as you)
Well ok. About money, there is a little fact you must know :

Preservation needs money, and there are not any. That's the big problem everywhere (Europe, USA and Japan). I got some chat with some people involved in preservation but not necessarily SPS, and the lack of money is the problem, it's coming back in every chat i got.

the other being the amount of software to preserve. Just imagine the C64 software library, and the amount of people required to image them all (or the maximum).

All this is complicated. The worst is that you will find a lot of right holders ready to fight for their assets, but they never plan budgets to help people like us to preserve the titles they did.
Old 18 September 2018, 20:38   #58
Ian
Global Moderator

Yes, money being spent by yourself, Barry and anyone else whose brought and submitted something. As you said previously preservation takes time, the money is already spent elsewhere.

I'm sure there are many others that are capable and willing to analyse dumps and verify them, and all would probably do it for free too. Believe it or not people that hang around in forums general aren't just romwhores.

For instance, when caps started and everything was preserved, box, manual, disk scans, additional box items. That was when the project made a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I will never say a bad word against you. You are doing a good job and none of what I say is related to anything you personally have done.
Old 18 September 2018, 20:43   #59
haynor666
retro maniac

That's different matter. When You are dumping disks You do not destroying disks at all. Sadly for accurate scan process in most cases You had to torn apart boxes as we know collectors are not going to do this. Personally I'm quite happy with HOL and MobyGames (which both I'm supplying with stuff).

@Denis any signs of life from SPS members ?

C64 SPS releases are total unknown. Nobody so far share anything. We don't know even crcs, names. Like I mention before I requested some IPFs because I have original disks but this will take "a while".

Anyway - http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15366
Let's hope that some LemonAmiga members can help us.

Last edited by haynor666; 18 September 2018 at 20:50.
Old 18 September 2018, 22:26   #60
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Ding Dong, has the Dr Bong a copy boxed of Mike and The Magic Dragon ? mmmhh :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
UK or U.S. version?! UK version (Kingsoft) is packed away in some box somewhere, but I have the U.S. version (Anco) handy.
Ahem, Denis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I have many of the games in Haynor's list too, but I'm not sure how many I have handy to be taking photos of to provide proof of ownership.
@Denis
What forms of proof do you accept exactly? Are there any other forms of proof besides dumps and photos that you will accept (e.g. receipts of payment)?

Anyway, here's a photo of the following games (#, letter 'A', random games) that I had handy.......

3DConstructionKit2_2508
Academy-TauCetiII_2943
AdventuresinMath_2076
Airball_3034
AxeofRage_2018

Iridon_2081
Minos_2902
ScreamingWings_3021
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAPS-SPS_MissingAmigaGames_Found01.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	59852  

Last edited by DrBong; 19 September 2018 at 21:29.