English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 06 August 2011, 04:37   #1
GBAura

Question Need help into converting Amiga sound files to MIDI, or find a new program for it

I really need some help into doing a project that I wanted to do this summer, remixing tunes from the game called Apidya. However, since I can't identify notes, I have to search for a program to convert the sound files to MIDI files. The problem is, I can’t find a good program that can do this.

I tried MOD2MIDI, but I find it to be rather useless. You see… it didn’t convert the files into the way I want to. When I convert a single file, the output for the file is unusable and I have no idea how to handle the converting options. Also, it is only focused on the first sub song it finds. Unless if someone can explain to me in detail how to use this program, I am fine with this.

I also tried looking for another program that is easy to use and doesn’t screw up a lot. I am looking for a program that is kinda like NSF2MID or SPC2MIDI; which you can choose a sub song, set the instruments and easily convert them to MIDI files so I can remix them in FL Studio. I looked high and low for a program like that, but it wasn’t successful.

It doesn’t matter if the program you recommend doesn’t choose your instruments or not, I just need the program that will convert the files without any hiccups or problems. Or if you can tell some I am suppose to use MOD2MIDI correctly. I'm not trying to act harsh into what issues I'm having at the moment, I just need personal help from more experienced Amiga fans.

-GBAura

P.S.- The sound files for Apidya are TFMX and SAM format, since Chris Hulsbeck composed the game’s soundtrack, which might explain what the output files are unusable. Also, I hope that I didn't break the rules because of the sound files I mentioned and what program I needed...
Old 06 August 2011, 06:24   #2
Vegas

Hello, welcome to EAB! Concerning your problem, as far as i know there is no way to convert TFMX files.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...highlight=tfmx

Since you are looking for MIDI files, i guess you dont necessarily want to use the original samples. In that case you could load the files into TFMX Editor and just try to read out the notes/effects.

Last edited by Vegas; 06 August 2011 at 06:26. Reason: corrected some typos...
Old 06 August 2011, 12:01   #3
daxb

Maybe Chris Hulsbeck can give you the necessary midi files?
Old 06 August 2011, 20:40   #4
GBAura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
Hello, welcome to EAB! Concerning your problem, as far as i know there is no way to convert TFMX files.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...highlight=tfmx

Since you are looking for MIDI files, i guess you dont necessarily want to use the original samples. In that case you could load the files into TFMX Editor and just try to read out the notes/effects.
I checked the link you told me about but the data I found isn't programs, but files, even when the second poster said look for TFMX V 2.2. I can't run them if they are in this format.

Oh, in my last post, I didn't explain what platform I'm using. I don't own Amiga (though I'm planning on getting one because of Apidya, along with a few other games), I'm a Windows XP user, which may explain the problems I'm having.

I wasn't dissapointed that I can't convert the files, but I do like the sound that you can load the TFMX files into the TFMX Editor and shows you the notes. As long I can see the notes in a ABCDEFG style, I can easily write them down in FL Studio.

Do I really need an Amiga in order to solve this problem? If so, dang.
Old 07 August 2011, 00:11   #5
Vegas

If you are using Windows, you can run TFMX Editor by using an emulator like WinUAE. You will find tons of information about setting up WinUAE in this forum.

I just loaded the editor up, and it looks a bit tricky. Still it should be possible to read out the notes. It is also possible to mute/playback the tracks so you could maybe record them separately. Dont know if this is of any help to you though

Last edited by Vegas; 07 August 2011 at 00:15. Reason: ...typos again.
Old 08 August 2011, 01:44   #6
GBAura

Quote:
If you are using Windows, you can run TFMX Editor by using an emulator like WinUAE. You will find tons of information about setting up WinUAE in this forum.

I just loaded the editor up, and it looks a bit tricky. Still it should be possible to read out the notes. It is also possible to mute/playback the tracks so you could maybe record them separately. Dont know if this is of any help to you though
I have WinUAE and TFMX Pro Clone Beta which I found in the link you posted a while ago, what ever happened, it didn't work in what I expected to be. Ok, allow me to explain what I did:

Opened up WinUAE, went to Floppy Drives, went to DF0, clicked on the three dots button that was on the same row as DF0 and chose TFMX-converter.lha. Waited for the screen to go grey, and said:

read error 27 on block 880

So I tried using TFMXPro (by setting to all files and chose it), waited, and the TFMX Editor screen showed up (the thing with the snail). It's seems that it may be the end of my worries, but how am I suppose to load the TFMX files on WinUAE? Or better yet, how am I suppose to use the editor in the first place?

...Please forgive me about that, I really need more detail into how to use the editor (And yes, I'm pretty lazy into finding things out for myself). And Vegas, I really like the help you have been giving me recently, I'm glad that you explained that certain things I asked aren't impossible. I highly ensure that once you explain to me how to use the editor, I'll stop asking questions (I hope).
Old 08 August 2011, 06:39   #7
Vegas

.lha files are just archives and not necessarily disk-images. This could be the reason why you got an error message. Amiga disc image-files would be .adf or .dms. However, you can unpack .lha files with WinRAR for example.

I tried to get into TFMXPro (the one with the snail) but it wouldnt load up the song-file, i created with the converter before. So, i kinda gave up at some point. It could be easier to read out notes though, since its apparently Protracker-ish.

Still, i somehow managed to load up the Apydia tracks into TFMXed and actually played them back. Here is what i did:

At first, things will be a lot easier, if you set up a hd in WinUAE. The configuration i used was an Amiga1200, some extra Ram, 3.0 Rom and Workbench 3.0.

I got TFMFX_v1.6_7v_Fixed.lha (from http://old.exotica.org.uk/editors/archive/) and unpacked it to the Amiga harddrive. All other versions would only playback some weird noises most of the time. The same procedure with the music files (from http://old.exotica.org.uk/tunes/pages-full/TFMX.html).

Then i loaded tfmxed6. It crashed some times but for some reason i kept trying and suddenly it worked. To load a song was quite easy. The tricky part starts now...

There is a Wki page about TFMX (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFMX), thats where i got the files from. Unfortunately its in german, but maybe you can figure out something. The notes seem to be located in the pattern section (click edit pattern).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAura View Post
I highly ensure that once you explain to me how to use the editor, I'll stop asking questions (I hope).
Dont worry, thats what forums are for Hope i could help you out a little bit.
Old 08 August 2011, 19:30   #8
GBAura

Ok, I got TFMX_v1.6_7v_Fixed.lha, unloaded it 7Zip (A type of files extracter for RAR files), chose tfmxed6, set to Amiga1200, set to HD 3.5, ran the program and...nothing happened. OK, it didn't freeze on me since I can still type commands on it.

*Double check reply* Wait, 3.0 ROM? Workbench 3.0? Are you talking about a KickStart ROM? I'm not sure if I should be using that format because I heard they are illegal unless you pay for them. I'm not sure what Workbench 3.0 is, if it's legal and where I load it in WinUAE. Also, just in case I'm on the right track, I saved the configurations I got down so far.
Old 08 August 2011, 21:57   #9
Vegas

What i meant was, you could set up an Amiga harddisc in WinUAE. Its really easy (pretty much any Windows directory can be mounted as harddisc for example).

Workbench and Roms/Kickstart are the official Amiga operating system. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workbench_%28AmigaOS%29 & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstart_%28Amiga%29). And yes, it is illegal to download it, since its still sold (by cloanto for example http://www.amigaforever.com/). An open source alternative is on its way, but afaik its not fully working yet (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...light=aros+68k). At the moment there is no point to fully use an Amiga emulator without at least a Rom-image (someone please correct me, if im wrong).

Last edited by Vegas; 09 August 2011 at 00:19.
Old 09 August 2011, 00:37   #10
GBAura

Quote:
At the moment there is no point to fully use an Amiga emulator without at least a Rom-image.
You mean I have to wait until thier project is complete? If so, I don't mind that. I checked the thread and it seems they somewhat finished. (Or so I think, I really don't know much about Amiga technology even though I was aware of the computers existence about one year ago.)
Old 09 August 2011, 01:13   #11
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAura View Post
You mean I have to wait until thier project is complete?
Either that, get Cloantos AmigaForever or get a real Amiga. However, the internet is big...

Anyway, there is a built in Aros Rom in WinUAE. I dont know how compatible it is though. The problem with the TFMXed 1.6 archive is, that it is not a bootable disc but just the programm. Dont know if there is a way to run it somehow without Workbench or something like it.

You could try TFMX_v2.2.dms. It might boot up. But as i said, this version just gave me glitches when i tried to play back the songs. Also, without a viritual hd, you will have to get the songs into the programm in the first place. Maybe create a blank .adf in WinUAE (in the Floppy - menu) and edit it somehow under Windows (http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/). Put the songs into the .adf file and mount it as df1 in WinUAE. See if TFMXed opens them without crashing and click play. Maybe youre lucky

Edit: I just tried variuos combinations and it seems like 1.6 is the only version that will load the songs. There was no way to get it running with Aros-Roms. So, thats the point where im out of ideas...

Last edited by Vegas; 09 August 2011 at 05:32.
Old 09 August 2011, 22:19   #12
GBAura

Vegas, you may want to hold on for a bit, there's another user contacting me and helping me in this topic I'm having right now, I hope it works.
Old 12 August 2011, 17:24   #13
GBAura

Guys, my problem has been solved. I got the TFMX Editor 1.6.7, got the proper Apidya sound files and it worked perfectly. Anyway, I like to thank Freshman for helping me.

Edit: Actually no, I'm still having issues, again... New post coming soon explaining the problem.

Edit: Scratch that, I got a new program which can pull it off but had issues running it.

Last edited by GBAura; 14 August 2011 at 18:35. Reason: Update
Old 20 August 2011, 15:14   #14
GBAura

Actually, I'm trying to find a better program which will run the music in the same way that I want it to be. I'll keep looking.
Old 29 December 2011, 16:01   #15
cosmiq

GBAura:

Why not analyze the separate sound channels and have them remixed piece by piece? Conversions always end up in a chaos of notes that are hard to clean up.

edit: Please let me know if you finished a track.. Apidya is one of my favs as it comes to amiga music In the past I had it on my walkman for ages