English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 August 2014, 00:03   #41
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Im grabbing a copy of this asap!

I have snagged 200+ NBS Public Domain disks (been a little bit obsessed looking for this obscure pd outfit)

Maybe some of them are MIA / Rare?

Old 16 September 2014, 22:26   #42
mikey2002kent

Just brought the kindle ink and this was my first purchase, looking forward to reading it through
Old 18 September 2014, 22:44   #43
Hodor
Retro Human

Just purchased.

I wasn´t aware of this book. Otherwise I would have bought some time ago.
Old 05 October 2014, 23:44   #44
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Purchased!

... and a huge thanks to the EAB community for choosing my game for inclusion. It's an honour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
For all the ones who don't like to use Kindle.
You can open the E-Book in calibre and convert it into a different format like EPUB or pdf.
Download for Calibre is here: http://calibre-ebook.com/
It's a very useful program if you have to handle with a lot of E-Books in different formats and readers.
I don't have a Kindle account either (I've a Nook) but Amazon only allows me to view the book using the Kindle Cloud Reader. I have no options to download the book to my laptop in order to convert it using Calibre (which I already have installed) and then transfer it to my Nook. Can anyone help with this please?

Last edited by quahappy; 05 October 2014 at 23:51.
Old 07 October 2014, 11:21   #45
Cpt. Hindsight

I'm not 100 % sure anymore what I did back then, but I'll try to remember.
You can download a Kindle reader for PC and I guess it's using the same account as Amazon. You should be able to find the book in C:\Users\YourName\My Kindle Content\

Maybe you'll have to download the book from the Amazon page first.
Old 10 October 2014, 21:13   #46
Paul_s

Just wondering if the physical or pdf version of the book will be available anytime soon?

Also, is it possible to obtain the book outside of Amazon? (Long story but I closed my account with them a few months back).

Thank you.
Old 11 October 2014, 18:31   #47
onkelarie

purchased!

Great read, using the kindle app on the iPad... Awesome book!
Old 12 October 2014, 18:07   #48
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>You can open the E-Book in calibre and convert it into a different format like EPUB or pdf.

Why not just make it available as a PDF in the first place? That Calibre you are talking about isn't even an Amiga program.
Old 13 October 2014, 11:56   #49
Hodor
Retro Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
>You can open the E-Book in calibre and convert it into a different format like EPUB or pdf.

Why not just make it available as a PDF in the first place? That Calibre you are talking about isn't even an Amiga program.
Maybe because the PDF format is not friendly with e-ink readers and maybe because nowadays almost everybody owns a PC or has easy access to it.
Old 13 October 2014, 12:44   #50
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Just wondering if the physical or pdf version of the book will be available anytime soon?

Also, is it possible to obtain the book outside of Amazon? (Long story but I closed my account with them a few months back).

Thank you.
The physical book should be available end of this month - I could have released it already but I am doing a third proof read and there are some very minor formatting errors to correct -

Unlike the e-book which can be updated and re-download at no extra cost once the book is printed any errors are there for ever more so I want to get it as close to 100% perfect as possible.

In terms of a pdf - I have emailed this to individual EAB members on the understanding it doesn't appear as a download on websites or widely distributed - If you PM me with an email address I will send you the current PDF version.
Old 13 October 2014, 15:52   #51
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
The physical book should be available end of this month - I could have released it already but I am doing a third proof read and there are some very minor formatting errors to correct -

Unlike the e-book which can be updated and re-download at no extra cost once the book is printed any errors are there for ever more so I want to get it as close to 100% perfect as possible.

In terms of a pdf - I have emailed this to individual EAB members on the understanding it doesn't appear as a download on websites or widely distributed - If you PM me with an email address I will send you the current PDF version.
Thanks for the reply - I'll send you my email address in a bit

No problem with the proof reading
Old 13 October 2014, 16:17   #52
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I got my friend's mum to buy this as she has a Kindle and she wasn't aware that her son was featured (Renegades programmer), she was all proud that we'd made it into the book!
It's a brilliant book and I can't wait to get the physical edition.
Old 09 November 2014, 18:51   #53
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have read the whole book, including interviews. If there is any future update / revision planned, it would be worth cheching for typos. There is a plenty of them, some even in game titles.

Anyway - very good reading, I enjoyed it.
Old 19 November 2014, 17:16   #54
amigapd

Hi, the book has been updated to version 1.4 - I have made the book free to purchase until this Sunday (23rd November).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ultimate.../dp/B00JVARFSU

For those who bought the book on first release - apologies there were quite a few typos - the majority of these have now been corrected as a result of drafting the physical version and two new sections added -

I have asked Amazon to send an update link to all existing customers - this is free to re-download the book but Amazon need to check that the changes are significant to warrant such action - this takes about 4 weeks.

For new readers - if you like the book please make a donation to my Mencap justgiving page
Old 03 December 2014, 16:02   #55
Paul_s

It's gone physical!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Gui...de+to+amiga+pd

Looks like I'll have to re-open my Amazon account - ugh, oh well I'll give them one more chance.
Old 04 December 2014, 09:12   #56
jPV

Hmm.. in back cover "Despite being discontinued in 1991 the Commodore Amiga is...". 1991? WTF?
Old 04 December 2014, 11:34   #57
amigapd

1991 relates to Amiga 500 - granted the Amiga range continued late into the 1990s perhaps I should have stated I was referring to Amiga 500 or been vague and put 1990s.

I can amend the book but each time I do that it is unavailable for purchase until it is corrected - which can take 5 working days to approve.
Old 04 December 2014, 18:41   #58
seuden
uber cool demi god

Added to the Christmas list. :-)
Old 05 December 2014, 09:39   #59
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
1991 relates to Amiga 500 - granted the Amiga range continued late into the 1990s perhaps I should have stated I was referring to Amiga 500 or been vague and put 1990s.

I can amend the book but each time I do that it is unavailable for purchase until it is corrected - which can take 5 working days to approve.
Unfortunate, but I still think it is quite misleading currently. In product description it says that also A1200 games are included, which is quite contradictory. It's so visible in back cover and at least that is read if people get the physical book in their hands.
Old 05 December 2014, 11:14   #60
Etze
A3000-Fan

I bought the e-book some weeks ago - and really like it! I found tons of games I never heard of before. But sometimes I missed the information, which system I need to play the game. Like, does it work on a "standard" A500 with 0,5/1MB RAM? How much ChipRAM is needed?