English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 08 October 2001, 01:56   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

RetroMan - nice link! The Good Old Days is a very cool site!
Old 08 October 2001, 02:42   #2
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I've corresponded with Mr Creosote (sic) several times. hes quite a cool fellow, and has great Fred-freindly games. Nice layout.
Old 08 October 2001, 04:28   #3
birdy-scc
Banned

It seems like quite a nice site on arrival. I read the "Fraud" page first, and couldn't help but think the guy seemed to be looking a gift-horse in the mouth.

Being a well made site it's reasonable that the owner of the toplist mentioned may have just allowed him a small amount of leeway. In the same position I might have done the same.

But, after taking the piss, he gets kicked without comment. Surprise surprise.

Then he goes on like he's exposed some incredible seam of ineptitude -

I looked then at the games section, only to find that many pages only lead to files which have "been removed because of the ISDA"

Why doesn't he just say that at first? His site is good enough to use as a *reference point* without misleading people.

This is quite negative, I suppose, but I was annoyed by the fake-links.
Old 08 October 2001, 04:38   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks, Birdy - my comments were based on browsing the pages (at least the pages of Amiga, SNES and PC games), but I never tried to download anything, nor did I check many of the other pages. I reckon I should have stated 'good layout'. And I agree, if the game is not there, just say so and the hell with a bogus link...
Old 08 October 2001, 06:10   #5
birdy-scc
Banned

Maybe this could be split, and put into Website reviews?

Then, Fred, could you tell him? He seems able to argue "a position"

But if he really is a fat bastard (sick!) then bring him forth!

(that's a Monty Python joke, just in case)
Old 08 October 2001, 07:06   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, it's split. And since I couldn't effectively split it by including the message with the URL (since it answers the original thread's question), I will add the url to the site's main page:

http://www.gooddays.org
Old 08 October 2001, 11:05   #7
Mr Creosote

I came here through my site's referrer links. Thanks for the praise

The fraud has been in late 2000, that's why I wanted to remove this page some weeks ago. But then suddenly some idiots I know from the past signed up there as updaters, so I guess I'll keep my warning up for now

About the misleading download-buttons: This is indeed true. When I received the cease & desist letter from the IDSA, I had to act quickly. So there wasn't the time to make yet another new button or something. That is why I just pointed some of the old buttons to this one page. But it was never intended to last so long, only as a temporary solution! Your point is valid, it will be changed with the upcoming server move. Only two or three Amiga games are affected anyway though.

Keep the comments coming - positive and negative. I AM a fat ugly and evil bastard, so I'll act accordingly

Old 08 October 2001, 11:36   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That makes sense, because obviously you have put a lot of care into making your site look really good. I'd never heard of your site, so when I followed the link there, I ended up looking around and was right impressed. Although, I haven't put it to the Netscape test yet...

//UPDATE:
Hehe...I just had to flip it over here in Netscape and it looks the same. Mega thumbs up, daddy-o!
Old 08 October 2001, 11:41   #9
Mr Creosote

It looks identical in Netscape 4.7, Netscape 6, Mozilla 0.9x, Opera 5.x and IE 5.x. Also works perfectly in Lynx - I wrote a lengthy editorial on this subject

Old 08 October 2001, 11:55   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Here is a man close to my heart!

Oh and I am using Netscape 4.5, but saw no noticable differences.

I (probably more than anybody else on this board) would be very interested in reading this tome. Hehe...I too have written quite a few words on the subject...
Old 08 October 2001, 12:02   #11
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Hehe, funny. Of course the site has to work in NS4.x if it's about 'the good old days'

This site reminds me of http://www.x-entertainment.com but focuses more on computers
Old 08 October 2001, 12:07   #12
Mr Creosote

There was a heated discussion about the compatibility issue in my forum right after I first published this editorial. There will always be people who use lame excuses like 'most people use IE' for making their designs crash my browsers (EI is no browser :P)...

btw: in case this wasn't clear before - my editorial is still available from the welcome page

Old 08 October 2001, 12:54   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, I saw the link and read it. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you. I piss and moan daily about shitty IE-only sites and tags but it's mostly fallen on deaf ears. One webmaster, who shall remain nameless, gave me that same static about "most people use IE, so who cares?" But he is an idiot, so it's what I expect. I also create the occasional web site for some clients. I code them by hand in HTML (in Notepad!) And as much as I despise IE, I even test the bloody sites in IE.

Oddly, IE doesn't display standard HTML tags properly a lot of times. For example, I created a calendar on a page inside of a table with a thick 3D-style border (the old two shades, embossed bit - standard HTML stuff here), but IE displayed it as one flat color and it just looked shite!

And I had a link to a co-operative site on the front page, which had the url nchaunts.com, but IE wouldn't load the page since it didn't have www. in front of the url, so I had to add that. How many webmasters bother testing in anything but IE? Very few, I am sure.

My kudos to you, sir.

Oh, and RCK here is very good about compatibility with other browsers, as well. Life would suck if I couldn't surf here and bore these people with my long, talky 'editorials' and Bradyisms...
Old 08 October 2001, 13:04   #14
Mr Creosote

I also used Notepad until I noticed it doesn't save files in standard ASCII code. And it has severe problems with very long lines (needed when writing/editing Perl code).

Just to give you some more info: when I programmed this design, I coded it without ever looking at the result in ANY browser! When I thought I had finished the template (coded following the official standard as set by the W3C), I checked it in all my browsers. NS 4.7: fine, Opera: fine. Mozilla and NS 6: some minor problems because there is one small bug in CSS 1 interpretation (font colours). IE: completely screwed! For some reason, IE always assumed a 'nowrap' attribute in all td-tags even though it wasn't there. All the text in one line - gotta love horizontal scrollbars. td and tr sizing was also very much screwed. Took me two days to fix it for IE.

Some people say it's easier to write sites for IE than for other browsers. But that's pure BS as I pointed out - IE just does what it wants, it always tries to fix up non-existent errors. The other browsers do exactly what they're told to - I love that

Old 08 October 2001, 14:17   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I keep getting told by 'developers' how much better it is coding for IE and how much more efficient it is. I get called a fanatic for my views all the time, but I know better. My views on the subject are loud and vocal, but are formed from stringent research.

I'm glad to hear these opinions coming from another!
Old 08 October 2001, 16:49   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Mr. Creosote
Good to have you here
Great site, very Fredtgreat type stuff.
Stick around once in a while, 'ay?
Old 09 October 2001, 13:46   #17
Mr Creosote

At the moment, I can't even get to my normal routine check of the forums - but I'll try my best to add this one to the daily queue

Could you tell me from which thread this one is a spawn? A request?

Old 09 October 2001, 16:36   #18
birdy-scc
Banned

It was from the "Airline Siumulator" thread in games request, I think.
Old 26 February 2005, 10:56   #19
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Seeing how some people post every single update they do on their sites here, I thought I could just take that liberty once:

Today, it's my site's fifth birthday! About one third is about the Amiga, the rest about (to use this forum's term) 'general retrogaming' (i.e. other systems). The old URL will still work, but the 'official' one has been http://www.goodolddays.net/ for a few years now. You're all invited to take a look

P.S. The 'guest' you're seeing in this thread was me with my first account here. I do feel so old...

Last edited by Mr Creosote; 01 March 2005 at 21:03.