English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 11 March 2024, 23:52   #1
samaron

PFS Doctor reports 4GB boundary warning - works anyway?

Greetings!

Got an A1200 with a Blizzard PPC accelerator card where I'm using the Phase 5 SCSI controller with a BlueSCSI. Using the version command, I find that blizzppc.device is version 44.31. The motherboard has 3.2 ROMs installed.

Created a 100GB hard disk image on the SD card that I'm formatting with pfs3aio. The DOS type identifier used is 0x50465303. Created one large partition for the whole drive. Performing a quick format afterwards causes no errors, and the PFS3 requester pops up to tell me it is indeed formatting with said file system.

However, if I run PFS Doctor to do a check on the drive after formatting, I get the following message:
"Cannot access disk above 4G using current access mode. Check options and try again. Continuing can be dangerous."
My options to this message are "continue anyway" and "abort". It does not matter if I choose auto, direct SCSI or TD64. Continuing anyway with the check results in no errors found.

Some files were copied over to bring it over 4GB of used space. I would assume it would have a catastrophic failure if wrapping occurred? No crash or corrupt file system as far as I can tell.

Is this just a false error I can ignore, or is there something going on that require further attention and troubleshooting?
Old 12 March 2024, 09:54   #2
thomas

Please run this program and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Old 12 March 2024, 10:12   #3
Calabazam

To check if the disk and partitions are correctly setup to handle over 4GB, you can use https://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/check4gb
Old 12 March 2024, 20:08   #4
samaron

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. Attached are the reports from both Check4GB and HDDReport.

Still in the process of getting the computer up and running again, as it has been collecting dust for a decade or so. I literally got a copy of a friend's setup today that was copied over to the drive image just before running these tests. Nothing is properly configured yet with regards to the Mediator, PPC, RTG and such.

Just wanted to know if the partition is good to go or if I need to reformat it again before continuing with configuring the system.
Attached Files
File Type: txt HDDReport.txt (10.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: txt Check4GB.txt (323 Bytes, 25 views)
Old 12 March 2024, 21:10   #5
thomas

It's probably a false positive. I could reproduce the error in WinUAE. The partition is fine, only PFSDoctor complains.
Old 12 March 2024, 23:08   #6
samaron

Thank you, thomas!