English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 April 2005, 13:29   #1
rare_j
Zone Friend

Floppy drive suddenly ill

The day before I recieve my IDE buffered interface, and I'm all excited, the FDD on my A1200 is suddenly playing up. When I switch the Amiga on, the floppy drive makes all the correct clicking noises it has for the last decade or so. When I insert a bootable floppy the whirring noise starts but nothing happens, the floppy insert screen comes back up as if the disk isnt bootable. (The floppys I'm trying are not knackered.)

When booting from the HDD to workbench I insert a floppy and it comes up as DF0????? (and PC0:NDOS); when I remove the floppy DF0????? stays on the workbench rather than disappearing.

I'm resigned to the fact I've got to find another FDD, but is it possible one of you recognises this fault as easily fixable?
Old 19 April 2005, 16:15   #2
Martin_L

maybe its just dirty
Old 19 April 2005, 16:26   #3
Amiga1992

Your floppy drive is buggered, not dirty. if dirty, it would just read wrongly, but if it stays all thetime at DFO;????? then it's buggered.

Sorry
Old 19 April 2005, 16:58   #4
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Definitely your drive is dirty. i had the same problem with mine on my 500.
Just took the case apart, cleaned the drive heads with alcohol and worked again perfectly.
Old 19 April 2005, 18:34   #5
Smiley
Amiga-less!

I had the same problem, my A600 is a bit of a mess :-(
Old 19 April 2005, 19:41   #6
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW
Definitely your drive is dirty. i had the same problem with mine on my 500.
Just took the case apart, cleaned the drive heads with alcohol and worked again perfectly.
I took the top off and gave the heads a solid rub with a cloth dampened with alcahol cleaner. No joy unfortunatly; luckily I have an external drive in storage somewhere, looks like no DF0: for me

It's a right pain as it's making all the right noises, just refusing to read or format disks. Bizarre.
Old 19 April 2005, 21:34   #7
Amiga1992

The drive is NOT dirty as I said, otherwise it OWULDN'T remain as DF0:???? after ejecting the disk.

I bet you that it's not making the right noises.
When you insert it, it does "clack, clack, clack, clack"... and then nothing. Does it do that?

DF0:???? + four clack noises when inserting disks, = buggered drive.
Old 20 April 2005, 00:18   #8
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Could be a misaligned upper head caused by a sticky disk or simply done out of alignment with age.
Can be realigned, but needs a lot of patience and skill !
Old 20 April 2005, 06:29   #9
Jope
-

Could be a broken diskchange sensor too, but the symptoms don't quite match..
Old 20 April 2005, 14:02   #10
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoc
Could be a misaligned upper head caused by a sticky disk or simply done out of alignment with age.
Can be realigned, but needs a lot of patience and skill !
What's this about misaligned heads? what do I need to look at?

Akira: yes it does the four clacks of death and spins for ages. When it stops spinning eventually I eject the disk and DF0:???? disappears from the WB as it should.
Old 20 April 2005, 16:25   #11
rare_j
Zone Friend

If you take the top off the drive, on one side of the head mountings there's what looks like a big screw that is supposed to move the heads up and down the disk surface. It's a TEAC FD235F, if anyone's interested.

I unscrewed the tiny motor that drives this screw on the back of the drive and took the whole screw motor thing out the back of the drive and gave it a good clean. It was bunged up with gunk. Ditto for the catch on the drive head assembly that the screw latches onto.
Also, I (carefully!) sprayed a bit of WD40 into the fitting where the front of the screw is supposed to rest; there's a load of tiny ball bearings in there to help it turn and I wondered if they'd got sticky.

I put it all back together, making sure the drive heads were in the correct position on the screw, and I'm happy to say the first disk I put in was read instantly.

EDIT: I should add that there's a guide rod that the drive head assembly moves up and down. This was rather sticky so I gave it a rub with a paper towel soaked in WD40. This made the head assembly slide along it much easier, and perhaps was the crucial action to getting the drive working again.

I hope this will help others who experience the four clacks of death.

Last edited by rare_j; 20 April 2005 at 16:56.
Old 30 April 2005, 20:23   #12
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Congratulations on fixing it !
Yes, sometimes the spindle gets so dirty the heads won't get positioned exactly, or keep hanging on the outside.
Old 23 May 2005, 14:38   #13
kratam

Floppy disk

ive had the same problem wityh my a1200 drive saying df0:????, the external doesnt work either, what could be causing this problem? does the internal drive have to work before the external drive can work? or is the controller for the floppy drive damaged?
i bought an a1200 from ebay, i got the machine, it all worked fine till it just stopped, the man i bought it off kindly sent another one out to me, that worked fine till after a few hours it kneckerd saying the same error. The seller told me that it could be a disk breaking the drives. is this possible?

thanks
Old 24 May 2005, 03:03   #14
Amiga1992

Maybe your CIA chips went fuzzy.
A dirty disk COULD de-align drives, yes.