English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 November 2012, 01:00   #1
clitosa
CLI

Question AM Logic 3 Joypad with more than 1 Fire Button?

Hello, I have an older (6 years) Action Pad AM Logic 3 joypad (pic attached) which seems to have the ability to use at least 2 fire buttons.

However all games played using this pad seems to produce just 1 type of fire, regardless of which button is pressed. I hear many games just use 1 fire but imagine there would be some titles that used 2?

Are there any joypads that are known to produce more than 1 type of fire on amiga games? Maybe the AM Logic we have is not set up correctly?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by clitosa; 24 November 2012 at 12:49.
Old 19 November 2012, 01:35   #2
roy bates

hi again

i actually have one of these,i dont know weither there are any games that support two buttons but im sure someone will be around to say yes or no.
Old 19 November 2012, 15:22   #3
clitosa
CLI

Thanks Roy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
hi again

i actually have one of these,i dont know weither there are any games that support two buttons but im sure someone will be around to say yes or no.
Hi Roy

Thanks for the feeback on this.

Hopefully we can both find out the answer to this one...

Thanks again for the offer of looking at our expansion board too. We may have to ask someone knowledgeable (like yourself) to look into this for us in future. If so, we would happy to pay you for any services you maybe happy to provide.

Best wishes, c
Old 19 November 2012, 16:09   #4
Old Fool
Zone Friend

I have couple of these. Maybe the only good thing from 3M ever

It has only 1-type of buttons, blue for normal and red for auto. It's the only controller I've seen for Amiga that have auto-fire usable right from the button without selecting an autofire. Great pad for games like Turrican where you can shoot and run with autofire and quickly choose alternative weapon just holding down the normal fire button
Old 19 November 2012, 18:59   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
It has only 1-type of buttons, blue for normal and red for auto. It's the only controller I've seen for Amiga that have auto-fire usable right from the button without selecting an autofire.
Competition Pro STAR does this too. Triangular left button does temporary autofire, triangular right button does temporary slowmotion.
Old 19 November 2012, 19:51   #6
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
I have couple of these. Maybe the only good thing from 3M ever

It has only 1-type of buttons, blue for normal and red for auto. It's the only controller I've seen for Amiga that have auto-fire usable right from the button without selecting an autofire. Great pad for games like Turrican where you can shoot and run with autofire and quickly choose alternative weapon just holding down the normal fire button
Thanks Old - that's worth keeping in mind.

I think Street Fighter II should have 2 fire buttons. But I could be wrong

Will try this pad on Turrican for sure
Old 19 November 2012, 19:57   #7
clitosa
CLI

Amiga Digital Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Competition Pro STAR does this too. Triangular left button does temporary autofire, triangular right button does temporary slowmotion.
Thanks Akira

Could you recommend any joypads which also have 2 fire buttons?

I was thinking of the get this one from amigakit:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=210

Cheers
Old 19 November 2012, 19:58   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Games like Lionheart, BC Kid or Turrican III supports a second button for jumping. And there a some WHDLoad games which were patched to use a second button, e.g. Battle Squadron for the bomb.

Quote:
I was thinking of the get this one from amigakit:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=210
That's a horrible clone of the brilliant Sega 6-button joypad. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 19 November 2012, 23:41   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

And it look like Boomerang joypad, just with different colors. Avoid Boomerang awesomeness, even if you get one free.
Old 20 November 2012, 00:30   #10
Amiga1992

*ORIGINAL* Sega Genesis 6 or 3 button pads are the best. Also Master System ones.
Old 20 November 2012, 02:27   #11
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Games like Lionheart, BC Kid or Turrican III supports a second button for jumping. And there a some WHDLoad games which were patched to use a second button, e.g. Battle Squadron for the bomb.

That's a horrible clone of the brilliant Sega 6-button joypad. I wouldn't recommend it.
Hi retro-nerd - will be looking else where if you recommend to avoid that joypad, thanks

Last edited by clitosa; 20 November 2012 at 02:50.
Old 20 November 2012, 02:29   #12
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
And it look like Boomerang joypad, just with different colors. Avoid Boomerang awesomeness, even if you get one free.
Thanks s2325, will be avoiding Boomerang too
Old 20 November 2012, 02:40   #13
clitosa
CLI

Sega Genesis 3 Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
*ORIGINAL* Sega Genesis 6 or 3 button pads are the best. Also Master System ones.

Hi Akira, Had a look online, the Sega Genesis looks good! Thanks

Reviewed on youtube here: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by clitosa; 20 November 2012 at 02:47.
Old 20 November 2012, 07:41   #14
Old Fool
Zone Friend

I recommend Logitech Wingman two different buttons Amiga gamepad, best I've been using
Old 20 November 2012, 07:43   #15
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Also TecnoPlus white gamepad is great, it has aslo autofire option.
Old 20 November 2012, 10:12   #16
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Another option is to rewire a gamepad or joysticks internal wiring, i have a 3 button joystick here but all 3 buttons do the same thing which seemed pointless.

Since a lot of people these days prefer a button to jump in platform games, instead of up on the joystick, and also a button to accelerate in racing games instead of up, i rewired one of the buttons to act the same as up.

So my joystick now has the normal fire button plus a button to jump or accelerate. Obviously this is only practical for platform and racing games.

It may not be a true 2 button joystick, but this is one method that can be used to utilize extra buttons better on any controller.

If you end up finding the 2nd button on that gamepad to be of no use, this is always an option.

Or just get a megadrive pad like mentioned, i have one of those here to for any games that natively support more then one button and they work great.

Han.
Old 20 November 2012, 22:24   #17
clitosa
CLI

nice pads!

Quote:
I recommend Logitech Wingman two different buttons Amiga gamepad, best I've been using
Hi Old,

Yeah, they look good also. Unsure if they're USB or 9 pin though.

Thanks for your input
Old 20 November 2012, 22:35   #18
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Another option is to rewire a gamepad or joysticks internal wiring, i have a 3 button joystick here but all 3 buttons do the same thing which seemed pointless.

Since a lot of people these days prefer a button to jump in platform games, instead of up on the joystick, and also a button to accelerate in racing games instead of up, i rewired one of the buttons to act the same as up.

So my joystick now has the normal fire button plus a button to jump or accelerate. Obviously this is only practical for platform and racing games.

It may not be a true 2 button joystick, but this is one method that can be used to utilize extra buttons better on any controller.

If you end up finding the 2nd button on that gamepad to be of no use, this is always an option.

Or just get a megadrive pad like mentioned, i have one of those here to for any games that natively support more then one button and they work great.

Han.
Hi Han - that's a good idea. Like you say, maybe not a 2 button pad but certainly a good way to take advantage of those otherwise pointless buttons

Currently leaning towards the Sega Genesis. Appreciate your help.

Thanks for time