English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 February 2009, 19:20   #1
seuden
uber cool demi god

Dune II - Expansions?

Hey Peeps

Not been around lately as I've been quite busy. I've just got back into playing Dune II and just wondered if there was ever any expansions either homebrew or official that were ever released for the Amiga version. I know there is Super Dune II for the PC but I just feel the Amiga version is a whole lot better and would love it if there was something similar that was released for the Amiga version. I'd be happy with some extra maps or missions or anything that could keep my experience with Dune II just that little bit longer lasting. Thanks in advanced.

Oh and KG, I've not forgotten about those guns they're still sitting under my desk, just not had time to post them. Please forgive me
Old 20 February 2009, 21:08   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Super Dune II? wasnt it Dune 2000.
I have to admit, I prefered Emperor - Battle for Arrakis, still have them both installed now on my PC. The co-op mode was awesome in Emperor, you could play the whole single player campagne with your mates. I used to spend hours playing this with my brother.

I never saw an official expansion, but dont know if there is any homebrew expansion.
Old 20 February 2009, 22:48   #3
seuden
uber cool demi god

Super Dune 2 was a fan created game where "The main modification that the creators made to the game is the substitution of the original houses in the game with the Mercenary, Fremen and the Sardaukar.". It plays exactly like Dune 2 apparently. I think I'll have to give it a go, I wish it was on the Amiga.

Here is the best place to grab it.

Last edited by seuden; 20 February 2009 at 23:00.
Old 20 February 2009, 23:23   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Oh and KG, I've not forgotten about those guns they're still sitting under my desk, just not had time to post them. Please forgive me
I suppose it refers to some digital drawings. But that could really be misinterpreted.

I don't know of any amiga expansion for Dune II.

I played Super Dune II a while ago. There some interesting features (ability to control the sandworms or rather give them a patrol zone if I remember correctly, being able to build non-adjacent concrete slabs). Some levels can be a bit chaotic however, so don't expect a simple extension but rather a modification.

If I remember correctly it comes with some documentation on how it was made and the file structure of the PAK files. Maybe if the amiga version shares some similar component you could use it with the amiga version, although I believe it to be rather unlikely.

Also, in my opinion the PC version if more immersive than the amiga version notably for the dynamic music and richer sounds (for instance, instead of only "enemy unit approaching" you have "enemy unit approaching from the [east, north etc...]), so I would advise you give it a good try, you won't be disappointed.

The only thing I can think of that is really better in the amiga version is the building menus, which are horizontal instead of vertical. Seems more natural and I think I remember it displays more items.