English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 25 February 2019, 00:09   #1
phx
Natteravn

Can I still enter?

We started a new game in January, shortly after releasing Trap Runner. It has just become feature-complete and is entering beta state.

It uses parts of the Trap Runner engine (why should I reinvent a trackloader, protracker-player, input-handler, BOB-, animation- or scrolling system?), but is a completely new game.

May we still add our new game to the competition? Then I would make that entry tomorrow.
Old 25 February 2019, 00:33   #2
DamienD
Banned

It is very late in the competition but... I would say yes you can

You should probably ask the "official" judges though; I really don't have any part in this besides donating and being the sucker who's had to do all the management / organising of the competition since no one else seems bothered or stepped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Shatterhand
Ian
Graham Humphrey
MikeyG
Portuguese Pilot
Linesmachine
Malko
John4P
BTW; I will rename this thread for you... what's your game's title?
Old 25 February 2019, 00:40   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Are there really enough games that are 100% completed at the end of the 28.02? Maybe you guys should extend the competition time for another 3 month. Much better than a rushed job. I know, the coding will go on for most of games after this competition. But i think this deserves a better result with proper first releases.
Old 25 February 2019, 00:42   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Are there really enough games that are 100% completed at the end of the 28.02? Maybe you guys should extend the competition for another 3 month. Much better than a rushed job. I know, the coding will go on for most of games after this competition. But i think this deserves a better result with proper first releases.
Again, not up to me... I didn't make the rules; or even really participate in the discussion about them.

...but the games don't need to be completed; they will just be judged on how they are / whatever state they're in on the 28/02/2019.

Of course game authors will be free to work on them afterwards.

As an example; I'm sure doing all stages, enemies in Rygar will take mcgeezer another good few months at least.
Old 25 February 2019, 00:46   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
[...] being the sucker who's had to do all the management / organising of the competition since no one else seems bothered or stepped up [...]
Don't be so harsh with yourself Damien but have to admit that it's difficult to contact other judges sometimes . Hope situation will improve at the end of the February... 4 days left.
Old 25 February 2019, 00:54   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Don't be so harsh with yourself Damien
I'm be honest; that's how I feel... the sucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
but have to admit that it's difficult to contact other judges sometimes
Yeah sure, I get that...

Tell me, where's Shatterhand been this whole competition? Also Ian and PortuguesePilot are GMs so could have taken care of all related thread / post maintenance but...

No, everything has been left to me as per. Management, organising threads / posts, collection of money etc...

I did say even before the competition started that I don't have time to manage / be in charge of this and look what's happened; I've had to.
Old 25 February 2019, 02:37   #7
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I'd like to apologise on my own behalf. I know I have been a bit absent. Reasons are plenty, but they don't diminish that fact. Sorry.

To add to the discussion: I see no problem with late entries. As long as the rules are upheld, then they're welcome. Also: if the deadline is too near and not enough complete games are available, then the deadline may be extended. As Retro-Nerd said, better to have good, solid games up for contest instead of rushjobs. Other officials may disagree, though, so they should pronounce themselves.

@malko: Thanks for the heads up.

Again: Sorry for my absence. I know I keep complaining that the Amiga coding scene is not as good or as exciting as the Spectrum's or the C64's and then when a competition like this comes along, I turn soft... Coding for the Amiga is much harder than coding for the aforementioned machines, so all the support should be given. I should have done my duty a bit more diligently. I'll try to mend that in the near future, if possible. Cheers, mates!
Old 25 February 2019, 03:37   #8
arcanist

My game will be finished by the deadline but I'd be happy to see the contest extended if it gets more finished entries on board.
Old 25 February 2019, 07:00   #9
mcgeezer

@phx - If you knew you had a game in development in January then I would say you should have declared it in January, that said I can't see why you couldn't submit a game.

As an entrant to the competition and having observed the rules up front I am in no way happy about extending the deadline.

Due to it I've made some key decisions along the way, such as...
  • Project management decisions with the game...
  • Detailed thread content...
  • Personnel decisions (Simone may have been given more time on the music)
  • But most importantly... family decisions, to hit the dead line I have made family sacrifices to hit the deadline - for example this Saturday I missed time with my 3 year old at his friends birthday party (it is not the first time).

If the deadline is extended then I will pull Rygar and go my merry way - it is not fair on those that have worked their arses off with an upfront declared game that has been in the spot light for the last 6 months feeling the pressure.

Not the best thread to read on a Monday morning, 4 days before the close of the competition that I have invested a lot of time in over the last 6 months.

Geezer

Last edited by mcgeezer; 25 February 2019 at 07:29. Reason: murray... = merry
Old 25 February 2019, 08:31   #10
LeCaravage

- I'm not judge but I don't see any reason why phx couldn't enter the competition. And in a personal point of view it's even cool to see more entrants because it will mean this competition is a success.

- Concerning the changing rules, I'd not make any deadline extension or other rules changing. I'm not trying to take benefit of this situation, as I have not programmed the quarter of ennemis, not integrated the sfx/music (sorry Simone...) yet, no hi/score, no push fire, no game over and I have not even made more than 2 tests maps (40 maps expected in final project) yet and there's still a shitload of bugs. Other participants who worked hard to reach the deadline with an almost 100% finished product will be not respected, their hard work will no be respected.

Sorry for my bad english but I hope you will understand what I mean.
Old 25 February 2019, 09:45   #11
DamienD
Banned

mcgeezer and LeCaravage have made some very valid points

A few days before closure, it's not fair to now change the end date of the competition; everyone who's been in from the start has known the timeframe, worked hard and had to numerous make sacrifices along the way.
Old 25 February 2019, 10:15   #12
roondar

Though I am not a judge or competition official, I do want to add my 2 cents here.

I agree fully with mcgeezer.

One of the reasons I didn't try to enter myself is precisely because I didn't think I'd have a full game ready in time, even though I do believe I could make an Amiga game in assembly by now. Had the deadline been say nine months rather than six, I might have reconsidered.

As such, IMHO extending the deadline now would feel like a slap in the face of those that did put in all the hours and made the sacrifices (whether that is in family time, other hobbies or what have you) to try and get it done.

Regarding PHX entering now, I have no real opinion on that

Last edited by roondar; 25 February 2019 at 11:20.
Old 25 February 2019, 11:11   #13
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
@phx - If you knew you had a game in development in January then I would say you should have declared it in January
We definitely didn't start the game with this competition in mind. My brother wanted a quick internal project, to try out some new things with the engine.

I didn't expect it would be completed so fast. Entering the competition was a spontaneous idea I had yesterday.

Quote:
As an entrant to the competition and having observed the rules up front I am in no way happy about extending the deadline.
I can fully understand you. It is extremely discouraging for participants when rules change in the course of the competition.

For us a deadline-extension would mean not to participate, because we don't want to hold the game back for much longer.

Quote:
Not the best thread to read on a Monday morning, 4 days before the close of the competition that I have invested a lot of time in over the last 6 months.
Hmm... because of the possible deadline-extension, or because of late entries, or both?

I can understand the frustration about late entries appearing out of nowhere shortly before the deadline. So we will better not enter the competition. I just thought it would have been nice to have some more games in it...
Old 25 February 2019, 11:23   #14
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Hmm... because of the possible deadline-extension, or because of late entries, or both?

I can understand the frustration about late entries appearing out of nowhere shortly before the deadline. So we will better not enter the competition. I just thought it would have been nice to have some more games in it...
Because of the suggestion to extend the deadline, like I said I've made a lot of sacrifices over the last few months and the game is nowhere near finished - but it is a game. For example - I pretty much spent all this weekend playtesting, noting bugs and fixing...repeat.

Happy for you to submit your game, I'm not the one who makes up the rules and there's nothing to say you can't. I just think if you knew about it in January you could have announced it and then if it wasn't ready could have pulled it or submitted what you have.

Geezer
Old 25 February 2019, 11:59   #15
spud

@phx's project can take my place

I agree with the majority: we all knew the time-frame given when we started and no extension should be necessary.

By the way @DamienD: thanks for your hard work moderating the competition forum. We shouldn't forget that your efforts take up your own unpaid free time and it is appreciated.
Old 25 February 2019, 12:13   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

All i can say: The time of the deadline was too short from the beginning. This had to be 9-12 month. I saw this a few times in several C64 competitions were 6 month wasn't enough and they extended it. It leads to much better results. Hope you take this in mind for potential later Amiga compos.

edit: And LeCaravage just proved me right.

"I'm also afraid I can't present a valid entry at deadline time. Looks more like a bugged tech demo for the moment. It's not a problem of delay but I'm just too slow. So I'll continue working on the game and release a fully preview after deadline.

Good luck to other dudes, I can't wait to see your creations !"
Old 25 February 2019, 13:48   #17
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
All i can say: The time of the deadline was too short from the beginning. This had to be 9-12 month.
My guess is that it has been a compromise. I agree that a new game from scratch will require 12 months (we needed that for Solid Gold, which was completely from scratch). Otherwise I could imagine that people who are not actively involved in the competition would become bored by such a long period, and certainly lose interest.

It was clear to me from the beginning that 6 months are only sufficient for very simplistic games or new games based on an existing engine. Anyway, once the rules are set and the competition has started they shouldn't be touched!
Old 25 February 2019, 14:13   #18
Leffmann

LeCaravage and phx, I think both of you should definitely submit your games to the competition.

Most of the other entries also seem to be in a beta state, and the general opinion of the thread is that while the deadline should stay, new/late entries are fine.

Go for it!
Old 25 February 2019, 14:39   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
LeCaravage and phx, I think both of you should definitely submit your games to the competition.

Most of the other entries also seem to be in a beta state, and the general opinion of the thread is that while the deadline should stay, new/late entries are fine.

Go for it!
Agreed

Same goes to spud also: Discussion: Vamp and the Pork Pie Escapade
Old 25 February 2019, 15:16   #20
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
This.