English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 October 2010, 13:06   #1
No Regrets

Whats the point in owning the hardware?

What is the point in owning an A1200,600,1000,500 etc...

When you have just bought a new powerful PC that runs WinUAE sweet as a nut?

I don't know maybe because it saves on wires needs no TV turbo loads and a HD the Amiga could only dream of.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Why do some people surf the net using an Amiga?
It's lunacy.

I love the AMIGA Like I love the world i just don't like the people in it they're the ones that make it a crappy experience.

Old 30 October 2010, 13:07   #2
Graham Humphrey

Nice first post there... you are from Ipswich though so I don't expect you to understand
Old 30 October 2010, 13:09   #3
No Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Nice first post there... you are from Ipswich though so I don't expect you to understand
EEE BY GUM

Thats rich

Old 30 October 2010, 13:16   #4
Graham Humphrey

Hmm, well with comments like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
I love the AMIGA Like I love the world i just don't like the people in it they're the ones that make it a crappy experience.
...you are obviously only here to troll and stir things up, so my finger is already hovering over the big red button marked 'ban' my six-fingered friend.
Old 30 October 2010, 13:18   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Lol, I like that you don't like Amiga people... Why come to a forum that Amiga people discuss their hobby on?

Most of us here like the original harware, we collect it and enjoy upgrading it. No, I don't use my Amiga's to surf the internet I have a perfectly good PC to that but still its pretty awesome to see these machines get online especially through WiFi something I'm sure people would never have even thought possible with an Amiga 20 years ago!

You cleary wont understand but there is something awesome about those giant Zorro cards, the Z3 Fastlane for example its huge! For me they are a joy to work with and although I use UAE to setup my hard drives all my Amiga use is on the real thing, I just can't play a game on UAE it just dosen't feel right

Steve.
Old 30 October 2010, 13:32   #6
Bloodwych

This is like saying what's the point of owning a classic car, or classic old toys. It's enjoyable. Emulation is fantastic, but owning, maintaining and running actual hardware just feels different.

It's an enjoyable hobby - only a very small minority use Amiga's exclusively. Plus no offence, but it sounds like you've been hanging around Amiga die hard fans. Most peeps on EAB are much more flexible and laid back about using the Amiga.
Old 30 October 2010, 13:40   #7
Jimbo

Just to talk about the internet part.

My Amiga is online (wireless). Guess why?

1) I can FTP straight to my PC for files
2) I can use AMR/HOL/File Server perfect. Why? Again a click of a button I can have a file on my Miggy HDD. That means no CF PCMCIA card.

I don't know anyone who would surf with an Amiga apart from the above I have listed.

BUT even if they do, that is there choice.

Cheers

EDIT: I see you are from Ipswich not far from me. Don't let the side down by making everyone think Ipswich boys are thick

Rise up and beyond it.

Last edited by Jimbo; 30 October 2010 at 13:49.
Old 30 October 2010, 14:10   #8
No Regrets

Fair enough

All fair points.

Thank you for your feedback.

@ Graham i am not here to troll as you put it so please move away from the button before you destroy the world.

Old 30 October 2010, 14:12   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
heheheheh and LOL you just gota love threads like these

basically if you have to ask you`l never understand
Old 30 October 2010, 14:21   #10
No Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
heheheheh and LOL you just gota love threads like these

basically if you have to ask you`l never understand
Like saying if you have to ask the price you can't afford it,
but how could you possibly know what i have in my bank account because of the way i look or speak based on an arrogant assumption you've made based on that and your own life exprience, background, upbringing.

Not a fair point and it's flaming and argumentitive bordering on trolling.

Old 30 October 2010, 14:44   #11
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I have been asking myself the same question lately. I am running out of room for amigas both in my living space and my life in general. A once enjoyable hobby became an obsession and now its just an annoyance. I think its time to move on.
Old 30 October 2010, 15:03   #12
No Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I have been asking myself the same question lately. I am running out of room for amigas both in my living space and my life in general. A once enjoyable hobby became an obsession and now its just an annoyance. I think its time to move on.
Well put.
I am not trying to deter anyone from their hobby/passion i am just saying whats the point in owning all the hardware when a powerful or not so powerful PC can emulate the Amiga virtually and any model so well thanks to the great efforts made by the people/person who created WinUAE.

Just saying

Old 30 October 2010, 15:04   #13
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
so you seriously don`t get why ppl like to own or collect things

Not everyone wants to buy a new powerful PC

also there are lots of things the emulator can`t do that real hardware can

but as ever its horse`s for courses so u decide whats best for you
Old 30 October 2010, 15:20   #14
No Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
so you seriously don`t get why ppl like to own or collect things

Not everyone wants to buy a new powerful PC

also there are lots of things the emulator can`t do that real hardware can

but as ever its horse`s for courses so u decide whats best for you
Fair enough but your argument holds no water.

Why don't you explain why old hardware running its intended software is better than a PC that can do the same JOB UNDER EMULATION and a whole lot more than any AMIGA bar one on the market?

If you don't know the bar one then you need to look up who currently owns the commodore name.

Old 30 October 2010, 15:52   #15
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
If the hobby takes up too much space in the house you end up getting mad about it especially when you don't have enough space to actually use the stuff anymore. Some people go nuts and have many multiple of the same exact machine (most not even functional).

I have been collecting old computers for about a decade now. In the last couple years I think my collection has doubled, which means I now don't have the room I used to to get around and use all of them (mutliple tables with computer setup to run as needed). So I can either lose interest and junk it all or just weed out the items I will probably not use much so I have space to enjoy what I have left.

I think you learn more with real hardware then using emulators, and it is more fun. Some people like me just like to tinker and fix old hardware as much as using the software built for those machines. Strictly gamers will probably just use an PC EMU or a portable gaming device with the EMU built in, for them it is just the fun of gaming not the platform that is important. This is good because it fees up the vintage machine for those people who like to fix them.
Old 30 October 2010, 15:55   #16
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Just saying
Oh were you?

Quote:
You aren't 'just saying', you're deliberately making inflammatory remarks to provoke a response.

Quote:
Not a fair point and it's flaming and argumentitive bordering on trolling.
Well, you should know.
Old 30 October 2010, 15:58   #17
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@No Regrets

What is the point of this thread? You come to a dedicated Amiga board where members OBVIOUSLY have a passion for the machine. This passion goes beyond simply being able to recreate all the functions of the hardware. Even if it was/is a perfect recreation.
Old 30 October 2010, 16:42   #18
jotd
This cat is no more

I agree that games feel right on the Amiga, and suck on WinUAE. I don't know why. The controls? the display? the fact that people use laptop with crappy sound instead of good speakers?
(It's like people complaining about the cool sound of the vynile records)

But I also confess that once I'm used to develop stuff on WinUAE (whdload slaves mostly), I cannot stand the slow speed of my 060 amiga!
Old 30 October 2010, 16:48   #19
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I agree that games feel right on the Amiga, and suck on WinUAE. I don't know why. The controls? the display? the fact that people use laptop with crappy sound instead of good speakers?
(It's like people complaining about the cool sound of the vynile records)

But I also confess that once I'm used to develop stuff on WinUAE (whdload slaves mostly), I cannot stand the slow speed of my 060 amiga!
I think the point is we live in a world where we can have both and both have their uses
Old 30 October 2010, 16:51   #20
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I only ever emulate these days, but I d o still own my A500. I don't think I could ever sell it.