English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 07 July 2010, 17:39   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@NewDeli
Maybe it's really an idea just to post about your problem next time or at least mention it somewhere along the way (preferably in the first post). I know that I sound like a broken record, but again you shouldn't assume something to be the solution if you aren't sure. Using the pagefile won't solve any memory leak if there is one and WinUAE already does it anyway, like every other application and why the talk about putting the harddrive in the pagefile and... really, why not keep it to the point?
Old 07 July 2010, 17:58   #42
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
It's an adaptation from the famous funnel technique used by sales reps. OK, apparently it won't become popular in the near future among tecchies !

So it all boils down to the catalysts inefficiency for extended use during the same session ? Interesting.
Old 07 July 2010, 18:00   #43
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli View Post
I have noticed WinUAE "exhausts" Windows (Windows Vista most notably, as it's the main OS is use here) faster than other proggies.

So I said to myself : Could it be that WinUAE depends too much on free RAM ? I wouldn't mind too much a somehow slower AmigaOS boot up time, if that meant I could "reload" numerous times without the side effect I just mentioned.
Not on this laptop. Running Windows Vista.

See with useless 1Gb Fastram

Old 07 July 2010, 18:12   #44
Maccara
The Spanish Songstress

Quote:
It's an adaptation from the famous funnel technique used by sales reps. OK, apparently it won't become popular in the near future among tecchies !
Definitely not! It's extremely annoying! And gets no results whatsoever.

Quote:
So it all boils down to the catalysts inefficiency for extended use during the same session ? Interesting.
See, I could've told you after your first post (if it included the real reasons for this request), that I've seen a similar issue (I run ATI too).

We could've focused on the real issue instead of beating around this crap instead.
Old 07 July 2010, 18:34   #45
NewDeli
Banned

I wanted to make a one stone hits two stones coup 'cause I sincerely thought it had something to do with a
"not enough free ram -> switching to page file -> WinUAE doesn't like it" issue.
Sorry about that.

Let's behave as nice chaps and focus on this Catalyst issue Maccara also experiences, agreed ?
Old 07 July 2010, 18:49   #46
Maccara
The Spanish Songstress

That's what TCD (among others) have been trying to tell you: don't jump to conclusions. Makes it much easier to get to the real issues.

Quote:
Let's behave as nice chaps and focus on this Catalyst issue Maccara also experiences, agreed ?
This is not exactly the same issue you're having, but can you try switching rendering mode (d3d<->ddraw) when it happens next time.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52752

I never saw anyone else experiencing it so didn't bother to look further as I had a workaround. It is most likely an ATI issue (which winuae just might happen to expose - didn't see anything wrong with the code, though).
Old 07 July 2010, 19:23   #47
NewDeli
Banned

I'll let you know if setting up a page file where WinUAE sits in may work as a workaround. Who know ? Maybe it will (I don't care to wait for a few more seconds between WinUAE sessions) !

I suppose nobody except Toni bought one of these Radeon HD 5x beasts to tell whether it is tied to specifically to our gfx card model or to the Catalysts ? It isn't excessively annoying but it might give a wrong signal as whether it is time or not to upgrade again. Apparently, the 4850 hasn't quite done its time yet (I hope not !) for the average user.
Old 07 July 2010, 19:30   #48
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Why don't you try setting up your laptop in a deep dark cave somewhere away from everyone.

Then you can open and close WinUAE all day and it won't bother us
Old 07 July 2010, 19:33   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I'll let you know if setting up a page file where WinUAE sits in may work as a workaround. Who know ? Maybe it will (I don't care to wait for a few more seconds between WinUAE sessions) !

Seriously Del, there's something wrong with you. Maccara already explained you what's going on. Really, what's your problem?
Old 07 July 2010, 19:37   #50
AmigaFriend

Quote:
I'll let you know if setting up a page file where WinUAE sits in may work as a workaround.
NewDeli, I really fail to understand your stumberness in a total pointless idea, when you had sensible replies on the matter telling you otherwise. Either you are plain dumb, or you fail to understand the English words posted on this thread.

I'm sorry, but I think enough is enough.
Old 07 July 2010, 19:57   #51
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
can`t be botherd read a lot of these posts today, sorry guys & dudes but

If you are useing a 32 bit version of windows theres no point haveing the swap file bigger than 4 Gig
Old 07 July 2010, 20:01   #52
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Also, don't put your swap file on a usb 1 external hdd.
Old 07 July 2010, 20:02   #53
NewDeli
Banned

Strangely enough, I don't seem to have this problem since the day I enabled a page file on my emulators partition (and one on the c: partition too). Of course, it could also come from improvements in WinUAE, after one series of bugfixes or another.

Catalysts are not perfect but they are regularly updated, so I though about investigating other possible causes. Hey, just as Saint Augustin, I am not asking anyone to give me credit for trusting in priority my own eyes, but it is how it is !
Old 07 July 2010, 20:08   #54
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I would recommend using a Swap File of over 1mb.
Old 07 July 2010, 20:29   #55
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
@haps
At the age of 2, you're much too young to drink beer ! Just wait 'till you're 1 and it should be OK.
Cheers, for pointing that out for me Deli, I have now set my age to 1 year old again. And in my opinion that is the most productive thing that has eventuated from this dismal thread.
Old 07 July 2010, 20:31   #56
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

@ Deaulevive....... Please will you STOP responding and replying to this thread you've made?

The more you reply, the MORE you fail (I know, who would have thought it possible to continue to fail more?), or do the decent thing, find out who moderates this particular part of the board, and ask them very nicely to please delete this thread as its only going to end in tears........ yours most likely!

I note with humoured interest that you've changed your name to "NewDeli"..... alas, nothings changed, still the "OldDeli"!!!!!
Old 07 July 2010, 20:53   #57
NewDeli
Banned

You should know for having struggled with the temptation to pack your things and leave EAB because of some GM intervening, Sir :
"It is always enjoyable to make fun of others tragedy 'till it actually hits you."

This proverb's origin is Indian, of course .
Old 07 July 2010, 21:06   #58
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Of course.

Who didn't know that??!?!?!

Make sure your swap file is in the same PC as the one you are using.
Old 07 July 2010, 22:38   #59
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Of course.

Who didn't know that??!?!?!

Make sure your swap file is in the same PC as the one you are using.
Thats just silly talk.

I keep my swap file on my mobile phone, frees my PC up completely.
Old 07 July 2010, 22:44   #60
Graham Humphrey

I think this thread has run its course.

One more step out of line for NewDeli and he can pack his (virtual) bags. No ifs or buts.