English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 August 2021, 18:24   #21
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Who wants to sit around and remember? The patents are expired and anybody can make an Amiga compatible now.
Old 17 August 2021, 18:31   #22
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
I find it fascinating that so much effort is being put in to make Amiga surf the net, or play MP3s...when these things are better done by a modern device. Forcing it to do these things is not what we remember it for.
Well, those are the things I wish my Amiga could have done when the Amiga still was my main computer. There is some appeal in seeing what might have happened. I started browsing the net using Mosaic. The various Amiga web browsers aren't any worse than that.
Old 17 August 2021, 18:48   #23
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

Quote:
I'm been looking more and more into the PiStorm, and it seems to me that this is the product that will easily take away 80-90% of Vampire potential customers.

Why would you get the Vampire over PiStorm?

Is there a killer app on the Vampire over PiStorm?

Not crapying on Vampire - it has done a lot for Amiga. However, there is no choice but to say PiStorm puts huge pressure on Vampire from the bottom due to cost and features.
Nope. Not even in the same league, really. The RTG of the PiStorm is nice, but not as compatible as the Vampire. Speed is no comparison at all. PiStorm does a reasonable job of emualting a 68020 or 30 at about 45 Mhz or so - but the problem is that those specs fluctuate wildly depending on what the Pi is doing at the time.
CHIP RAM access is the real killer. It is just slow compared to even a stock Amiga 500 with no expansions. That means some games run like garbage.
Old 17 August 2021, 18:49   #24
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Who wants to sit around and remember? The patents are expired and anybody can make an Amiga compatible now.
No they are not. Where did you get that idea?
Old 17 August 2021, 18:51   #25
Anubis
Retro Gamer

n00b has no idea how to kill vampire?!

On serious side, projects like this (pi storm) are what might get me back to use real hardware again vs. emulation / FPGA. Vamprie might be great but cost is just something I can't justify.
Old 17 August 2021, 19:15   #26
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_Computi View Post
No they are not. Where did you get that idea?
According to US law a patent cannot be extended beyond 20 years and is initially at 10 years. Commodore frittered away its wealth and couldn't even afford to renew some of its patents in 1994 so even the ones that were filed later have expired. What hasn't expired are the copyrights and trademarks. So install AROS and use FPGAs and you're in the clear in the USA.
Old 17 August 2021, 19:18   #27
Anubis
Retro Gamer

LOL, I had no idea that patent is only 20 years. Was thinking it is the same as copyright / trademark.

Quote:
A U.S. utility patent, explained above, is generally granted for 20 years from the date the patent application is filed; however, periodic fees are required to maintain the enforceability of the patent.
https://www.stopfakes.gov/article?id...20the%20patent.

Every day I learn something new. Thanks!
Old 17 August 2021, 19:40   #28
manossg

Quote:
I guess one could take a Honda Civid and turn it into a 4x4 Jeep like thing with NOS and other hotrod things. Is that what the Amiga was intended to do?

Maybe the original Amigas could not deliver these things, because they were not the tool intended to deliver it?

I find it fascinating that so much effort is being put in to make Amiga surf the net, or play MP3s...when these things are better done by a modern device. Forcing it to do these things is not what we remember it for.
What is the Amiga intended to do? I would think that amigans would be hard-pressed to reach a consensus.

Sure, Amiga wasn't originally intended to play mp3s, but I get a good (guilty?) amount of pleasure at listening to mp3s (or doing other things the Amiga was or wasn't "intended to do") in my Vamp, without the system breaking a sweat.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:06   #29
eXeler0

Quote:
I guess one could take a Honda Civid and turn it into a 4x4 Jeep like thing with NOS and other hotrod things. Is that what the Amiga was intended to do?

Maybe the original Amigas could not deliver these things, because they were not the tool intended to deliver it?

Now that you mentioned web surfing and at the topic of using the Raspberry Pi to extend the capabilities of the Amiga, check out this thread i started from some 5 years ago.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81166
Old 17 August 2021, 20:15   #30
Havie

Pi Storm looks like a great idea (but not if you have am AGA machine) but isn't in the same league as a Vampire speed wise (no idea about the RTG). Cost is amazing and I guess it would be an ideal set up for an Whdload machine? I would have thought that the cheaper end of the market should be the ones looking out not the Vampire end. Seems around the same prices a 4/8meg ram upgrade to me.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:16   #31
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
WOW! That's news!

No royalties? No limits?
Old 17 August 2021, 20:17   #32
Havie

Maybe the mini can have an Amiga logo after all.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:18   #33
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Pi Storm looks like a great idea (but not if you have am AGA machine) but isn't in the same league as a Vampire speed wise (no idea about the RTG). Cost is amazing and I guess it would be an ideal set up for an Whdload machine? I would have thought that the cheaper end of the market should be the ones looking out not the Vampire end. Seems around the same prices a 4/8meg ram upgrade to me.
They (PiStorm team) mentioned that they have plans for A1200 version.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:22   #34
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
I would have thought that the cheaper end of the market should be the ones looking out not the Vampire end. Seems around the same prices a 4/8meg ram upgrade to me.
It is certainly going to pull from all performance boosting hardware, and I agree, all acceleration, RAM cards...PiStorm has to be in the mix.

I think feature alignment against Vampire is quite significant, so that would be tops. Acceleration/RAM - those users are more "original hardware" more likely and are less likely to look at Vampire/PiStorm/FPGA and more likely to aim for 1260 at top upgrade.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:26   #35
dreadnought

Quote:
Cost is amazing and I guess it would be an ideal set up for an Whdload machine?

I was thinking about this, what would I do if I was buying an Amiga setup now (I'm interested only in quality WHDload experience, don't care for extra speed, RTG, etc). 2 years ago I went for ACA 500+. Looked at it yesterday out of curiosity, and I think I would go with ACA again after all. PiStorm's cost, when you tally up the extra RPi + WB license comes very near ACA.

And that 30 second boot really put me off too.

I still think it's a great option, just probably not for me.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:51   #36
mschulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Of course, PiStorm booting for 30 secs while displaying Linux/RPi stuff can also put a damper on the "reality" of this experience, because it's a very tangible thing. But I guess they make less claims to being "real" than the FPGA side (or do they?).
Thirty seconds, you say? Well, this is due to the Linux being booted first. But this 30 seconds lag is not a PiStorm feature, just the firmware.

How about bare metal such as Emu68 on PiStorm?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/55019666
Old 17 August 2021, 21:16   #37
ShK

Yes it doesn't start quickly, but it takes less than 30 seconds. Here is a cold start:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 August 2021, 21:34   #38
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Yes it doesn't start quickly, but it takes less than 30 seconds. Here is a cold start:
Ok, that's not so bad. I took this 30 sec figure from this post: https://www.epsilonsworld.com/2021/0...aos-32-on.html
Old 17 August 2021, 21:45   #39
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
PiStorm runs faster than 040 A4000, has RTG, WiFi and scsi built in. It is plenty fast enough for me when running my WHDLoad A500. The possibilities of Pi4 or Pi CM support is intriguing. The cost of Vampire has always been a deterrent to me.

Last edited by DDNI; 17 August 2021 at 21:51.
Old 17 August 2021, 22:16   #40
nikosidis

Very soon PiStorm will run Emu68. It got no RTG, Wifi or SCSI for now, but it can come later.
Emu68 will boot in a few sec. Faster than Vampire and will probably run as fast as Vampire on Pi 3.
How compatible it will be remains to be seen. It is probably a long way to go, if ever it will be as compatible as Vampire. It is a JIT emulator