English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 September 2023, 12:54   #1
AndyFC

Midlands Amiga Enthusiasts (MAE): First meeting 21 October '23

A new Amiga group is starting in the UK, Midlands Amiga Enthusiasts.

Our first meeting is in three weeks time on Saturday 21 October, 11am - 4pm.

We're meeting at:
The Westbury Community Centre
Westlea Road
Royal Leamington Spa
CV31 1JE

All info, and updates will also be on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/691509295694734

You can also see our entries on retro.directory:
October '23 event: https://retro.directory/browse/event...siasts-meeting
Group: https://retro.directory/browse/listi...ga-enthusiasts
Old 06 October 2023, 17:42   #2
bronwaith

Hey. I'm very interested in attending as I live in mid wales, but will be unable to attend this time round as train tickets this late on are terribly exspensive (£90!) but hopefully some point this year.
Old 07 October 2023, 01:22   #3
invent
pixels

Only 25 mins away from further north where I used to live (40+ years ago) - CV5 9NA
Old 09 October 2023, 00:39   #4
bluescrn

Hi, I'm interested, and nearby.

Haven't been a very active Amiga user recently, and only browse these forums occasionally, just happened to spot this thread.

I was completely obsessed with the Amiga in the early-mid 90s. Made a game, albeit a poorly designed Lemmings clone, in my teenage self-taught Blitz Basic years. Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago...

Still got my original A1200 from back then, also a MiSTer and a C64. Maybe one day I'll find the time/energy to have a go at some retro gamedev for either the Amiga or the C64.
Old 09 October 2023, 19:55   #5
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post

Haven't been a very active Amiga user recently, and only browse these forums occasionally, just happened to spot this thread.

I was completely obsessed with the Amiga in the early-mid 90s. Made a game, albeit a poorly designed Lemmings clone, in my teenage self-taught Blitz Basic years. Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago...

Still got my original A1200 from back then, also a MiSTer and a C64. Maybe one day I'll find the time/energy to have a go at some retro gamedev for either the Amiga or the C64.
I really like Blobz, good work! Would love to see you make another Amiga game someday.
Old 09 October 2023, 21:17   #6
bluescrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
I really like Blobz, good work! Would love to see you make another Amiga game someday.

I looked at the code recently (still got the code, but lost some of the source artwork somewhere along the way), and it's a miracle that it ever worked at all, such a badly-structured mess. I didn't even indent my code back then and naming conventions were abysmal (partially due to editing code on a small TV, not many visible lines on screen). And Blitz didn't really support multi-source-file projects, so it's mostly one huge source file.

But somehow, I actually finished it and got it out there while I was about 17 and doing my A-levels. Certainly had more energy back then than I do in my 40s. The Blitz 2/DPaint/Octamed combination was pretty amazing for the time.
Old 09 October 2023, 21:37   #7
lionagony

Quote:
I looked at the code recently (still got the code, but lost some of the source artwork somewhere along the way), and it's a miracle that it ever worked at all, such a badly-structured mess. I didn't even indent my code back then and naming conventions were abysmal (partially due to editing code on a small TV, not many visible lines on screen). And Blitz didn't really support multi-source-file projects, so it's mostly one huge source file.

But somehow, I actually finished it and got it out there while I was about 17 and doing my A-levels. Certainly had more energy back then than I do in my 40s. The Blitz 2/DPaint/Octamed combination was pretty amazing for the time.
It's incredible that you did all that at 17, very impressive!
Old 16 October 2023, 19:41   #8
AndyFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronwaith View Post
Hey. I'm very interested in attending as I live in mid wales, but will be unable to attend this time round as train tickets this late on are terribly exspensive (£90!) but hopefully some point this year.
If the meeting's successful, we'll arrange another date and publish it as far in advance as possible.
Old 16 October 2023, 19:42   #9
AndyFC

Quote:

It would be great to meet you. If you can't make this meeting, then hopefully at another one in the future
Old 19 October 2023, 16:51   #10
Megalomaniac

I assume you'll be opening a branch in Bristol called MAE WEST?
Old 22 October 2023, 18:45   #11
AndyFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I assume you'll be opening a branch in Bristol called MAE WEST?

Almost as bad as my suggestions for Leyster Amiga Group (named after the local Lord Leyster, and nothing to do with the city in the East Midlands) or South Warwickshire Amiga Group (SWAG), which I discussed on the South West Amiga Group (SWAG) Facebook page.

It went really well. We're aiming for a next meeting sometime early in the new year.
Old 22 October 2023, 21:39   #12
leeg

I’m in Stratford-Upon-Avon and only just read this thread! I’ll look out for future meetings.