English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2017, 17:49   #1
HAM6_Video

Help Needed - Is HAM Video Possible?

Hello all, I'm a long-time Amiga owner and have found myself contemplating the various audio and video modes available via the ECS chipset and how to utilise them for a video project I am working on.

I would like to convert 720 x 576 video shot at 50 progressive frames into 4096 colour HAM6 format as I've always found the way that the Amiga displays HAM6 images to be very interesting and I like the artifacts and strange colour mapping.

Is 720 x 576 overscan possible on an ECS machine and from there, is it possible to set up a batch tool that can take each and every frame of the video, convert them into 4096 colour HAM 6 mode and save them, even as single images which I can later stitch back together via a PC?

I'll be running WinUAE so there'll be no real hardware involved.

I know it's a bit of an ask but I did some tests a long time ago and the results were great so it's time to move up to video.

Old 15 March 2017, 18:10   #2
ross
Defendit numerus

There is some remarkable recent example:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86335

Old 15 March 2017, 19:24   #3
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM6_Video View Post
I would like to convert 720 x 576 video shot at 50 progressive frames into 4096 colour HAM6 format as I've always found the way that the Amiga displays HAM6 images to be very interesting and I like the artifacts and strange colour mapping.
Some people think the same "artifacts and strange colour mapping" looks bad. I guess it has a certain look and feel to it like programmers deliberately adding CRT like distortion, scan lines and old film effects to gfx and videos. I guess this is alright but I'm drawing the line and have to say no to anyone wanting to bring back an interlaced flicker effect .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM6_Video View Post
Is 720 x 576 overscan possible on an ECS machine and from there, is it possible to set up a batch tool that can take each and every frame of the video, convert them into 4096 colour HAM 6 mode and save them, even as single images which I can later stitch back together via a PC?
PAL OSCAN_MAX=724x566 and OSCAN_VIDEO=736x566. ECS supports higher resolutions but most can't do HAM6. AGA hardware should be able to do HAM6 or HAM8 at higher resolutions.

ADPro was good at batch conversions but may not understand all the newer picture formats. SView5 on Aminet may be able to handle it as well as some other gfx software with ARexx ports.

There is the following recent link on this forum about HAM video using HAM frames also.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84854
Old 15 March 2017, 19:40   #4
ross
Defendit numerus

My bad, I did not carefully read the request.

With ECS machine, HAM is lores only.
(like in posted link)

Bye,
Old 15 March 2017, 20:06   #5
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
My bad, I did not carefully read the request.

With ECS machine, HAM is lores only.
(like in posted link)

Bye,
Yeah, however a 352x288 (half of it) should be doable in a 030 ECS at 15/20 FPS easily
Old 15 March 2017, 20:18   #6
HAM6_Video

I've been trying out a program called HAM_Convert (V1.1.1) for Windows and it seems to be just what I need. However, I need to compare an image processed by it and an image processed via Deluxe Paint 5 as it was that look that seemed to work best for me. I'm not sure the images will be identical but with some tweaking, I should be able to get what I need and it also has batch support so creating a folder of still images is doable.

Old 15 March 2017, 21:05   #7
pandy71

For interlace mode framerate will be 25 frames per second (or 50 fields per second) - WinUAE is not limited by CHIP RAM bandwidth so HAM can be done with full Lores overscan possible.
ffmpeg on PC is capable to create 4096 color (12 bit RGB) raw video (or images) - later they can be converted to HAM.