English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 31 January 2019, 17:36   #1
AMIGASYSTEM

Integration OS3.1.4/3.9

I noticed that there are some incompatibilities in merging these two systems, I list some, maybe you do the same thing too, so that there is more information.

- The Locale of the OS 3.9 Applications is not compatible with that of OS3.1.4, to make it compatible you must replace the "SYS" folder with that of OS 3.1.4

- With WBPattern OS 3.1.4 there is no "Layout" tab to set the various modes of the background, so it is not possible to adapt the image to the video resolution.
If you change WBPattern OS 3.1.4 with WBPattern OS 3.9 and do not replace "IPrefs" OS 3.9 in addition to the problem of localization will no longer work the "Layout" to set the various modes of the background.

@Admin
I have wrong "section" You can move

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 31 January 2019 at 17:44.
Old 31 January 2019, 17:48   #2
DamienD
Banned

...I was thinking before I read the last 2 lines of your post; "what's this have to do with support.WinUAE".
Old 31 January 2019, 17:59   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

In fact i was wrong but I could not move delete, thanks Damiano always fast and kind
Old 31 January 2019, 20:18   #4
gulliver
BoingBagged

Both issues you mentioned were already stated in the AmigaOS 3.1.4 FAQ, which is in Aminet.

http://aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.1.4-FAQ.txt
Old 31 January 2019, 20:28   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

OK thanks, but it is not specified that you can not use on OS 3.1.4 WBPattern OS 3.9 if you do not replace IPrefs.
Old 31 January 2019, 20:43   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

I also noticed IconEditor OS 3.1.4 does not support the new OS 3.1.4 icons, while IconEditor OS 3.9 safely supports the new OS 3.1.4 icons
Old 31 January 2019, 22:13   #7
gulliver
BoingBagged

The 3.1.4 icons are not in a new icon format. They are in GlowIcon format which is about two decades old.

AmigaOS 3.1.4 is designed as an update to 3.1, and not to 3.9, although it brings fixes, features and updates that were not present in 3.9.

Please read the FAQ completely. You are missunderstanding what AmigaOS 3.1.4 actually is.

If you want to do a merge between both you can try http://aminet.net/misc/os/Updateto314.lha
Old 31 January 2019, 22:26   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Thank you, i know the type of icons also know Updateto314, i like to manually update to understand. I have updated one of my AFA-OS with 3.1.4, I have also created an OS 3.14 + AfA-OS. But at the moment, in my opinion, the two systems can not co-exist otherwise it is a regress, maybe in the future it will be different afterwards.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 18 February 2019 at 23:13.
Old 31 January 2019, 22:41   #9
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
The 3.1.4 icons are not in a new icon format. They are in GlowIcon format which is about two decades old.

AmigaOS 3.1.4 is designed as an update to 3.1, and not to 3.9, although it brings fixes, features and updates that were not present in 3.9.
But OS 3.1.4 comes with a v45 WB and IconLib and OS 3.5 icons. Hyperion already has the OS 3.9 IconEdit included in their OS 4.0 (4.1 ??), so why not in 3.1.4, too? Don't they have a license for it?
Old 31 January 2019, 23:09   #10
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
But OS 3.1.4 comes with a v45 WB and IconLib and OS 3.5 icons. Hyperion already has the OS 3.9 IconEdit included in their OS 4.0 (4.1 ??), so why not in 3.1.4, too? Don't they have a license for it?
I really dont know if they have a license or not.

What I can tell you that I know of, is that unfortunately some licenses are tied to a particular platform/processor. Again, I dont know wether this is the case or not.

Anyway, IconEdit (3.9 and OS4 versions), do require ReAction, which we currently don't have in 3.1.4.

I would very much like to get a port of this instead:
http://os4depot.net/share/graphics/i...2biticoned.lha

I remeber I contacted the author a couple of years ago to ask him if he was willing to port it. I also remember he was polite, but told me he was not into it. Anyway I bet he used ReAction too.
Old 31 January 2019, 23:48   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

There would also be the IconEditor OS4.1 port by PEB, it also works on OS 3.1.4, but something is still missing to be perfect:

Http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test%20IconEdit%2068k.avi

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 February 2019 at 01:30.
Old 01 February 2019, 00:00   #12
PeterK

Quote:
Anyway, IconEdit (3.9 and OS4 versions), do require ReAction, which we currently don't have in 3.1.4.
Yes, that could explain why that 68k version of IconEdit from OS4 is not part of 3.1.4.

Quote:
I would very much like to get a port of this instead:
http://os4depot.net/share/graphics/i...2biticoned.lha

I remember I contacted the author a couple of years ago to ask him if he was willing to port it. I also remember he was polite, but told me he was not into it. Anyway I bet he used ReAction too.
That's the other 32 bit icon editor of OS 4.x. I've already asked PEB, the author of IconEditor, what his plans are after he has started to port it to OS 3.x. It works with Dual-PNG icons already, can read, edit and write them, but the support for the OS4 ARGB icons is not done yet. Unfortunately, PEB never sent me a reply. So I don't know whether I should add ARGB image export to my library. PEB's IconEditor is based on AISS, Hollywood and MUI5 (unfortunately 3.8 is not sufficient).
Old 01 February 2019, 10:38   #13
kolla
Banned

Quote:
What I can tell you that I know of, is that unfortunately some licenses are tied to a particular platform/processor.
This has been suspected for a long time, so you can now confirm?

This also means that Hyperion do in fact not have all rights for AmigaOS, as they like to claim.
Old 01 February 2019, 12:42   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Thank you, i know the type of icons also know Updateto314, i like to manually update to understand. I have updated one of my AFA-OS with 3.1.4, I have also created an OS 3.14 + AfA-OS. But at the moment, in my opinion, the two systems can not co-exist otherwise it is a regress, maybe in the future it will be different afterwards.
I like the font you used in that screenshot.

To understand the process, from Updateto314, you can read the script named update3539 with a text editor. It is an AmigaDOS script. I made it that way so that people could read it and understand what I did, so they can afterwards modify 3.1.4 to their liking.

Read that script I mentioned, if you dont understand something, just ask, I will try to answer any doubts you have.

Integration is possible but has compromises.
Old 01 February 2019, 12:55   #15
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
OK thanks, but it is not specified that you can not use on OS 3.1.4 WBPattern OS 3.9 if you do not replace IPrefs.
The solution given in the FAQ is to scale the image manually. It doesn't anywhere say that you should use the 3.9 WBPattern with 3.1.4, but it does say that the 3.1.4 IPrefs can't support those settings.
Old 01 February 2019, 12:59   #16
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Yes, that could explain why that 68k version of IconEdit from OS4 is not part of 3.1.4.

That's the other 32 bit icon editor of OS 4.x. I've already asked PEB, the author of IconEditor, what his plans are after he has started to port it to OS 3.x. It works with Dual-PNG icons already, can read, edit and write them, but the support for the OS4 ARGB icons is not done yet. Unfortunately, PEB never sent me a reply. So I don't know whether I should add ARGB image export to my library. PEB's IconEditor is based on AISS, Hollywood and MUI5 (unfortunately 3.8 is not sufficient).
Yes, we definately need an IconEditor for all icon types.

It is a pitty there are good candidates, but yet we have no final solution.

BTW, the other day, I made a couple of good looking glowicons thanks to your IconLib project:

I started with PNG images, resized and color reduced them, then converted them to glowicons with your library, and then finally added the finsihing touches with IconEdit from 3.9.

Thank you for your continued work on IconLib!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CasablancaIcons.png
Views:	173
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	61855  
Old 01 February 2019, 13:01   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
nderstand something, just ask, I will try to answer any doubts you have.

Integration is possible but has compromises.
Ok Thanks but I should not have trouble understanding the script.
One of the things I do not like about it fusion between OS 3.1.4/3.9 is that all the app of the prefs are static, in practice it is not possible to enlarge or enlarge the GUI and you can not save size and position, all things you could do with OS 3.9 thanks to ReAction and MUI.
Quote:
I like the font you used in that screenshot.
I have not changed any Fonts, it is the AFA-OS extension that improves the quality, but you can do even better, look at the fonts in THIS my full AfA-OS.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 February 2019 at 22:43.
Old 01 February 2019, 13:08   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The solution given in the FAQ is to scale the image manually. It doesn't anywhere say that you should use the 3.9 WBPattern with 3.1.4, but it does say that the 3.1.4 IPrefs can't support those settings.
There are users who tend to merge the two systems maybe taking only some App (success to my friends) and it is right they are said and so that all are informed.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 February 2019 at 14:44.
Old 01 February 2019, 13:22   #19
gulliver
BoingBagged

@AMIGASYSTEM

Your workbench looks very polished.

And yes, I agree that ReAction/MUI prefs should be a way to move forward, into the future.

@kolla

Please dont take things out of context.

What I am saying is that AmigaOS during its entire lifetime has been distributed with third party components, and these components of course were licensed under certain specific conditions (contracts):

That is why for example, the Say utility was removed in the AmigaOS 2.x era from AmigaOS, the same happened with the Genesis TCP-IP stack, etc.

So, that is a possibility.
But the most educated guess might probably what PeterK mentioned.
Old 01 February 2019, 14:40   #20
kolla
Banned

Quote:
What I am saying is that AmigaOS during its entire lifetime has been distributed with third party components.
Right, and now you are saying this is also the case for OS components distributed with OS4, which is a bit news worthy IMO.