English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 14 October 2007, 16:43   #1
Ebster

Eek CD32 compatible PSX-Pads with Autofire and Mouse Emulation!

Hi there,

it´s been a long time since my last post but this may be interesting for you:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN:IT&ih=006

the total price is for three of these interfaces including one dual shock pad including postage and packing.

so it is less than 30€ per interface and i think the description sounds amazing!

as cd32-pads are quite rare, expensive and less good to use than the everywhere available psx-pads this might be a great deal for some of you. not to speak of the mouse emulation...

i asked the guy if i could do a little advertisement for him and he agreed. he does these on request so feel free to mail him.

it is 100% his own project and has nothing to do with the "appe" that can be found on aminet.

i will receive mine next week and will post my experiences.

best regards, ebs.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:26   #2
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
I need a whole bunch of these, I hope he makes a lot more and sells them too.
Old 15 October 2007, 09:30   #3
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i neeed a load of these too
Old 15 October 2007, 10:23   #4
Cammy

Meee toooooo!
Old 16 October 2007, 00:44   #5
Computolio

I don't get it though- why sell them 3 at a time?
Old 16 October 2007, 09:21   #6
Ebster

because i wanted three - he did this on my request.

as i wrote, feel free to email him for e.g. one if you like..
Old 16 October 2007, 12:10   #7
kriz

Anyone tested this adapter ?
Old 16 October 2007, 20:36   #8
Ebster

i will post next weekend, but this seems to be a nice and credibe guy and i believe his explanation.

the only thing that i am not sure about is how the mouse emulation with analogue sticks and the analogue stick as a replacement for the digital sticks will work.

but even if it will be "only" digital transferred to analogue without the analogue feel it still is a GREAT gadget...
Old 16 October 2007, 21:06   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

the PSP analogue stick controlling the mouse on PSPUAE is fine, so using that would be ok for me for sure.

i'm sure you'll be able to handle it

still waiting on a reply from my e-bay message. Got a direct e-mail address for the guy?
Old 16 October 2007, 21:22   #10
keropi

do these have a PIC inside?
Old 16 October 2007, 21:57   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

one would assume so.

i know thats how the APPE one worked. i guess this guy may want to keep the details to himself
Old 27 October 2007, 14:35   #12
Ebster

negative first:

my two sony dual shock CONTROLLERS of the first generation do not run with the interfaces.

from my two sony digital only pads of the first generation runs only one.

my sony dual shock ps2 CONTROLLER runs with a certain latency.

general:

the mouse runs "only" digitally with analogue sticks

digitally steer by the adaptation of the mouse speed however is at all no problem!

the positive:

one original sony digital PAD functions.

reco´s provided 3rd party dual shock PAD runs flawlessly.

my 3rd party digital stick of the ps1 works.

mouse emulation is ingenious!
autofire is likewise ingenious!

(BTW did i mention that i love babelfish) ...
with divide, the their serve did ran almost any cd32 game - only fighting makes spirit grumble around the 20 in such a way tested and feeling, e.g. wing COMM other or roadkill with one psx PAD to play is class!! will PAD collection mine befriend test and am safe me to find still two compatible original sony pads which I will then exchange for my incompatible then am I desireless lucky! note: 2+ (laughing my ass of but i am too lazy to translate myself )

best regards!
Old 10 November 2007, 15:07   #13
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

ok, i finally got mine this morning.

Ebgster's is a pretty good assessment.

my main qualm is with the analogue stick support. Not one of my offical Sony PSX pads (i dont know generation, or how to check) will work with the analogue stick.... perhaps this is related to the fact that on the provided (analogue working) pad, the stick works when analogue-mode is switched off not on (??) - this is a bit of a disapoint as the means compatibility is much lower than it would be if this was rectified.

my 2 grey PSX analogue pads, and 1 digital pad however operate great on the d-pads and buttons etc, and i am much agreement about the excellence of the mouse emulation. Pads that dont work are a black (korean made, it tells me) PSX pad (seems to "hold" directions when pressed) and my 2 PS2 pads (sony and 3rd party) - this is hardly a surpise though, as i wasnt expecting them to work.

so mostly very good, although despatch of the item was much later than when i order it, i was at least kept informed of the progress. My only disapointment being that in order to have 2 working analogue pads, i have to buy another dirty-cheap 3rd party PSX pad!

would be nice to have a compatibilty list for the pads somewhere... *cough-cough*
Old 10 November 2007, 15:42   #14
Smiley
Amiga-less!

TBH....

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...f9fb5a9fce3ca1
Old 10 November 2007, 16:32   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

@smiley - eugh no! the layout isnt even right!

and just look at that price! PSX pads on ebay can be as little as £1

i have some competition pro cd32 pads, which are great, but are getting more and more expensive to replace - but the analogue stick is fast become a neccesity for SWOS with me since my usage of winuae, so now i am getting the best of everything putting that onto real hardware
Old 19 November 2007, 17:39   #16
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster View Post
negative first:

my two sony dual shock CONTROLLERS of the first generation do not run with the interfaces.

from my two sony digital only pads of the first generation runs only one.

general:

the mouse runs "only" digitally with analogue sticks

digitally steer by the adaptation of the mouse speed however is at all no problem!

the positive:

one original sony digital PAD functions.

reco´s provided 3rd party dual shock PAD runs flawlessly.

my 3rd party digital stick of the ps1 works.

mouse emulation is ingenious!
autofire is likewise ingenious!

(BTW did i mention that i love babelfish) ...
with divide, the their serve did ran almost any cd32 game - only fighting makes spirit grumble around the 20 in such a way tested and feeling, e.g. wing COMM other or roadkill with one psx PAD to play is class!! will PAD collection mine befriend test and am safe me to find still two compatible original sony pads which I will then exchange for my incompatible then am I desireless lucky! note: 2+ (laughing my ass of but i am too lazy to translate myself )

best regards!
I read all the way to the word "latency" and then sighed, posted this, and will not look back. Somehow interface makers get the loathsome idea that "some latency is ok". Whereas, in fact, nothing is the interface's function demands huge buffers, slow hardware, and slow programs.

If it were a 400/800+dpi optical mouse interface counting pulses, sure, he'd need 1-2 msecs to read enough pulses.

A cheap interface that has any latency at all is worth nothing to me. In fact, they'd have to pay me a salary to use it. The guy chose cheap hardware+software, and all his customers will end up swearing at some game and not having fun at all.

I'm sure that guy could make a better (more expensive if he can't optimize the buffering) interface that is fantastic - one that at I would buy.
Old 19 November 2007, 18:42   #17
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

@Photon

errr i've had NO latency problems with this adaptor whatsoever, so i think the pad is at fault in that case.

Quote:
edit: in fact it DEFINATELY is because it's a PS2 pad, and the adaptor is not PS2 pad compatible

read more carefully before slagging off people's hard work! the guy has done a great job on this, even though i myself mentioned some disapointment with the analogue compaibility (which apparently there shouldnt be in any case, becasue its a digital-only controller.... the fact some pads work with analogue is an "accidental" bonus)
Old 20 November 2007, 13:42   #18
Photon

Hey, I can't make assumptions what controllers work with it or not, never tried it, you know ! - tester said the evil word, wanted to scream "accept latency from no hardware" since I'm on a crusade. Rawrr! It would be better to bundle with a supported controller then.

Just I was thinking of buying something like this and it seemed like the usual "just got a card with a cool chip with some I/O ports, let's make an interface". But assumption is the mother of all fuckups (c) Seagal so I should not assume this.

I actually _thought_ it was a bit funny there should be latency, since the guy obviously spent time on analog conversion/mousejoy/autofire etc. Should be easy enough for him to specify its exact latency to remove any doubt. (I know most normal emuppl can't "feel" even giganormous latency, but most action game players soon get wise.

Last edited by Photon; 20 November 2007 at 13:53.
Old 20 November 2007, 22:50   #19
Ebster

i just gave an overview of what i had been testing...

to sum it up: i use two ORIGINAL GREY SONY DIGITAL PADS and two of reco´s adapter cables on my cd32 - they WORK FLAWLESSLY with every feature advertised. finally i enjoy gaming with the best pads there are on the cd32. i DO NOT NEED my OTHER PADS, just tested them. this was a great deal for me, but nobody else needs to buy this item. just wanted to inform the interested.

as a matter of fact reco took these off ebay some time ago because of some people having had issues and i found it very kind of him to build some more individually for me. he even "forced" me to take one third-party-pad, just to prove that his project worked fine if i would have had heavy problems. this was for approximately two extra pounds... nobody is getting rich right here with other people´s disappointment. i was informed about everything before i bought the adapters.

PSX PADS ON THE CD32 ARE GREAT!!!
Old 21 November 2007, 00:24   #20
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Hey, I can't make assumptions what controllers work with it or not, never tried it, you know !

that's why we've reported what ones work in this thread

(i actually suspect the one i have that doesnt work properly is faulty anyway)

Quote:
It would be better to bundle with a supported controller then.
as was mentioned, guarentted compatible pads are provided at the request of the buyer.

Quote:
But assumption is the mother of all fuckups (c) Seagal so I should not assume this.
that will teach you to skim read threads!

Quote:
since the guy obviously spent time on analog conversion
as i said before, there is no analogue conversion. Analogue pads WORK but only in digital mode (i.e. the d-pad)

the pad i was supplied where the analogues stick does work, in fact operates with analogue mode "off" - i guess this means these pads revert to operating digitally (even on the analogue stick) with a-mode off... something it appears the official Sony pads do not.

Quote:
I know most normal emuppl can't "feel" even giganormous latency, but most action game players soon get wise.
as mentioned.. there is none! Sensible Golf proves this! (it took me a while to adjust to not compensating for online-play lag, and pspuae slow-down!)

i agree with Ebster, reco kept in good contact throughout and kept me well informed. In fact, ive even asked him to obtain me another of the un-official pads where the a-stick works in digital mode, so that my mates can use it when playing Speedball 2 or SWOS (as we normally would on winuae)

i dont blame you Photon for wanting to be sure this isnt some crappy product, and yes i would like to see him add PS2 compatibility and analogue->digital conversion, but as it stands, this adaptor does everything i was told it would do quite brilliantly.