Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 May 2019, 19:40   #1
trydowave

Reshoot R crashing!

Reshoot r digital download, downloaded 3 times on different machines
Extracted on PC and Amiga
Run or installed and run on the following:

Stock A1200: Crashes when starting the game
A1200 030/33 aga 1232 128mb: Crashes before level 1 starts when it says First Resort.
Winuae on windows pc: Crashes before level 1 starts when it says First Resort.

Please help/

Thanks
Tony
Old 30 May 2019, 20:26   #2
buzzybee

Sent Tony a new archive, also suggested to switch from WB 3.9 to 3.1 if possible. Unfortunately I cannot help with Win UAE, since the game was developed on FS UAE (which is the Mac-version of Win UAE, but hey – it´s on Mac not Windows!)

I do know that quite a lot of you guys play RESHOOT R on Win UAE without any problems. Would you post your basic config settings here?

Generally, please make sure you got 1.8 mb of chipmem available. This is mentioned in the manual, it is very crucial. The game should warn you if memory is low; but it seems that on some occassion the game does not recognize low memory, and then crashes after exiting title screen and loading stage 1.
Old 30 May 2019, 21:13   #3
DanyPPC

A1200/030 desktop OS 3.1.4 and WinUAE 040/JIT no problem.
Old 30 May 2019, 21:54   #4
trydowave

i think this is whats happening... is there a way to load the game and bypass workbench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Sent Tony a new archive, also suggested to switch from WB 3.9 to 3.1 if possible. Unfortunately I cannot help with Win UAE, since the game was developed on FS UAE (which is the Mac-version of Win UAE, but hey – it´s on Mac not Windows!)

I do know that quite a lot of you guys play RESHOOT R on Win UAE without any problems. Would you post your basic config settings here?

Generally, please make sure you got 1.8 mb of chipmem available. This is mentioned in the manual, it is very crucial. The game should warn you if memory is low; but it seems that on some occassion the game does not recognize low memory, and then crashes after exiting title screen and loading stage 1.
Old 30 May 2019, 21:59   #5
roondar

You could start up the Amiga/emulator in "no startup-sequence" mode.

To do so, press and hold both mouse buttons during bootup and the early startup menu should appear. Here you can select several options, including booting without startup sequence.

Then, use the CLI to go to the proper directory for the game and run it from the CLI. This often works with problematic games.
Old 30 May 2019, 23:40   #6
wairnair

I can get to the title screen just fine, but I cannot start the game. no matter what buttons I press on both joypads. I'm not supposed to have a keyboard, am I? (I have joymouse enabled under workbench to navigate)

The texts in the title scree are changing noticeably faster than they should, you can barely read them.

CD32 + TF328 + ClassicWB. (8mb fast + ide)

anyone else?
Old 31 May 2019, 00:36   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
The only issue I first had when playing via WinUAE is detailed here in the RESHOOT R - A new shoot em up by Richard Löwenstein is HERE! thread.

Using an A1200 AGA (2MB Chip and 4MB Fast RAM) config and a bare-bones / self-booting .HDF that I created (so no OS); all is perfect.

It also works fine using an A1200 AGA (2MB Chip RAM) config though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
i think this is whats happening... is there a way to load the game and bypass workbench?
As you've clearly purchased the game trydowave; I could send this .HDF to you so that you can try?

Last edited by DamienD; 31 May 2019 at 00:53.
Old 31 May 2019, 10:37   #8
buzzybee

@wairnair: I´d propose to try the approach roondar suggest - bypass the workbench by booting to shell, cd´ing to to directory where RESHOOT R is stored an starting the game by typing the command reshootr.bin.

If this works, it must be one of the tools you got running in the WB background. Please keep me updated!
Old 31 May 2019, 10:41   #9
buzzybee

@trydowave: Got your pn on Facebook. Glad you got the game running on emulator. Would be kind to share your approach here, just in case someone is in emu trouble too.

The slow pace you notice is an emulation issue. Generally, I again strongly suggest to play RESHOOT R on real hardware since that´s where the game runs smoothest und looks best. If emulator, please make sure you´ve got a modern hardware configuration, because RESHOOT R really is a stresstest for Amiga emulation and performs well only on fast Windows or Mac-machines.
Old 31 May 2019, 11:16   #10
Solo Kazuki

True, on real hardware game is looking smoother.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 May 2019, 17:11   #11
wairnair

Quote:
@wairnair: I´d propose to try the approach roondar suggest - bypass the workbench by booting to shell, cd´ing to to directory where RESHOOT R is stored an starting the game by typing the command reshootr.bin.

If this works, it must be one of the tools you got running in the WB background. Please keep me updated!
Turns out disabling 'FreeWheel' in ClassicWB under 'Tools' solved the problem.
It's a tool for people with a mouse so it was of no use for me anyway. (I have 2 joypads connected to the CD32)

I'm off for some shooting!

update: nope, turning off FreeWheel doesn't solve it. It's very intermittent if I can click in the game. It seldom works, mostly it doesn't.

update 2: it was joymouse. case closed.

Last edited by wairnair; 31 May 2019 at 23:44.
Old 31 May 2019, 23:06   #12
trydowave

Hi all. The problems are now fixed.

On winuae i just my own A1200 040 config with cpu speed set to fastest etc. Cant remember all the adjustments but after some tinkering i got it running at a decent rate.

But, i normally run stuff on real hardware and as others have suggested, its the best way to play. (on crt too )
Should have read the manual but it seems obvious to me now that the game needs every last bit of mem to run so i copied the game to my misc drive, booted with no start up and ran it from cli: misc: cd RESHOOT_R, execute reshoot_r

the game starts and plays perfectly on my accelerated A1200.... tomorrow im gonna give it a go on my stock A1200.

Thanks Richard for a great game. got to level 5
Old 31 May 2019, 23:08   #13
trydowave

Thanks DamienD. Got it sorted now

but... ill get back to you if i have trouble with it on my stock A1200. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
The only issue I first had when playing via WinUAE is detailed here in the RESHOOT R - A new shoot em up by Richard Löwenstein is HERE! thread.

Using an A1200 AGA (2MB Chip and 4MB Fast RAM) config and a bare-bones / self-booting .HDF that I created (so no OS); all is perfect.

It also works fine using an A1200 AGA (2MB Chip RAM) config though...

As you've clearly purchased the game trydowave; I could send this .HDF to you so that you can try?
Old 31 May 2019, 23:26   #14
BarryB
Amigaholic

I found that in my WinUAE A1200 Workbench 3.9 config with RTG, that after installing RESHOOT_R and opening the folder where my games are stored then I lose 900k of chipmem, opening the RESHOOT_R folder then closing my games folder doesn't free up that chipmem, but closing the RESHOOT_R folder frees it up?

So I just drop to shell, CD into the RESHOOT_R folder and run 'execute reshoot_r', that gets it working!

Also, is there a 'quit to OS' option?
Old 13 July 2019, 03:45   #15
buzzybee

Closing the RESHOOT_R folder (or any other folder) frees chipmem, because the AmigaOS stores the content of each opened window in memory. The more files are stored within a folder, the more memory is needed.
Old 09 March 2021, 23:03   #16
Patrickx1989

Hoping someone can still help me, I only bought Reshoot_R today. I am using WinUAE.

First the postive: After some trying around I managed to get it to run without the OS. However this is not satisfying for me, mainly because I want to use a trainer (I'm a casual gamer, not as young as I was back when I had my Amiga 500).

Now my question: How can I get this to run within the OS, I am using the AmigaSYS 4 package btw? If I try to launch the game from within the Workbench 3.1, I only get a grey screen, nothing happens? I suspect a memory issue but I don't know enough about the whole thing to know how to free up memory. This is also the ONLY game this happened to me (for example, Crossfire II works without any issues).

Honestly, instructions or a patch that solves these memory issues would be appreciated. Sorry for being so frank, I appreciate that these kind of games are still been made, but the game was quite expensive, and for that amount of money I would expect a more hassle-free gaming experience. Even getting it to run directly was a time-consuming trial and error process.

Oh, and I tried the suggestion of booting Workbench without the startup sequence and starting the game via the command line - same result, grey screen
Old 10 March 2021, 04:46   #17
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

You might want to try the WHDLoad installer.
http://www.whdload.de/games/ReshootR.html
Old 10 March 2021, 07:37   #18
nikosidis

I always run this game from command line "boot without startup-seq"
If not the game mostly crash or will not start.
I'm pretty sure it is my chip-mem.

Still the game can crash other places but it does not happen often and
is hard to reproduce. From what I remember it happened mostly after
completing level 1 trying to load level 2.
Old 10 March 2021, 08:34   #19
Patrickx1989

Hmmmh.. I'm unfortunately not familiar with WHDLoad and it seems quite difficult too use. Also, running from command line boot as @nikosidis describes doesn't work either.
Basically, the only way I was able to get it to run was by starting WinUAE, then adding the directory with the reshootr.bin as a harddrive and then booting it directly.
But I don't want to do that because I can't use the trainer that way Any other suggestions how I could maybe change settings in WinUAE to free up chip-mem?
Old 10 March 2021, 08:41   #20
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
Hoping someone can still help me, I only bought Reshoot_R today. I am using WinUAE.

First the postive: After some trying around I managed to get it to run without the OS. However this is not satisfying for me, mainly because I want to use a trainer (I'm a casual gamer, not as young as I was back when I had my Amiga 500).

Now my question: How can I get this to run within the OS, I am using the AmigaSYS 4 package btw? If I try to launch the game from within the Workbench 3.1, I only get a grey screen, nothing happens? I suspect a memory issue but I don't know enough about the whole thing to know how to free up memory. This is also the ONLY game this happened to me (for example, Crossfire II works without any issues).

Honestly, instructions or a patch that solves these memory issues would be appreciated. Sorry for being so frank, I appreciate that these kind of games are still been made, but the game was quite expensive, and for that amount of money I would expect a more hassle-free gaming experience. Even getting it to run directly was a time-consuming trial and error process.

Oh, and I tried the suggestion of booting Workbench without the startup sequence and starting the game via the command line - same result, grey screen
First of all, thanks so much for buying RESHOOT R.

For your understanding: There are so many Amiga-configurations around these days, it's just not possible for a hobbyist project like RESHOOT R to test them all. The game is designed to run on basic AGA-Amigas, and it needs at least 1.8 MB of chipmem. So Fast-RAM is not necessary if you boot the game (on a CD32, for example) but strongly recommended if you want to run the game from WB. The game runs fine if you simply boot it up on CD32 or run it on any A1200 with 2 MB of Fastmem and not too many resident WB-tools.

Having said that, as you are using an emulator, it should be easy to make sure you got AGA-chipset and > 1.8 MB of Chipmem, and as much Fastmem as you'd like. My developer Amiga-emulator runs with 8 MB Chip and 128 Fast, for example :-)
Keep in mind the Chipmem needs to be unfragmented. So if you had many tools and some games running from WB, then switched back to WB and tried to run RESHOOT R, fragmented memory might crash the game.

On some A4000 there might be an issue, which you can solve by using the WHDLoad-client recommended by @Retroplay. Last not least, some resident WB-tools might cause interrupt conflicts and crash the game too. Try switching them off, one by one.

If all of this does not work, please give me a call and I'll be your personal assistant in getting the game to work on your emulator. I am pretty sure you will have a lot of fun with RESHOOT R.