English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 01 November 2021, 11:59   #61
skyzoo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I certainly do intend to fix them.

There's one thing about making Amiga games, you learn a hell of a lot on the journey and so I'll revisit it and fix a few things next year.
Glad to hear that, and I think using the help of the forum users can make a big difference in the time it takes to track them down.
Old 02 November 2021, 15:18   #62
skyzoo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
This is interesting..
Sure it's a lack of memory problem, but why can't it be replicated in emulation?
Maybe different fragmentation? But why in case?

EDIT: it could also be that the version we are using is not exactly identical, I am using the one I had in my hdd

Can you try the version I put in the Zone?

I think my 1200 has some problems, I retested the same Rygar in the version downloaded from Itc.io and the one downloaded from "the zone". And it started working even without disabling cc0: e cpu cache at boot.
I did some tests with various xcopy, and programs to test the hardware, and DURING THE WRITING of the floppies there are errors right away, so I think the problem is related to my 1200 maybe the area near the Paula needs some repair. This has driven me mad, but I have come to this conclusion by exclusion.

So I think Rygar AGA has no problem.
Old 30 January 2022, 07:02   #63
dankcomputing

There's no attract mode and the game hard-freezes on initial load if you run it in NTSC. This happens both from disk and WHDLOAD - if the game can't be made to run in NTSC (the arcade version certainly does) then it should at least be able to switch into the appropriate screenmode.

I did notice one little improvement over the arcade - a number of the backgrounds have gradients added, and they look a lot nicer as a result. The AI is also significantly less aggressive and the hitboxes seem more forgiving.
Old 04 February 2022, 14:24   #64
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcomputing View Post
There's no attract mode and the game hard-freezes on initial load if you run it in NTSC. This happens both from disk and WHDLOAD - if the game can't be made to run in NTSC (the arcade version certainly does) then it should at least be able to switch into the appropriate screenmode.

I did notice one little improvement over the arcade - a number of the backgrounds have gradients added, and they look a lot nicer as a result. The AI is also significantly less aggressive and the hitboxes seem more forgiving.
The game was made for PAL systems due to a number of factors. Switch your Amiga into PAL mode. While I could have put the attract mode in it would have caused increased load times.

The background uses 7 colours, however the COPPER increases this significantly, I recall one of the levels uses about 108 colour swaps.
Old 05 February 2022, 08:18   #65
dankcomputing

The PAL thing is a non-issue with WHDLOAD, but I really do think an attract mode would improve the game's visibility at shows and/or conventions - it really is one of the nicest-looking Amiga titles and seeing it in motion would turn the heads of a lot of passers-by.

In fact, if this port was done back when the 1200 was being sold in shops, the demo systems would almost certainly be running it!
Old 23 March 2022, 12:47   #66
Irek´72
´040 User

I don't know if that's the right place for the bug message like this, but I'll do it.
A few days ago, I wanted to update some games on my other A1200 with Kick3.0 and 8MB.
I noticed that Rygar doesn't work as WHDLoad v. 2.0 ( after loading the game for a short time, the game returns to Workbench without a WHDLoad error message). I tried it again on another A1200 with Kick3.0 and 4MB unfortunately with the same result. The WHDLoad version 1.0 worked on both machines without major problems.

The WHDLoad version 2.0 works fine on my others two A1200 with Kick3.1 and 040 CPU.(Blizzard and Apollo)
Has anyone idde what's going on?
Old 11 April 2022, 18:25   #67
Irek´72
´040 User

Hmm, that's strange, I am the only one still using Kick ROM 3.0 on A1200?
Old 11 April 2022, 20:04   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

whdload has issues with kick 3.0, at least some versions
Old 12 April 2022, 18:43   #69
Irek´72
´040 User

I tried the game with a few whdload versions, unfortunately with the same result. As I said the WHDLoad version 1.0 works so far on 3.0 machines. I have trouble only with version 2.0