English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 01 November 2012, 23:32   #1
snakecoils

FS-UAE 2.0: How make an OSX PPC build? [Solved]

Hello and compliments for this wonderful emulator.
I've tried to compile the 2.0.1 source under OSX 10.5.8 with all the suggested libraries installed but the build process quickly stops and the following error come up just after the "make" command:

Quote:
make -C ..
make -C libfsemu
gcc -DMACOSX -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -DWITH_SDL_VIDEO -DWITH_SDL_INPUT -DWITH_OPENAL -std=c99 -Wall -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Iinclude `sdl-config --cflags` `pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0` -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -O2 -arch ppc -c src/emu/emu.c -o obj/emu_emu.o
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Werror=implicit-function-declaration"
make[2]: *** [obj/emu_emu.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libfsemu-target] Error 2
make: *** [bundle] Error 2
Any suggestion for this? The machine where I'm trying to build is a G4 MDD 2x1.42 GHz with 2 Gb of memory, Xcode 3.1.4 installed and the libraries listed from the compiling instruction page of FS-UAE site.
Many thanks in advance, I'm little more than a newbie in compiling sources... :-)

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 04 November 2012 at 18:18. Reason: Added [Solved]

Old 01 November 2012, 23:46   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, and thanks for the compliments!

I have not tried to build for OS X 10.5 myself, I just know it is possible because TobiasNetzel has successfully compiled it, and sent me patches to fix compilation and running under 10.5/PPC (http://code.google.com/p/fs-uae/issues/detail?id=38).

The error message can indicates perhaps a slightly old version of gcc. It is possible the problem would go away with updated Xcode.

But then again, this is just a compiler option to treat a specific warning as an error, and the option is not needed to build, so you can just remove it:
Open the file Makefile in a text editor, and erase all occurences (2) of "-Werror=implicit-function-declaration".

That's all
Old 02 November 2012, 19:44   #3
snakecoils

Thank you very much for your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't help: I have removed the two "-Werror=implicit-function-declaration" strings from the main Makefile then launched the make command but the error is still there, the very same...
Of course I have done this on a fresh unpacked FS-UAE 2.0.1 source: seems that this declaration is elsewhere, maybe outside the FS-UAE source folder?
The Xcode installed in my PPC Mac is the 3.1.4 version, as far as I know it is the latest released for this old generation of Macs.
Couldn't be possible to have the FS-UAE PPC binary also available for download too along the other ports?
I really would to make the build to myself but as extreme solution a ready-made executable is also welcome :-)

Old 02 November 2012, 19:48   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you must also do the same for the Makefile in the libfsemu folder!

I haven't got any PPC computer for testing, which is a major reason why I don't provide builds for it.
Old 02 November 2012, 23:21   #5
snakecoils

Ok, removing the string from both Makefiles did the trick, many thanks for your quick answer!
I am been able to build the binary to run in command-line style and now I am testing FS-UAE on my dual G4 MDD machine.
Since it is a relatively old system I need to experiment some fine tuning in emulation parameters (expecially in the audio part) but I am quite happy about the first results: simply the best Amiga emulation around and now for the PowerMacs too!

Thank you!

Old 02 November 2012, 23:34   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Good , but, since your computer is not the fastest one around, you should probably try out some options to reduce the system requirements. This one:
Code:
video_format = rgb565
should speed up video rendering a bit, If you have problems with stuttering audio, this is most likely a bi-effect of the emulation running a bit too slow, so you should probably consider using accuracy = 0 if you don't need cycle-exact emulation. video_sync = off will also probably help some.

Some more info here http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/performance
Old 03 November 2012, 15:43   #7
nativ

Hi

Excuse me if already asked!

I have a G4 Dual 1.25 PPC running 10.4.11

I might be running 10.5 soon but until that time I am wondering if a Tiger build could be made?

I haven't had experience of coding on the mac yet! If anyone wishes to help direct me in how I can make a 10.4.11 build it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

nativ

Old 03 November 2012, 20:36   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativ View Post
I haven't had experience of coding on the mac yet! If anyone wishes to help direct me in how I can make a 10.4.11 build it would be much appreciated!
Compiling FS-UAE requires gcc ("Xcode") and associated tools, and some libraries with development files. There are some high-level instructions at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/compiling.

Whether it will easily compile on 10.4 or not, I do not know (only 10.6+ is "officially supported"), and perhaps a tweak or two (or ten...) must be done to make it compile and run. You won't really know unless you try...

You should first try to get all dependencies installed (SDL, glib, etc..). I can probably then give some assistance (suggest fixes) if FS-UAE itself does not compile.
Old 04 November 2012, 17:06   #9
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

With FS-UAE 2.1.2 (development version) and onwards, warnings-related compiler options are removed by default, and only used if one runs "make devel=1". Useful for compilation with older GCC versions.