English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 11 June 2019, 00:15   #41
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
We respect Jim's decision but the question is:
It's a bit frustrating that Jim tells us: No, you should not use the cracked versions from Digital Corruption and you can not buy it even if you have money and want to do it legally.

It's his prerogative though. He owns the rights to it. It's pretty clear that he doesn't want people copying it and we should respect that regardless of availability.
Old 11 June 2019, 00:16   #42
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Just use ShapeShifter and PC-Task
Old 11 June 2019, 00:29   #43
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
We respect Jim's decision but the question is: Can we buy PCX & Fusion legally today? Where? I know more than one person that could be interested.

It's a bit frustrating that Jim tells us: No, you should not use the cracked versions from Digital Corruption and you can not buy it even if you have money and want to do it legally.

Is it so complicated to talk with apc-tcp.de for example and reach an agreement with them? Maybe you can not have total control of the units sold but that's better than nothing, right?

Jim, this is not an attack, it's just an idea, we respect your decision but you understand that it's a frustrating situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
It's his prerogative though. He owns the rights to it. It's pretty clear that he doesn't want people copying it and we should respect that regardless of availability.
Yeah, but Estrayk has a very good point.

People are willing to purchase legally so Jim should try to provide a method to enable this otherwise how will anyone be able to use the fruits of his labour?
Old 11 June 2019, 01:13   #44
Estrayk

Quote:
so that you can understand me:
You should not remove the apples from the tree, but you can not buy them either, I prefer that they rot there.

OK, the tree and the apples are from Jim Drew and I respect it, but it does not make any sense
Old 11 June 2019, 19:20   #45
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grex View Post
1. Dear Mr Drew! Nice to hear that there is life again in the development of Fusion and Pcx.
I bought the Fusion-Pcx-Bundle a long time ago. However at that point of time Haage&Partner had already stopped offering support or updates, and also the Microcode-Solutions-Website was already gone. Where can I get the latest updates and drivers for the original 68k-versions of Fusion and Pcx? Me and my A4000/060 would be very happy about it.
V3.2 was the last official release version.

Quote:
2. It has been said in this thread, that Fusion 3.3 is a fake. I haven't checked if the version mentioned before is identical to my 3.3-version. However back then, since all other support was gone, I contacted Joe Fenton. He couldn't help much, but he did - apart from some Pcx-Beta-Stuff - mail version 3.3 of Fusion to me. He said that it was mainly a fix for Mediator-boards. I don't own a Mediator-board, so I can't test if this is the case.
Anyway, this is why I think that 3.3 is not a fake.
The v3.3 that has been floating around is definitely fake. We never had an official v3.3 beta version. The fix for the Mediator was a few byte change, and because the Mediator was not popular it was not something that had to be released.
Old 11 June 2019, 19:27   #46
JimDrew

Quote:
We respect Jim's decision but the question is: Can we buy PCX & Fusion legally today? Where? I know more than one person that could be interested.
Not currently, but a new version is coming. I have several people on the FPGA Arcade Replay team beta testing the new version.

Quote:

Is it so complicated to talk with apc-tcp.de for example and reach an agreement with them? Maybe you can not have total control of the units sold but that's better than nothing, right?

Jim, this is not an attack, it's just an idea, we respect your decision but you understand that it's a frustrating situation.
I have no idea who apc-tcp.de is, but I own the copyrights to FUSION (and PCx) and I can release whatever I like.

Like I said, there is a new version coming. The new version has improved video drivers (with support of several of the FPGA solutions), the ability to use ISO image files as CD-ROM drives, and other changes.

This is not my day job, but I do spend a considerable amount of time developing retro products now.
Old 11 June 2019, 21:22   #47
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah, but Estrayk has a very good point.

People are willing to purchase legally so Jim should try to provide a method to enable this otherwise how will anyone be able to use the fruits of his labour?

This is the bit I'm struggling with. Jim wrote (what is as I understand it) an excellent piece of software. He put the time into it, made it. He owes us all nothing. Why *should* Jim try to provide a method? He's under no obligation to do so. If he doesn't want us to distribute it (as he made clear), for whatever reason it's nobody's decision but his own. The CU Amiga CD is there for people that want it. If they want a different version, they might be able to find someone willing to part with theirs.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the wording here, I apologise for doing so if that's the case. This feels as though the framing diminishes the author's agency and that seems unfair to me. Of course opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one and most smell bad up close.
Old 11 June 2019, 21:51   #48
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
This is the bit I'm struggling with. Jim wrote (what is as I understand it) an excellent piece of software. He put the time into it, made it. He owes us all nothing. Why *should* Jim try to provide a method? He's under no obligation to do so. If he doesn't want us to distribute it (as he made clear), for whatever reason it's nobody's decision but his own. The CU Amiga CD is there for people that want it. If they want a different version, they might be able to find someone willing to part with theirs.
I have no problem at all with Jim asking for pirated / illegal copies to not be uploaded / distributed; do remember that I spent hours removing them all from EAB resources as soon as Jim requested a few months back

...but again I think you're missing the point that Estrayk was making.

There are people who would like to be able to purchase / try this but there's no way possible... How are they supposed to get hold of this software?

Anyway, all this discussion is mute now as Jim has replied saying that a new version is being worked on; and hopefully will be made available for interested parties to purchase.
Old 12 June 2019, 00:44   #49
Estrayk

Thanks for the reply Jim. We look forward to that new version.
Old 12 June 2019, 06:25   #50
JimDrew

In the mean time, people can apparently use v3.2 that was included on the Amiga cover disk CD thing. I was not aware that the full version (with a .key file even) was released that way. That is actually in violation of the licensing agreement for FUSION and PCx... obviously a little late now. A new version is on the horizon for 68K machines. There will be special versions for Replay 2 and a few other FPGA platforms as well.

@DamienD - I appreciate the immediate response by EAB in removing all of the pirated/hacked versions that were maintained or link to from this site. The mods here have always been top notch!
Old 12 June 2019, 12:27   #51
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
A new version is on the horizon for 68K machines. There will be special versions for Replay 2 and a few other FPGA platforms as well.
few other FPGA platforms includes Vampire series?
Old 27 June 2019, 20:27   #52
Grex

The version-string of my Fusion-3.3 reads
FUSION_68k 3.3 (2001-04-12)
and the executable is
Bytes long.

By the way, what actually was the last release version of Pcx?

And will people who can provide a valid Fusion/Pcx-serialnumber get the upcoming versions for a lowered price?
Old 27 June 2019, 20:34   #53
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
In the mean time, people can apparently use v3.2 that was included on the Amiga cover disk CD thing.

Maybe because I'm not native english I don't get it fully but should I understand that you are saying that's ok to use it from that source ?
Old 29 June 2019, 20:23   #54
JimDrew

Quote:
few other FPGA platforms includes Vampire series?

Not currently because I am using some special features specific to the accelerator boards.
Old 29 June 2019, 20:25   #55
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grex View Post
The version-string of my Fusion-3.3 reads
FUSION_68k 3.3 (2001-04-12)
and the executable is
Bytes long.

By the way, what actually was the last release version of Pcx?

And will people who can provide a valid Fusion/Pcx-serialnumber get the upcoming versions for a lowered price?

Yeah, that FUSION is bogus.

PCx's last official release was v3.0.

No, there won't be a discount for being a previous owner 20 years ago. However, the new versions will be cheap.. like $20 or less for both emulations.
Old 29 June 2019, 20:25   #56
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
Maybe because I'm not native english I don't get it fully but should I understand that you are saying that's ok to use it from that source ?

Technically, no. That is in violation of the licensing agreement. I was pointing out that this was done. You can't re-distribute that (or any) version.
Old 29 June 2019, 23:50   #57
Hewitson

If you can't buy it, you have no choice but to pirate it. Simple as that.

You all used to copy shit off friends, BBS's, etc. Why get on your high horse about it now?
Old 01 July 2019, 06:21   #58
JimDrew

I think you need to understand the copyright laws. Just because you can not obtain something does not give you the right to steal it.
Old 01 July 2019, 17:30   #59
Romanujan

I don’t think insulting people will bring you any good. He didn’t stole you anything - didn’t took you car, didn’t even touch your wallet, and your bank balance is precisely the same as if he didn’t pirate Fusion (and his probably too). Broken the law - possibly (might depend on the jurisdiction), but I’m afraid hardly anyone here will be sorry for such... “theft”.

BTW, have you ever seen emulator author unable to solve a problem, because he couldn’t get a legit license for the software not running under emulation correctly? Me - never. Interesting

@Hewitson, look at the FPGA Arcade Slack forum, Jim published there a beta to download for everyone not so long ago, possibly it’s still there... if you still care about Fusion (I don’t).
Old 01 July 2019, 20:48   #60
honx

first i did not download that amiga format cd. i was willing to wait for a new version. i just followed that thread, reading, not posting. but today, after "stealing" and "theft" accusation... now i had to download it. just to act out of spite.
pcx and fusion were available on a official magazine cd, which one actually could buy some time. i can't imagine a official computer magazine would publish anything pirated, so i'm positive that the creators of amiga format magazine had to have some kind of permission to publish it.
and this magazine (along with it's cd) is available on archive.org which is subject to us-american fair use law... well, for me this is legal enough, as archive.org is a fully legal source... even if there wasn't any iso available on archive.org, i dont't think it's very difficult to get hands on a used physical copy of that amiga format issue with cd.
about "stealing"... did someone actually take away anything from you? i don't think so... it's just copied. and how would you know if someone really would have bought this software if it would be possible to buy it...

Last edited by honx; 07 July 2019 at 11:05.