English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 27 February 2006, 10:01   #41
cai24
Graphics Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrlee
erm, I'm not sure any thought went into the design actually! we just made stuff up as we went along and tried to get the coder to put it in!

the classic approach

I miss those days
Old 25 April 2006, 01:06   #42
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

A couple of weeks back i was moving to another apartment, while sorting out stuff i stumbled across some of my old amiga cds, crude dumps from a guy running a board in town. (that guy had amongst other stuff a cd burner, which cost a fortune back in 94.) Anyways, today i stumble about this thread and think to myself, hmm putty squad, didnt i just see that the other day on this cd? *littlepausetoraisethetension*

Well i just checked, its only a preview released by anthrox on 08/94, and doesnt even seem to work, atleast in winuae that is. game asks for disk 8 () right after the 'system 3 presents' screen. Couldnt convert the .dms to .adf via adfopus, only .adz which it failed to do, so i dumped it into an empty .adf image from winuae, maybe thats the prob. No idea if it ever worked, had a dislike for all those cutie platformers except for a few exceptions like pp hammer.

If anyone likes to fiddle around with that one i can up the .dms to the zone. Sry if this is old news, only recently caught the c= flu again hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Putty_Squad_preview_001.gif
Views:	483
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	10897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Putty_Squad_preview_002.gif
Views:	483
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	10898  
Old 25 April 2006, 01:26   #43
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
yes, please up it to the zone!

Edit: That was quick! Thanks bird!

Code:
____ _  _________.__.______________  _______
\__// \ \___ \      I \__   / . \  \/  /\__/
 \// : \/  I  \/ I  _  \/  /  I  \    /RD\/ 
  /  I  \  :  /  :  :   \  \  :  /    \     
  \__I__/\_I_/\__I__I___/\  \___/  /\__)    
+------------- [ AMiGA ] -\__/-\__/--------+
    PUTTY SQUAD (AGA) PLAYABLE PREViEW
Damn, they wrote playable but it stops loading and request disk #8 just as bird has said!

Last edited by Adderly; 25 April 2006 at 01:46.
Old 25 April 2006, 01:57   #44
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Err just downloaded it and its working!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	putty 1.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	10899 Click image for larger version

Name:	putty 2.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	10900
Old 25 April 2006, 02:02   #45
DDNI
Targ Explorer

WinUAE1.2 A1200 3.0rom 2mbchip 4mbfast 680ec20 no jit. All else standard
Old 25 April 2006, 02:05   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As you say, works fine in WinUAE with Vanilla A1200 setup. However this is just the ordinary preview demo isnt it?
Old 25 April 2006, 02:12   #47
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

As supported by Codetapper for WHDLoad
Old 25 April 2006, 02:43   #48
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
WinUAE1.2 A1200 3.0rom 2mbchip 4mbfast 680ec20 no jit. All else standard
It does not run on a PAL setting, needed to set a NTSC chipset or it will request disk#8...
Old 25 April 2006, 08:14   #49
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
It does not run on a PAL setting, needed to set a NTSC chipset or it will request disk#8...
Thats not the case here. Runs as I said above. Have never had the NTSC option ticked. Dont know about real hardware though...
Old 25 April 2006, 15:06   #50
Adderly
[Satan^God]

I tested it again with Winuae and like bird said and i had experienced before, on my standard A1200 configuration the game requests disk 8. If i set the NTSC option @chipset config it works fine, nothing else changed in the configuration. Strange...
Old 29 April 2006, 16:52   #51
derSammler

That's interesting. More than ten years ago, I once had the opportunity to get the full game. It was a cracked copy and came on 8 disks. I'm still annoyed that I didn't copy it. If only I knew how rare it would be years later...
Old 29 April 2006, 20:27   #52
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
That's interesting. More than ten years ago, I once had the opportunity to get the full game. It was a cracked copy and came on 8 disks. I'm still annoyed that I didn't copy it. If only I knew how rare it would be years later...
Which means there is hopefully at least 1 cracked copy sitting waiting to be found somewhere in the world

here's hoping eh!
Old 29 April 2006, 23:25   #53
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

It is highly unlikely the original game was 8 disks. In 1994, you simply did not put out 8 disk platform games. I was under the impression the original was 3 disks. Amiga Power would certainly have mentioned the number of disks in their review if it had 8!

It is far more likely that the disk request code wasn't working or defaulted in the value 8 or something like that.

WindowsKiller: I suspect you were being duped - whoever told you they had the game on 8 disks was probably trying to flog you off 8 PD disks or something.
Old 30 April 2006, 11:09   #54
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
It is highly unlikely the original game was 8 disks. In 1994, you simply did not put out 8 disk platform games. I was under the impression the original was 3 disks. Amiga Power would certainly have mentioned the number of disks in their review if it had 8!

It is far more likely that the disk request code wasn't working or defaulted in the value 8 or something like that.

WindowsKiller: I suspect you were being duped - whoever told you they had the game on 8 disks was probably trying to flog you off 8 PD disks or something.
Wasn't Putty 3 disks?

If so then I would think that Putty Squad would be more disks considering it was AGA so the gfx files were bigger, there were more SFX etc and I'm sure the game itself wouldn't have been smaller!

Nobody knows.. maybe oneday!
Old 30 April 2006, 12:47   #55
derSammler

@Codetapper: The game was much bigger that Putty (which already had 3 disks) and it was cracked! You know, cracked games usually have more disks than the original copy. You are of course right that no one would put a platformer on 8 disks... I was not saying that there's a connection between the disk request message and the full game, it just reminded me of the cracked version.

Despite of that, the game was real. I played it back then, but since I didn't had an AGA Amiga at that time, I didn't copy it. But someone else from Germany must still have it, as the scene was quite big here!

Last edited by derSammler; 30 April 2006 at 13:35.
Old 30 April 2006, 12:50   #56
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
@Codetapper: The game was much bigger that Putty (which already had 3 disks) and it was cracked! You know, cracked games usually have more disks than the original copy. You are of course right that no one would put a platformer on 8 disks...

Despite of that, the game was real. I played it back then, but since I didn't had an AGA Amiga at that time, I didn't copy it. But someone else from Germany must still have it, as the scene was quite big here!
How far into it did you play? are you sure it was not a demo and have you lost contact with the guy who offered it to you?

Surely it must have been spread around the odd BBS or 2
Old 30 April 2006, 12:52   #57
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Is the 8 disc theory coming from the crash in the demo that asks for disc 8?
Old 30 April 2006, 12:53   #58
BippyM
Global Moderator

It is coming from windowskiller saying he was offered putty squad crack which came on 8 disks many moons ago
Old 30 April 2006, 13:00   #59
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
How far into it did you play? are you sure it was not a demo and have you lost contact with the guy who offered it to you?
I lost contact when the guy moved to another city a decade ago, sadly. I only played a few levels, and my memory has faded a little. But I'm quite sure that the main menu did not say "Start Demo" or something like that.
Old 03 May 2006, 13:16   #60
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper

My thoughts also.