English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 01 July 2012, 16:10   #1
Dr.Venom

GUI positioning on multimonitor setup

This has been a somewhat longer standing "issue", which never really bothered me, but I guess it could be improved.

The GUI normally opens on the screen that is active, which is fine if the monitor resolution is larger than that of the GUI. But, on a multimonitor setup where the active WinUAE monitor is set to a resolution smaller than the GUI, it leads to the following (undesired) behaviour:

Monitor 1 = 742x287
Monitor 2 (primary) = 1920x1080

Monitors are aranged physically with monitor 1 on left, monitor 2 on right.

WinUAE is running on Monitor 1 (native lof mode on 742x287 screen). If I press F12 the GUI opens on the opposite monitor (monitor 2) in the above left corner. Then when I do a mouseover to select something the GUI flips inmediately back (before I can select anything) to monitor 1, where I then have to scroll the GUI up and down to find all items (because GUI size is bigger than screen resolution).

Is it possible to create a solution that when there's more than one monitor in the setup and the active Winuae screen has a resolution smaller than the GUI, that it will open automatically centered on the monitor with the larger resolution? In the above case, have WinUAE always open the GUI on Monitor 2, preferably centered on the screen?

I guess another solution could be to have WinUAE remember its last GUI window position, and have that setting saved when WinUAE is closed..
Old 09 July 2012, 10:07   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Again, this is more correct thread

Implemented in next beta. Fullscreen GUI position is stored (separately from windowed position) but only if resolution is large enough so that it fits in any monitor.
Old 16 July 2012, 14:58   #3
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Again, this is more correct thread

Implemented in next beta. Fullscreen GUI position is stored (separately from windowed position) but only if resolution is large enough so that it fits in any monitor.
Hmm, I need to keep better track of this subforum, I missed your messages earlier :-/

With regards to the above. It's working very nicely when used only with LED 1920x1080 screen, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work correctly with a two monitor setup, where one monitor has a resolution of 740x287. It's about the problem described below.

Quote:
WinUAE is running on Monitor 1 (native lof mode on 742x287 screen). If I press F12 the GUI opens on the opposite monitor (monitor 2) in the above left corner. Then when I do a mouseover to select something the GUI flips inmediately back (before I can select anything) to monitor 1, where I then have to scroll the GUI up and down to find all items (because GUI size is bigger than screen resolution).
So basicly it will not save the GUI setting on multimonitor setup, when WinUAE is running on the monitor with the low resolution (740x287).

For example if I drag the GUI to monitor 2 (LED 1920x1080), then next time I open WinUAE and press F12 then it will shortly open the GUI on that monitor, but as soon as I move the mouse there, it flips back to monitor 1, where I have to scroll through the GUI, because of the GUI being bigger than the low resolution.

Interestingly if I set the CRT monitor to be a lace screen (740x574), in which the GUI just fits, then doing exactly as above (dragging GUI to LED monitor), the setting -is- saved, and the GUI stays on the LED monitor..

Any idea, what's causing the issue with the GUI setting not being saved in multimonitor setup, when the screen on which WinUAE is active is 740x287?