English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 February 2022, 21:10   #1
Quagliarulo

Protracker pops by design

Hello

I'm getting annoying "pop" sounds whenever a new note starts on a channel where a note was already playing. The old note is abruptly cut and the noise occurs, due to the level suddenly dropping to 0. I attached a picture of the waveform to show the problem.
FastTracker 2 handles the issue by automatically performing a quick fade-out on the old sample just a split second before starting the new note.
This behaviour happens with the Protracker clone by 8bitbubsy (Windows), with Protracker 2.3F on Amiga and with Hippoplayer.

Two questions:

- How do I remove the popping sound? I have thought about increasing the playing speed and inserting fast volume slides in the problematic spots, but I don't like this solution.

- I'd like to use the module I'm making in a little demo. Does any replay routine handle this automatically like FastTracker 2 does?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waveforms.png
Views:	91
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	74718  
Old 15 February 2022, 11:43   #2
daxb

If you don't like the pops you have "remove" them manually. Beside volume slide you can also use 1xx, 2xx, fine tune, sample editor magic and everything else that helps. :-)

I do not know if a replay routine exits that can do this automatically. I think AHI has a switch for it but I guess you will not use AHI for a demo. Check Octamed.
Old 15 February 2022, 11:58   #3
no9

There are different solutions for different scenarios. What is that sound which pops - looped, non-looped, bass, drone? You can post that tune or just the problematic part only (pattern+sample) if you don't want to reveal to much.
Old 15 February 2022, 15:25   #4
Quagliarulo

I hear pops on channel 0, positions 1 and 7. The long chords are meant to be shortened when the song is done.
Thanks for your time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wip.zip (102.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 15 February 2022, 20:12   #5
no9

I see. First of all I think by years we all have developed a tolerance for such crackles in Protracker music to some extent. Sometimes they are difficult to avoid. In the case you have I think you can alleviate clicks by shortening 'attack' phase of the chord samples. The click won't go away but will be a little bit masked by shortening gaps between short consecutive sounds. But if you really want to get rid of click then you can prepare short 'staccato' versions of your chords which fades out right before new sound is triggered. Unfortunately this needs to take into account the lenght of actually played note.

But I think you not need to worry about that to much.
Old 15 February 2022, 21:25   #6
Quagliarulo

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!