English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 September 2019, 16:31   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Workbench 1.3.3 HD HDF issues

I decided to refresh my Workbench 1.3.3 HD install, after some issues, and run into many problems with installation. Long time ago, we used to copy FastFileSystem from WB1.3.3 and place it as FileSystem when mounting drive - if you do that now, disk does not get recognized. If you try to format it with FFS parameter, it does not work, creates NDOS disk.

#If you just format it normally with any non Cloanto Workbench 1.3.3, you will get bunch of garbage in WB or for instance in Directory Opus.

#If you use Cloanto - format and copying of files work fine, but some programs don't work, such as 'Say' in Utilities. (what makes me wonder what else does not work).

Am I missing something or should there be better way to emulate Amiga 500 with A590 20MB drive??

Here are some screenshots...

Old 25 September 2019, 17:11   #2
LanceT

Try turning on Cycle Exact in chipset?
Old 25 September 2019, 17:18   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I have stopped creating HD from WB 1.3.
As you are using emulation, use a WB 3+ to create the HDF you will use with WB 1.3.
Don't forget to copy the FFS on the disk while preparing it with HDToolBox.
Personally I'd use PFS3aio, but do as you prefer
As soon as it is formatted, use it with 1.3.
Best way to avoid issues
Old 25 September 2019, 17:27   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Corrupt characters: fastfonts active without cycle-exact or immediate blitter. FF is buggy.
Old 25 September 2019, 19:19   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceT View Post
Try turning on Cycle Exact in chipset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Corrupt characters: fastfonts active without cycle-exact or immediate blitter. FF is buggy.
That did the trick with garbage characters on the screen. @ normal speed, characters load correctly. Not sure if there is a fix for fast font for WB1.3. Thank you!

What about FastFileSystem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I have stopped creating HD from WB 1.3.
As you are using emulation, use a WB 3+ to create the HDF you will use with WB 1.3.
Don't forget to copy the FFS on the disk while preparing it with HDToolBox.
Personally I'd use PFS3aio, but do as you prefer
As soon as it is formatted, use it with 1.3.
Best way to avoid issues
If I remember correctly, Paul used KS 2.0+ to setup HD for 1.3 installation. I still didn't manage to get FFS working with 1.3.

Last edited by Anubis; 25 September 2019 at 20:15.
Old 25 September 2019, 23:07   #6
thomas

Evil grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Not sure if there is a fix for fast font for WB1.3.
Yes, just remove it from startup-sequence.
Old 25 September 2019, 23:14   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] I still didn't manage to get FFS working with 1.3.
If you don't mind I would like to give a try. What size do you want for your HDF ?

Edit: I missed the info in your first post : 20MB

Last edited by malko; 25 September 2019 at 23:45.
Old 26 September 2019, 06:54   #8
Thomas Richter

Quote:
I decided to refresh my Workbench 1.3.3 HD install, after some issues, and run into many problems with installation. Long time ago, we used to copy FastFileSystem from WB1.3.3 and place it as FileSystem when mounting drive - if you do that now, disk does not get recognized.
Which version of the fastfilesystem is that? Note that some versions, most notably those from 3.9 and 3.1.4 will not work under 1.3 as they require later versions of the kickstart. Also note that FFS does not work on disk drives under Kick 1.3 unless you set the mask and the bufmemtype value correctly. Mask should be 0x00ffffff and bufmemtype should be 3. Since the regular kickstart mount entry for disk drives does not set these parameters, FFS will not work on floppies unless you have a custom mount file. The reason is that the 1.3 trackdisk device requires floppy buffers in chip mem as it uses the blitter for MFM decoding and encoding, and the FFS without further tuning passes the user-supplied buffers directly to the trackdisk.device. As they are typically in fast mem, disk transfer will not work. As for the fonts entry, this was already covered by Tony. There is a FastFonts replacement on Aminet that also works with topaz.9 and that does not have the bug you observed. If you need it, you'll find it there.
Old 26 September 2019, 15:05   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

For Workbench 1.3 of course I am using 1.3 FFS.

Here is instruction on setting 1.3.3 on HD made by Paul long time ago: http://guide.abime.net/wb1.3/chap1m2p2.htm

Wow, linking guide twice today... so unusual. Still miss Little Green Alien.
Old 26 September 2019, 15:49   #10
Thomas Richter

Quote:
For Workbench 1.3 of course I am using 1.3 FFS.
The problem remains: Which harddisk controller is emulated there, and what is the mask and the BufMemType? A couple of DMA-driven harddisk host adapters require 24-bit DMA. Unfortunately, there is no corresponding BufMemType for that under 1.3, so you can only use Zorro-II RAM to make them work.
Old 01 October 2019, 16:17   #11
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Yes, just remove it from startup-sequence.
At the first I was thinking you are joking, but after bit research I actually did that, as part of further modifying startup and adding startupHD made mostly from startup-sequence.HD file. Thank you!

Yep, that did fix issue with fast fonts. Wonder if there is better FF available that works well with WB 1.3.

I am still working on non FFS hard disk. I just can't figure out how to setup FFS to work with WinUAE anymore. (age )
Old 01 October 2019, 18:31   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Well, it seems that fast fonts are only problem if you start them while CPU is set to max. So, I decided to use uae-configuration to set cpu speed to real, run FF, change back speed to max and everything still works without any issues.

Got to love that uae-config works flawlessly on WB 1.3 too. Thank you Toni!