English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 March 2023, 12:57   #1
DanBy

Unable to Install YAM

I'm tinkering around with getting my A1200 online. Roadshow is installed and works fine as does iBrowse. But I can not for the life of me get YAM to install.

I've been to the github (https://github.com/jens-maus/yam/tags) and downloaded the three latest versions; 2.9p1,YAM210dev-20220710-f4bcbf-AmigaOS3.lha, YAM210dev-20210531-9f8731-AmigaOS3.lha. All three fail to install.

Going through the install dialogues you get to the point of clicking "Proceed" to initiate the install and it just hangs at 1%, no progress happens after that.

This appears to be the same as this issue, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80180. However I've tried the given solution of updating my version of C:Installer. I've tried Installer from 3.1.4 and 3.9. There is no difference in the behaviour for the Install script.

I'm running Workbench 3.1 with betterWB. I have MUI3.8 installed in a partition called Utils:

Any ideas?
Old 30 March 2023, 19:35   #2
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBy View Post
However I've tried the given solution of updating my version of C:Installer. I've tried Installer from 3.1.4 and 3.9. There is no difference in the behaviour for the Install script.
YAM install looks for Installer not C:Installer - you may have another version somewhere in your path. You could try editing the install icon to use C:Installer to ensure it uses the correct version.
Old 30 March 2023, 19:40   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I use the latest nightly build with OS3.2.2 (using MUI 5) and never had a problem with installation. It also works just fine with latest AmiSSL.
Old 30 March 2023, 20:26   #4
DanBy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
YAM install looks for Installer not C:Installer - you may have another version somewhere in your path. You could try editing the install icon to use C:Installer to ensure it uses the correct version.
Well C is on my path so placing the Installer binary in C: should allow it to be found?

FWIW I've just tried this in a completely clean workbench3.1 install in winUAE. By default there is not Installer binary so the YAM installer does not run at all. Having placed Installer in C: the installer now runs but continues to hang at the same place.
Old 31 March 2023, 16:21   #5
James

Quote:
Well C is on my path so placing the Installer binary in C: should allow it to be found?
Not if it finds a different version first...

Quote:
FWIW I've just tried this in a completely clean workbench3.1 install in winUAE. By default there is not Installer binary so the YAM installer does not run at all. Having placed Installer in C: the installer now runs but continues to hang at the same place.
Adding a C: to the icon would have been quicker.
YAM is not that difficult to install by hand, AFAIR all you need to do is put the drawer where you want and then copy the required system and MUI libs to the relevant places. I'll double check if I've forgotten an assign, env variable or something and update this post...
Old 01 April 2023, 12:13   #6
DanBy

Quote:
Adding a C: to the icon would have been quicker.
Sure but I have a winuae hard file with a base install on wb3.1 that I can easily copy and I also wanted to check that my issue wasn't due to something I'd previously been tinkering with on my main/physical amiga's hard drive.

Quote:

YAM is not that difficult to install by hand, AFAIR all you need to do is put the drawer where you want and then copy the required system and MUI libs to the relevant places. I'll double check if I've forgotten an assign, env variable or something and update this post...
If you have the time to check that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01 April 2023, 19:53   #7
James

Looks like I was right - there are no assigns or env variables. All you need to do to install YAM is extract it wherever you want and then open the install drawer, select show all files in the menu and you should see a libs drawer and a mui drawer. Drag and drop the libs drawer onto your system drive and drag and drop the mui drawer onto your mui/libs drawer.
The libraries in the latest YAM archive are the newest versions, so it shouldn't matter if they overwrite anything, but making a backup is always wise.
That's all.
Old 03 April 2023, 21:08   #8
DanBy

Quote:
Looks like I was right - there are no assigns or env variables. All you need to do to install YAM is extract it wherever you want and then open the install drawer, select show all files in the menu and you should see a libs drawer and a mui drawer. Drag and drop the libs drawer onto your system drive and drag and drop the mui drawer onto your mui/libs drawer.
The libraries in the latest YAM archive are the newest versions, so it shouldn't matter if they overwrite anything, but making a backup is always wise.
That's all.
Given your suggestion I realised I could just open the Installer script and copy whatever actions it takes. There were a couple of other things to move to a separate installation directory and the MUI contents went to MUI:libs/mui but otherwise you were spot on.

Still not running right now but that's just a lack of RAM issue I can quickly address.

Edit: works fine with plenty Z3 RAM available

Last edited by DanBy; 03 April 2023 at 21:45.
Old 05 April 2023, 16:21   #9
Tarzin

YAM is still working on A1200 (OS3.2)?
Are there restrictions (ex: Gmail not working)

Thanks for your advices
Old 06 April 2023, 20:28   #10
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

The 2.10-dev version (10/07/2022) works just fine for me (on an Zoho account that I use using POP).
A friend is using it with GMail successfully (I guess it's either with 2-factor authentication and app-speciffic passwords or with "Less secure apps" enabled on the account.
Old 12 April 2023, 21:54   #11
DanBy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzin View Post
YAM is still working on A1200 (OS3.2)?
Are there restrictions (ex: Gmail not working)

Thanks for your advices
I would say it is quite painful unless you're on 68030 or faster but otherwise seems fine on my a1200 now that it is working
Old 13 April 2023, 21:10   #12
Tarzin

@mfilos,
Thanks for the tip!

It works with 2.10dev and AmiSSL 5.7
https://github.com/jens-maus/yam/rel...nightly-builds

@Danby,
My Amiga1200 is a 68030 with 128Mo. Yam is a bit slow but quite usable
Old 21 April 2023, 14:59   #13
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzin View Post
@mfilos,
Thanks for the tip!

It works with 2.10dev and AmiSSL 5.7
https://github.com/jens-maus/yam/rel...nightly-builds

@Danby,
My Amiga1200 is a 68030 with 128Mo. Yam is a bit slow but quite usable
You should notice it is not quite so slow with AmiSSL 5.8, compared to 5.7, seeing as the newer version comes with some performance improvements.