English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 April 2021, 22:58   #1
fehmi

Question REminiscence (Flashback engine) - Macintosh assets

I decided to play Flashback once again on my Windows 10 machine after I found out REminiscence http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/ can utilize the higher-res graphic assets (i.e. 512x448) of the Macintosh version. Otherwise, I can get the Windows SDL build working with data files from the GOG version and mod music from the Amiga version without any problems.

REminiscence readme states that:
Quote:
For the Macintosh release, the resource fork must be dumped as a file named 'FLASHBACK.BIN' (MacBinary) or 'FLASHBACK.RSRC' (AppleDouble).
I obtained the floppy disk and also the CD versions for the Mac - both came in SIT archives and I used StuffIt Expander to extract their contents. The floppy version only extracted a 100kb file even though the SIT archive is originally 6mb. I downloaded another copy of the floppy version from a different source but it extracted the same 100kb file. That is why I don't think the SIT archive is corrupt but I am not sure if I'm missing anything here either

The archive for the CD version spat out an IMG file I was able to open in HFSExplorer. However, it contains multiple folders and numerous small files, similar to the structure of the DOS version. Honestly, I am clueless about anything Mac related and have no idea how to dump the resource fork as instructed.

Has anyone successfully extracted / used the Mac assets with REminiscence?

Edit: After messing with nearly a bunch of apps claiming to support SIT archives on Windows (Stuffit Expander, Aladdin Expander, CompreXX, Universal Extractor 1.61), I finally got Universal Extractor 2 RC3 to extract the proper FLASHBACK.RSRC which works with REminiscence. I have also uploaded it to the Zone for anyone who is interested.

You will need to create data folder in REminiscence's directory and place the Mac resource fork in the data folder. You can also download the mod music of the Amiga version from Exotica and place it under data\music folder. One last thing is the voice file from the Sega CD version which needs to go in the data folder - I uploaded that to the Zone, as well. However, I have not tested whether Amiga music or Sega CD voices actually work when combined with the Mac assets.

Edit 2: Amiga mod files are neither used nor needed with the Mac version - music plays during the cut scenes without any additional files. However, Sega CD speech file works just fine.

Last edited by fehmi; 01 May 2021 at 17:48. Reason: added Mac resource fork & Sega CD voice file
Old 27 April 2021, 23:54   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

There is a PC Windows SDL version that can be used with the porting for AROS, OS$ and MOS.
Old 28 April 2021, 00:02   #3
fehmi

I can use the Windows SDL version with the graphic assets from the GOG version and the mod music from the Amiga version. However, the graphics used in the Mac version are higher resolution, 512x448; that is why I want to use them instead.
Old 28 April 2021, 07:03   #4
bni

Sadly I cant help you with the data file extraction. But as a Flashback fan I became intrigued by the higher res graphics from Mac version.

Do you know history about it, like if it was redrawn or upscaled? Does it retain the art style or make it something different. I couldn't find any clear screenshots.
Old 28 April 2021, 08:55   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

stuffit archives are the worst. I think MacOS dropped that resource fork shit with the new versions. It was about time.

Reminiscence is a marvel of reverse engineering. I remember playing it on my Nintendo DS.Maybe you can share the mac assets so we can have a look too?
Old 28 April 2021, 09:03   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehmi View Post
I can use the Windows SDL version with the graphic assets from the GOG version and the mod music from the Amiga version. However, the graphics used in the Mac version are higher resolution, 512x448; that is why I want to use them instead.
I think REminiscence is the same for all platforms, the resolution can be increased on AROS for example I can increase the resolution even more than 512x448, see screenshot

In the PC version you can even get a higher resolution than in AROS!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 May 2021 at 09:16.
Old 28 April 2021, 14:58   #7
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
stuffit archives are the worst.
+1
some old .rar files are a pain too sometime

---
OP, i have made a quick test with an extracted FLASHBACK.RSRC (from floppy version), but sadly reminiscence does not detect it also

can be wrong, but seems not correctly implemented yet...
or maybe the files need to be further extracted starting from this image? dunno

read here :
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/reminiscence

Last edited by kremiso; 28 April 2021 at 15:03.
Old 28 April 2021, 23:34   #8
fehmi

I agree with you all - SIT archives are the worst! I finally got to extract the resource fork with Universal Extractor 2 RC3 and updated my OP with instructions.

I have also uploaded the Mac assets and Sega CD voice file to the Zone. I was able to launch REminiscence with these but have not had the chance to try if a combination of Mac assets, Amiga mod music, and Sega CD voices actually work when combined. Please test and post your findings!
Old 28 April 2021, 23:55   #9
fehmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bni View Post
Do you know history about it, like if it was redrawn or upscaled?
That I cannot say for sure but Conrad's face seem much clearer in the Mac screenshots from MobyGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I think REminiscence is the same for all platforms, the resolution can be increased on AROS for example I can increase the resolution even more than 512x448
I can crank up the graphics in Win32 build without any problems but if you are using the Amiga or DOS assets, REminiscence is actually upscaling the original graphics (i.e. 256x224).

I had a quick test with the Mac assets and without using any command line options, the window is indeed double size. However, I don't really know whether the developer for the Mac port actually used native 512x448 assets or just upscaled the graphics from previous versions
Old 29 April 2021, 18:39   #10
bni

Thanks for the screenshots link. I downloaded some and zoomed in them.

I think that for the Mac version they upscaled the graphics 2x, then an artist improved the detail in some places, or only some of the sprites.

I think it looks quite bad and amateurish, like a minimal effort job. I would stick with the DOS or Amiga assets.
Old 30 April 2021, 01:17   #11
fehmi

After playing the Mac version on REminiscence for a while, I think it has cleaner graphics compared to the DOS version, especially with integer scaling.
Old 30 April 2021, 22:44   #12
Amiga1992

The mac version graphics are far, far superior. Same for Prince of Persia.
Thanks for uploading these, I gotta try it out, Flashback doesn't run too well when ran in the Classic environment on a PPC Mac.

[edit]
How did you get these to work? I don't see an option in the docs to change graphic sets on the W32 version I have.
It's running on a tiny window using Amiga game music (but PC DOS data files)

Last edited by Amiga1992; 30 April 2021 at 22:58.
Old 30 April 2021, 23:38   #13
fehmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
How did you get these to work? I don't see an option in the docs to change graphic sets on the W32 version I have.
It's running on a tiny window using Amiga game music (but PC DOS data files)
I don't believe there is a way to switch graphic assets from one version to another - DOS assets might have prevalence. Just keep Flashback.rsrc and VOICE.VCE in the data folder (and Amiga mod music in data\music); then remove DOS files.

Below are command line options I'm using:
Quote:
rs.exe --fullscreen --widescreen=adjacent --scaler=Nearest
Old 30 April 2021, 23:59   #14
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Nice to see the game engine reverse engineered. My last efforts with Flashback were with RG350 handheld and DOSBox emulation and couldn't get any sound despite tweaking the sound driver.
Old 01 May 2021, 01:55   #15
fehmi

Fun fact - even though I recently became aware of REminiscence, it has been out since 2005
Old 03 May 2021, 22:56   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
I don't believe there is a way to switch graphic assets from one version to another - DOS assets might have prevalence. Just keep Flashback.rsrc and VOICE.VCE in the data folder (and Amiga mod music in data\music); then remove DOS files.
Yeah my problem was that I had put the DOS files in a folder inside /DATA, I guess the program looks recursively for the stuff.

I got it to work and realized this is not how the Mac game works. Looks like a trained version or something, with a level select instead of the regular game menu.
Quote:
The floppy version only extracted a 100kb file even though the SIT archive is originally 6mb.
I fell for the same trap. Used my Mac to extract the file again to a pendrive that then I stuck into a PC, and there's a large file of the required size, hidden in the folder, besides the 100KB file!

Replacing it for what was uploaded yielded the same results. How do I see the game as it's meant to be without the level skip/cheats?
Also there seems to be a lot of slowdowns on my setup.

Also I couldn't get the voice to work though, what commandline do I need to use? Can I set these commandline arguments as default in the INI file?
Old 04 May 2021, 01:29   #17
fehmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
How do I see the game as it's meant to be without the level skip/cheats?

Also there seems to be a lot of slowdowns on my setup.

Also I couldn't get the voice to work though, what commandline do I need to use? Can I set these commandline arguments as default in the INI file?
Original menu - Unfortunately, I don't believe it is possible to get the original game menu. I think this is fair because REminiscence is a total re-write of the game launcher & engine, not emulation.

Speech - you just have to place VOICE.VCE in data folder. You can select the surface level and interact with the man in the booth - he should say "Papers please."

Slowdowns - I haven't noticed any with nearest scaler on my Devil's Canyon processor which is basically 7 years old. What is your scaler?

Command line arguments - I just made a shortcut for RE with these arguments, didn't check whether you can put these in the ini.

Last edited by fehmi; 04 May 2021 at 01:57.
Old 04 May 2021, 04:02   #18
Aladin

no 68k version?

ppc version:
http://aminet.net/package/game/actio/Remini-wos
Old 04 May 2021, 04:18   #19
fehmi

WHDLoad version should run just fine on any 68k Amiga. You won’t really benefit from the advanced scaling features either. Is there really a need for a port?
Old 04 May 2021, 05:15   #20
Aladin

ok, the mac version does nothing more than the amiga version. suddenly, you might as well use the amiga assets for reminescence (little joke )