English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 31 January 2006, 23:43   #1
phil

FMsynth

Hi

i'm looking for a version of this with save enabled....there is a demo version on aminet...did anybody ever have the full version?

Old 01 February 2006, 01:36   #2
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I'm also looking for this. I tried registering years ago but couldn't contact the author.
Old 28 April 2014, 18:11   #3
adrdesign

Sorry for bringin' the walking dead for this thread, I'm always looking for new original amiga sound sources and this SoftSynth always amazed me...

I've found an early version of this synth which includes the sources in Oberon (!?), sort of compiler. It also allows to save the resulting sample in IFF, but it doesn't load any sysex or whatever from the yamaha DX7 (the later version does, and can convert sysex to native FMSynth patch format to render to iff)

I beg for someone to take a look if possible, because this could be THE VERY 1st SOFTSYNTH ever existed AFAIK, and it would be cool to have the full working version for historical purposes.

included: sources in oberon, included in fred fish disk #895

Thanks in advance.

PS: If you like this softsynth please look for SAM, a Wavestation emulator for amiga.

PS2: Sorry for english mistakes if any...
Attached Files
File Type: zip FMsynth.zip (76.5 KB, 503 views)
Old 29 April 2014, 00:06   #4
Amiga1992

Wow this sounds really interesting!
Old 27 September 2014, 02:10   #5
adrdesign

i make a bump for this threat. i'm sure it is a very important piece of software for amiga. I has to be preserved. Anybody knows about the author, or could make a tool to convert patches from the later version to the earlier, which can save IFF multisamples?
Old 27 September 2014, 02:45   #6
mds

Full version was on Amiga Future cover cd.
Don't remember which issue
Old 27 September 2014, 15:46   #7
adrdesign

Ok thanks, I've found its included in Cover CD 91, but its sold out. I'd wish someday my work will be valuable enough for someone to earn a copy. Don't have money, only time. ;-)

At least we found it.
Old 27 September 2014, 16:37   #8
emufan

i cannot find any "patched" version or a keyfile. it's a pitty.
but i found another nice soft synth:
E-Z FM Synthesizer v2.28(1990)(Camel Toe Software-The Other Guys).dms
E-Z FM Synthesizer v2.28(1990)(NTSC)(Camel Toe Software-The Other Guys)(h Skid Row).dms

saving is working. it is working like fmsynth. maybe missing some features.
zoned: E-Z FM Synthesizer v2.28____not.yet.in.Tosec.zip

Last edited by emufan; 27 September 2014 at 17:03.
Old 27 September 2014, 17:27   #9
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
I beg for someone to take a look if possible, because this could be THE VERY 1st SOFTSYNTH ever existed AFAIK, and it would be cool to have the full working version for historical purposes.
For the record, it's not. People were doing software synthesis all the way back on the PDP-1 in the mid-'60s, and real-time playable software instruments go back at least to the Xerox Alto at PARC in the mid-'70s.

But it would be cool to get this up and running, for sure
Old 28 September 2014, 03:05   #10
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
i cannot find any "patched" version or a keyfile. it's a pitty.
but i found another nice soft synth:
E-Z FM Synthesizer v2.28(1990)(Camel Toe Software-The Other Guys).dms
E-Z FM Synthesizer v2.28(1990)(NTSC)(Camel Toe Software-The Other Guys)(h Skid Row).dms

saving is working. it is working like fmsynth. maybe missing some features.
zoned: E-Z FM Synthesizer v2.28____not.yet.in.Tosec.zip
Thank you very much, emufan. Ill have a look!
Old 24 May 2015, 00:47   #11
emufan

good news. thanks to amigafuture.de we now have a full version. archive comes with key file.

thanks AndreasM.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:21   #12
tolkien
AmigaMan

I have downloaded it but doesnt work with my A1200 060. Any special requirement? The screen disapear and I have to reboot my Amiga.

SOLVED: I had dblPAL installed but my current monitor doesnt support it and FMSynth open in that resolution.

Last edited by tolkien; 20 June 2015 at 11:05.
Old 26 May 2015, 18:01   #13
daxb

On my A1200 040 it starts fine. You may check the tooltypes. E.g. LACE and DISPLAY. It tries to open on Pal:LowRes but that shouldn`t be a problem.
Old 27 May 2015, 23:48   #14
emufan

i have no 060 setup here in my Winuae setup so i cannot say exactly.
on my 030/882 wb/kick 3.1 system - the version from amigafuture does work here out of the box.
the program opens some math libs: mathffp, mathtrans, mathieeedoubbas (shown by snoopdos) - maybe some of the libs are 060 specific in your setup and ffmsynth conflicts with the somehow.
maybe another 060 lib or something - but as you know - never touch a running system.
if you have a backup of your system and you can do some experiments - you could try the 060.library from the aminet mmu packages:
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib
http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/Mu680x0Libs
there are also different 882/060 optimized math library package, but i cannot give a good advice here.

btw: once the program is working, you have to open a voice file and press [calc] and use the keyboard to hear the instrument
Old 11 June 2015, 02:45   #15
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
good news. thanks to amigafuture.de we now have a full version. archive comes with key file.

thanks AndreasM.
HOW DID I MISS IT?

Very big thanks to amigafuture.de. This is an example of "take care" of old software and its preservation. It was perfect but incomplete, they researched for the author, made their money and after a reasonable explotation period, they give it to the community as a GIFT. I LOVE that behaviour.

For anyone who didnt know: this program CAN read Yamaha DX7 .SYX and convert them to 5 octaves 8SVX... I think its time for a Special 4Amiga Library, isn´t it?

Please discuss
Old 11 June 2015, 15:07   #16
daxb

Of course, if you like. I tried to save 8svx sample but only get a recording frequency of 8kHz. Is there a way to get higher rates? It is good to have 5 octaves 8SVX in one file? I guess I would like to have each octave as a single sample. FMsynth as a small ARexx port, so saving 8svx could be done automatic by a script. If you need one let me know.
Old 11 June 2015, 15:11   #17

Hi everyone, i got a hold of this and am able to run it on my Amiga 1200 / WB 3.1 with a 68030 ACA 1233 card.. BUT I have no sound?! It seems to work.. even midi in from my keyboard shows notes appearing but nothing i do (clicking keys on screen too) result in sound.. i know the amiga is outputting sound because before loading it i run another program and hear sound just fine. Any thoughts? the version i have included a key file as well so as far as I can tell everything is right.

Old 11 June 2015, 16:15   #18
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 227 View Post
It seems to work.. even midi in from my keyboard shows notes appearing but nothing i do (clicking keys on screen too) result in sound..
It happened to me yesterday when I tried it (REPEATING AGAIN: ITS A MUST). Just press CALC button, or the better, check AUTOCALC somewhere in the menu.

BTW: I will make a basic tutorial ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
FMsynth as a small ARexx port, so saving 8svx could be done automatic by a script. If you need one let me know.
It would be fantastic to have a script to automate the .instrument -> .8svx process, so we could have the entire dx7 sound library with chrystal clear sound. I like playing with arexx, but if you do a script or whatever for this program, why don´t post it?

About quality, I think that program can render 16bit multioctave 8svx, but in the worst case, if you need extract lower octaves (that would be the higher rate ones) inside the 8svx the 1st thing that comes to me is using SoundStudio. The batch method would be using AWAVE, converting those 8svx to .xi or .sf2

hope my english is enough
Old 11 June 2015, 17:38   #19

@adrdesign a tutorial would be awesome!

the only thing i wish this thing had was some kind of "random generate" feature.

i'm excited to hear this thing sing! I just got Sonix 2.0 working with midi which is so cool.

I own two A1200's so what happens is the 2nd A1200 is now a real-time effects processor (soundprobe/audiomaster via dss8 converter) / sampler (bars and pipes / MidiIn) / Softsynth (Sonix / FMsynth).. while the main one is my midi sequencer / sampler.

Good times!

Old 11 June 2015, 23:06   #20
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
It would be fantastic to have a script to automate the .instrument -> .8svx process, so we could have the entire dx7 sound library with chrystal clear sound. I like playing with arexx, but if you do a script or whatever for this program, why don´t post it?

About quality, I think that program can render 16bit multioctave 8svx, but in the worst case, if you need extract lower octaves (that would be the higher rate ones) inside the 8svx the 1st thing that comes to me is using SoundStudio. The batch method would be using AWAVE, converting those 8svx to .xi or .sf2
The attached script can be lauched from Shell or whatever. FMsynth must be running of course. If you want to start it from FMsynth you must rename it like it is mentioned in the docs. However, it opens a filerequester where you choose the directory with voices. Results will be saved to Ram:. If it doesn`t work or you have any suggestions, please let me know.

If you know how to save in better quality then 8bit 8kHz with FMsynth, let me know too.

Last edited by daxb; 13 June 2015 at 19:22.