English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 November 2022, 22:51   #161
Megalomaniac

I only played the Rick Dangerous games briefly in the emulation era. They didn't grab me, but can we think of them as being in the grand tradition of many Spectrum platformers, with the learn-by-experience style, only scrolling this time? Or is it just the kind of sadistic design we sometimes berate British platformers for?
Old 25 November 2022, 01:34   #162
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I only played the Rick Dangerous games briefly in the emulation era. They didn't grab me, but can we think of them as being in the grand tradition of many Spectrum platformers, with the learn-by-experience style, only scrolling this time? Or is it just the kind of sadistic design we sometimes berate British platformers for?
It definitely feels very at home in that area and style, just with a bit more polish to it.
Old 25 November 2022, 07:03   #163
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Hybris
I know this one is highly regarded but I find that I usually want to play something different when Im in a shoot em up mood.
I know what you mean. Battle Squadron is the one I go back to. Impressive how much Cope-com improved in just one year.
Old 25 November 2022, 11:29   #164
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Street Fighter 2
Replay. Everyone rags on this one but I always enjoyed it and we played the hell out of it back in the day. There are better fighters on Amiga for sure but this is a solid 3/5 for me.
Comments on Lemon Amiga complain about 1 button controls but the menu has a 2 button option and that seems to work just fine.
Agreed.
It's not a good port by any means, but it's way better then Final Fight, for example. At least gameplay is somewhat similar to original (although pretty slow).
I've played it on my A1200 back in the day, and I think it's more enjoyable experience then on A500, because the game is 30-50% faster.
Old 25 November 2022, 17:23   #165
Weasel Fierce

Yesterday was mostly family time, so ticking off a few from the "within the last year" list. Though these are games I pick up every X number of months anyways.

Gods
When I saw "God of War" my mind immediately connected "oh, its like a new Gods"
The intro music is possibly the least greek sounding you could get, but the game is great. Theres something about the slow, ponderous nature that helps make the character feel powerful and I really enjoy the visual style. Its also as much of a puzzle game as it is an action one.
4/5

Star Control
Overshadowed by the sequel, but the original game is a little gem. It looks like a DOS game (and I suspect it was) but the pvp fights are a ton of fun and the strategic game mode is pretty satisfying, even if theres not a whole lot to it.
3/5

Wings of Fury
This was a replay since it'd been a few years and was all I got around to yesterday. On one hand, the game hits the fighter pilot fantasy pretty well and the little "argh" when you strafe the soldiers is pretty satisfying. On the other hand the dog fighting is kind of dreary with a lot of spinning around. I remember getting pretty far in this but the levels never really change all that much.
3/5
Old 26 November 2022, 16:51   #166
Weasel Fierce

Just one today

Speedball 2
Replay. A stone cold classic and Im not going to argue with that. The two player game is extremely chaotic and Im not all that convinced it depends that much on skill but that does improve the pick-up-and-play quality. This is one Ive played with friends over beers and they have enjoyed despite having no experience with the original.
You also get multiple ways to play depending on how much time you want to put in. Im not sure the management mode is especially winnable but I may just be dumb.
5/5

Skipped:
Speedball 2 (CD32)
Old 26 November 2022, 17:21   #167
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Yesterday was mostly family time, so ticking off a few from the "within the last year" list. Though these are games I pick up every X number of months anyways.

Gods
When I saw "God of War" my mind immediately connected "oh, its like a new Gods"
The intro music is possibly the least greek sounding you could get, but the game is great. Theres something about the slow, ponderous nature that helps make the character feel powerful and I really enjoy the visual style. Its also as much of a puzzle game as it is an action one.
4/5
exactly. For me it's the best game, from the best developpers specially because of the puzzles and hidden puzzles & secrets, some of them discovered long after completing the game! A masterpiece.

Quote:
Speedball 2
Replay. A stone cold classic and Im not going to argue with that. The two player game is extremely chaotic and Im not all that convinced it depends that much on skill but that does improve the pick-up-and-play quality. This is one Ive played with friends over beers and they have enjoyed despite having no experience with the original.
You also get multiple ways to play depending on how much time you want to put in. Im not sure the management mode is especially winnable but I may just be dumb.
5/5
Excellent as well of course. 1-player game is good enough, the A.I. is excellent (as always with the Bros). The CD32 version is AGA, with more colors, but some people despise it, also because some sounds are missing (same issue as Chaos Engine). Personnally I appreciate the effort of improving those 2 for AGA.

When you tackle Cadaver, prepare to hate it or love it. When I first booted it 30 years ago, I hated it, understood nothing, etc. then I played Gods, Magic Pockets, ... and retried it: I was hooked. It's clearly another masterpiece with the same atmosphere as Gods, just slower. For that one you can't just play 1 hour... The puzzles are so hard after level 1 that you need a lot of time (using a walkthrough works I did that for some parts but I'm regretting it as the game is so great)

Last edited by jotd; 26 November 2022 at 17:27.
Old 26 November 2022, 17:41   #168
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
When you tackle Cadaver, prepare to hate it or love it. When I first booted it 30 years ago, I hated it, understood nothing, etc. then I played Gods, Magic Pockets, ... and retried it: I was hooked. It's clearly another masterpiece with the same atmosphere as Gods, just slower. For that one you can't just play 1 hour... The puzzles are so hard after level 1 that you need a lot of time (using a walkthrough works I did that for some parts but I'm regretting it as the game is so great)
Same here. I still don't like the perspective/controls that much, but the game itself is brilliant. There's so much detail. When I first played it I couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do so I just left it. Giving it a chance later I noticed how every room has a lot more in it than first meets the eye. Even if it has action elements it is more like an adventure/puzzle game.
Old 26 November 2022, 19:47   #169
Weasel Fierce

Thanks guys!
Ive actually tried Cadaver a couple of times but ended up getting nowhere at all. So its one Im excited to try again.

Theres a handful of games where I know Ill have to do some research before trying them and some that will require more time with them.
Old 26 November 2022, 20:01   #170
kremiso

about GODS

Quote:
exactly. For me it's the best game, from the best developpers specially because of the puzzles and hidden puzzles & secrets, some of them discovered long after completing the game! A masterpiece.
i presume terrible complex to insert all those also combined each other and time relative things into the code

to not talk of the testing phase

gg
Old 26 November 2022, 20:14   #171
Seiya

however i saw that you would like to play every Amiga games, but for now only well known. You should play also at very unknown games
Old 26 November 2022, 20:42   #172
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
however i saw that you would like to play every Amiga games, but for now only well known. You should play also at very unknown games
Yeah, I have a big list but I figured to get headway Id chip away at the easy ones first. Though there's been a fair few already that I never played before.
Old 26 November 2022, 20:55   #173
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
about GODS

i presume terrible complex to insert all those also combined each other and time relative things into the code

to not talk of the testing phase

gg
No they were using an editor, which probably generated code from patterns.

If you're interested Kroah reversed it completely (along with other superb games): http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Gods/utility.php5

Quote:
Yeah, I have a big list but I figured to get headway Id chip away at the easy ones first. Though there's been a fair few already that I never played before.
I see the point: so if you get bored before playing all the games at least you will have played the best ones because playing them in alphabetical order is just... depressing.
Old 26 November 2022, 22:33   #174
kremiso

Quote:
If you're interested Kroah reversed it completely (along with other superb games): http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Gods/utility.php5
amazing thanks
Old 27 November 2022, 16:38   #175
Weasel Fierce

A bit of a mix:

James Pond
First play. For some reason I had never played the first one. The level design is intensely irritating and its unclear what animals are dangerous and what animals are just decoration. The graphics are fun but I can't see returning to this one. Still, its charming and doesn't feel jank and unfinished in the way some do. An okay game that isn't for me.
Highly recommended to use a trainer for unlimited time.
3/5

Amiga Robbo
First play. I had no idea what to expect here. It is basically a puzzle game where you have to figure out how to manipulate the items on the screen to pick up all the things to complete the level. Its kind of fun, but really needs some music. Im not sure if this is a port of something, since the visuals kinda look like something that originated in DOS land.
2/5

Twylyte
First play. This one isnt actually listed on Lemon Amiga that I can tell. Its a 3D shooter and looks rather charming in that polygon kind of way. It moves at a fine clip on my system too. Gameplay is rather basic and you don't get very much time to line up your shots.
2/5

Tinyus
First play and we finish out strong. A really fun and nicely presented shooter with good visuals and a good difficulty curve.
4/5
Old 27 November 2022, 20:04   #176
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

3/5 for James Pond is very generous. That is one game which needs an overhaul, but I have yet to come up with an idea which would actually make the game having lasting gameplay fun. Eh. Turn it into a snappy platformer with boatloads of gameplay features, I guess

Re: Cadaver. Who came up with that screaming sound for the enemies? Mad lads. I actually dread killing things in it. And you're essentially stoning enemies to death half the time, so brutal.
Old 28 November 2022, 01:10   #177
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
3/5 for James Pond is very generous. That is one game which needs an overhaul, but I have yet to come up with an idea which would actually make the game having lasting gameplay fun. Eh. Turn it into a snappy platformer with boatloads of gameplay features, I guess

Re: Cadaver. Who came up with that screaming sound for the enemies? Mad lads. I actually dread killing things in it. And you're essentially stoning enemies to death half the time, so brutal.
Yeah, I was waffling between a 2 and 3 and opted for a 3 in the end, because they really did try. I think the game needs some tweaks to really become fun. The gameplay loop is just kinda ...blah
Old 28 November 2022, 11:44   #178
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Playability wise it would already be a massive improvement if your life doesn't drain as quickly and you can wear glasses and still carry collectables at the same time. Slightly less vindictive collision detection would also be a boon. But it'd still be busy work instead of a game.
Old 28 November 2022, 16:10   #179
Weasel Fierce

Just two today.

Wings of Death
Replay. Im not sure if its the rarity of a fantasy themed shoot em up, but I like this game a lot. Having your character change as they pick up different weapons is neat. While the graphics are not the most amazing thing in the world, the levels have some variety and its not too difficult to make progress. The game can feel a little slow though.
3/5

HeroQuest
Replay. A conversion of the MB board game and a fairly faithful one at that. Good music but the interface is kind of awkward compared to Space Crusade which made it effortless to look around the board. Like the board game there is no adjustment for using fewer than 4 heroes and the game is prone to cheap tricks b the heroes. Its a good conversion but Id rather play the board game.

The game had an expansion disk covering the Witch Lord expansion to the board game.
3/5
Old 28 November 2022, 16:54   #180
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
HeroQuest
Replay. A conversion of the MB board game and a fairly faithful one at that. Good music but the interface is kind of awkward compared to Space Crusade which made it effortless to look around the board. Like the board game there is no adjustment for using fewer than 4 heroes and the game is prone to cheap tricks b the heroes. Its a good conversion but Id rather play the board game.

The game had an expansion disk covering the Witch Lord expansion to the board game.
3/5
Using save states to get around some of the RNG makes the game a lot better. It's still pretty bland and one could argue the dice roll nature was a point of the board game