English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 December 2017, 10:21   #1
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Newtek demo reel - Remastered

I started tracing back and collecting these well known Amiga pictures a while back and soon figured out these new clearer, better quality masters would make some pretty good sources for new conversions of these classic images, targeting the best possible quality on the Amiga side.

Last week I finally got started, first adjusting and fiddling around with palettes on Photoshop side and finally bringing them over to the Amiga side for rendering, and managed to find pretty satisfactory color settings for each image (Dynamic, sliced EHB etc), showing that the old miggy really goes a long way if fed the right kind of material.

Original image on the left and the remastered Amiga version on the right side:

https://s17.postimg.org/5lozl39u7/newtrem1.png

https://s17.postimg.org/4jet2jyqn/newtrem2.png

https://s17.postimg.org/sn5kquoxb/newtrem3.png

https://s17.postimg.org/noi2cbsu7/newtrem5.png

https://s17.postimg.org/70qka1g4v/newtrem4.png

The aim here - once they're all converted - is to make a remastered slideshow disk similar to the original one, bootable and viewable on any basic A500 with a fast memory expansion.

Last edited by jizmo; 18 December 2017 at 12:07.
Old 18 December 2017, 10:31   #2
Foebane
Banned

These are for plain A500? The Groucho Marx picture has 256 colours, so you must mean AGA?
Old 18 December 2017, 10:44   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

IIRC the Newtek demo reel used HAM6 or SHAM and so could use all 4096 colours on A500
Old 18 December 2017, 10:55   #4
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
IIRC the Newtek demo reel used HAM6 or SHAM and so could use all 4096 colours on A500
Currently mostly using sliced palettes and dynamic hires, some images are SHAM or sliced EHB if there's too much bleeding with the HAM mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
These are for plain A500? The Groucho Marx picture has 256 colours, so you must mean AGA?
Nope, 16 colours with some nifty dithering

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twofhsb9jw...trem2.gif?dl=0

Last edited by jizmo; 18 December 2017 at 12:29.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:00   #5
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
The aim here - once they're all converted - is to make a remastered slideshow disk similar to the original one, bootable and viewable on any basic A500 with a fast memory expansion.
Huh? Why such strange requirement ? I would understand 512k + 512k requirement but limiting this to only Fast Mem owners sounds very bizarre as native slideshow was able to run on unexpanded A500 AFAIR.
beside i very appreciate your effort, itself tried many times to find famous 'fashion' but never succeeded. If this is possible please upload somewhere (Zone?) orginal images - will try to do also similar approach but perhaps focusing on different conversion method.

Last edited by pandy71; 19 December 2017 at 11:10.
Old 19 December 2017, 12:04   #6
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Huh? Why such strange requirement ? I would understand 512k + 512k requirement but limiting this to only Fast Mem owners sounds very bizarre
I was referring to the usual 512kb fastmem expansion on top of your usual chip memory, or machines with 1mb of chip. I vaguely remember reading somewhere the sliced/dynamic ham screenmodes need some data to be fetched from fast memory, so my guess is that your basic 512kb expansion is needed.

I'd very much appreciate this thing project becoming a joint community effort instead of just me soloing around, so I'll be posting the raw images here as well for people to toy around with and to post if you can get any better results. Same goes with putting the disk together; if you're a CLI guru who wants to put this thing together, or an ascii artist who can do a nice splash screen etc, I welcome you to join in.

Last edited by jizmo; 19 December 2017 at 12:23.
Old 19 December 2017, 15:17   #7
pandy71

Quote:
I was referring to the usual 512kb fastmem expansion on top of your usual chip memory, or machines with 1mb of chip. I vaguely remember reading somewhere the sliced/dynamic ham screenmodes need some data to be fetched from fast memory, so my guess is that your basic 512kb expansion is needed.
Aaa, i see it is called Slow RAM as it share limitation of Chip not being Chip at the same time - then everything is fine. Accordingly to my knowledge Dynamic Hires doesn't require other RAM than Chip or Slow.
Some dynamic modes use Copper (PCHG, SHAM), some use CPU (NewTek AFAIK).

Quote:
I'd very much appreciate this thing project becoming a joint community effort instead of just me soloing around, so I'll be posting the raw images here as well for people to toy around with and to post if you can get any better results. Same goes with putting the disk together; if you're a CLI guru who wants to put this thing together, or an ascii artist who can do a nice splash screen etc, I welcome you to join in.
Sadly i must say i'm not CLI or ASCI art guru - anyway if i can help then OK - currently looking/searching way to find best HAM conversion (calculating optimal CLUT with edge detection to reduce HAM limitation) mostly for video on Amiga.
Old 19 December 2017, 16:34   #8
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
i very appreciate your effort, itself tried many times to find famous 'fashion' but never succeeded
The other image on the Digi Paint disk is scanned from Yves Saint Laurent magazine AD called 'Papillon'.

My strong hunch is that the source of this scan is one of the women's fashion magazines of the era (Elle, Vogue, Cosmopolitan), and if someone manages to find the right issue, the famous 'Fashion' knit red scarf image will be found in that very same mag.
Old 19 December 2017, 18:29   #9
emufan

did you already found the complete Newtek demo reel series by user Lurking_Grue ?
unfortunately he did not post since some time, maybe he will come back with some more rare related things.
Old 23 December 2017, 23:09   #10
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
did you already found the complete Newtek demo reel series by user Lurking_Grue ?
unfortunately he did not post since some time, maybe he will come back with some more rare related things.
Cheers for the tip, interesting stuff!

No solid clues for the origins of the pictures here, but there were some additional images that could help narrowing it down if multiple images on the slideshows were scanned from a single magazine.