English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 February 2022, 17:56   #1
desiv

Best introductory football game?

Very proud of myself for catching myself and using the term football.
I intended to do that, but still typed soccer when I was starting this. But I caught it before I posted. ;-)

Anyway, soccer (as we call it here) wasn't very big where I was growing up, so those games never really factored in for me...

But I know I am missing something, because it looks like there are a LOT of options for Football/Soccer games on the Amiga.

I'd like to try to get into that a bit.

But, I'm not too familiar with it, and I'm not a great gamer. (I just like to have fun, but the game fairy didn't grant me great hand/eye coordination...)

I've seen a lot of vids on the games, especially the Sensible series (I'm not going to ask why it wasn't called Sensible World of Football... Although I have always wondered...), but it feels like there is so much going on so fast on those games...

I was wondering, is there a game that you might recommend as a "gateway" game for someone interested but not super knowledgeable and a beginner?
Or should I just bite the bullet and try one of the Sensis?

I'm not interested in the Manager type of games. More just some fun play type of thing...

Are there some I should avoid like crazy?

Thoughts?

Thanx!
Old 22 February 2022, 18:05   #2
Radertified

This is one of those topics that'll get people arguing. Atari vs Commodore. Nintendo vs Sega. Sensi vs Kick Off.

I'm a Sensible/SWOS fan myself. It's a very arcadey approach to soccer/football. On the flipside are Dino Dini's Kick Off/Goal games which I personally feel have a little more strategy to them. Kind of like FIFA vs PES.

Microprose Soccer might be a good starter game since it's slower but has the same overall concept.

There's certainly many other games, including some at different angles (Manchester United, FIFA International Soccer, etc.), but I'd say go to the Sensible or Dino Dini's games. There's a good chance you'll enjoy one or the other. IMHO they're the best the Amiga has.

EDIT:

If playing Sensible/SWOS, I'd highly recommend SWOS 2020 which has the latest team rosters too. As a fan of the game, I personally find it more fun playing with guys that play today. It's available for Amiga and PC.

Last edited by Radertified; 22 February 2022 at 18:13.
Old 22 February 2022, 18:23   #3
Gordon
Settler

I recommend European champions from ocean. The ball is glued to the feet, has tap to pass the ball and hold fire and aim for shooting . Plus it has difficulty levels from 1 to 10. And has 2 views you can choose from pressing v on keyboard

https://hol.abime.net/2876
Old 22 February 2022, 18:37   #4
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I recommend European champions from ocean. The ball is glued to the feet, has tap to pass the ball and hold fire and aim for shooting . Plus it has difficulty levels from 1 to 10. And has 2 views you can choose from pressing v on keyboard

https://hol.abime.net/2876
I agree, this or Wembley Int Soccer (same game rebadged) very easy to pick-up for first time footy players, Kick Off and Sensi take a while to master, or may get frustrating quickly whilst learning the game.
Old 22 February 2022, 19:15   #5
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
This is one of those topics that'll get people arguing. Atari vs Commodore. Nintendo vs Sega. Sensi vs Kick Off. I'm a Sensible/SWOS fan myself.
I'm a Kick Off 2 fan, but I wouldn't recommend it as an introductory game to my worst enemy. It's definitely better suited for people who are prepared to put hundreds of hours into it.

I agree with Gordon, European Champions is a very good, novice-friendly game. If you like it and eventually want to move on to something more challenging, go for Sensible Soccer.
Old 22 February 2022, 22:59   #6
Fiery Phoenix

Agree - love KO2, but not at an introductionary level. I think I am half decent at it, but can still learn new things all of the time - thats after playing it for 30+ years! Can be a bit daunting for a noobie.

Emlyn Hughes / European Champs (not a massive fan of side view games to be fair) Manchester Utd Europe is ok too for a starting off game
Old 22 February 2022, 23:36   #7
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

My friend and I really enjoyed Striker, was easy to get into.
Old 25 February 2022, 19:29   #8
eXeler0

Hardcore, "level 70" Kick Off 2 fan here and I dislike most other football games on Amiga :-) ...buuuut.. I have to agree, it's not the best beginners footy game. Most of us came from Kick Off --> Kick Off 2.

On the C64 I did get some enjoyment out of Microprose Soccer (much slower gameplay than Kick Off) but I'll confess, never played it on Amiga. Also on C64 I loved Emelyn Hughes International Soccer for some reason, and that is also available on Amiga.

Theres a "spiritual successor" to Kick Off 2 called Goal! by the same guy who did KO2.
It has a different control system so I think it might be a hit or miss but maybe worth trying.

Maybe you could also check out some for those "top 10 footy games on Amiga" -videos to get a sense of how differently they play depending on if its top down, or side scrolling etc..
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 March 2022, 00:55   #9
Lamaman71

I’m a kickoff fan but euro champions is a good place to start I guess!
Old 06 March 2022, 16:36   #10
Seiya

Sierra Soccer is the best as graphics and gameplay
Old 06 March 2022, 16:55   #11
Keops/Equinox

I remember having a lot of fun with Kick Off back then while not being a soccer / football fan at all.
Old 07 March 2022, 20:35   #12
Zak
Zap´em

I am a big fan of Dino Dini's Goal! and made add-ons like World Cups for it. (My thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65292)

I find Goal! is the most easy to use soccer game in the world. I find it more easy to score goals than in SWOS (Sensible World Of Soccer) for example. Plus you can choose the teams' speed and choose your skill level by that.