English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 March 2019, 17:07   #21
Mark sealey

Hi all i ve just tried the BestWB os3.1.4....installed everything....on reboot half the icons did not display...and the system would not boot sometimes....with the older version of BestWB 3.1 the same would happen.....tried reinstalling the Icon library from my backup...still the same.....i Reinstalled Magic Workbench that helped me boot...but there are still Newicons that may lock the system up......The only way to get the system to reboot and be stable was to Fomat and Restore my backup copy of the system partion...no i was thinking i might be the Datatypes that were installed.

It would be nice to have the BetterWB installer use the OS installer so we can create a Logfile and/or click on User Experience settings to gain some control on What is being installed.

I`m guessing ppl are installing this over a "vanilla" install of OS3.14....and dont mind all there icons being replaced.

Thanks

Mark
Old 14 March 2019, 23:58   #22
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Mark sealey

Please understand that BestWB is designed for a clean 3.1.4 system.

If you install on an existing non clean system, there is a multitude of things that can go wrong.

Anyway, the install system I used is a simple AmigaDOS script that you can edit to suit to your particular wishes.
Old 15 March 2019, 11:30   #23
Mark sealey

Ok i understand....so ppl who have a modified/Upgraded OS should not use BestWB Unless they want everything broken after installing it.

I just thought BestWB was a good idea to enhance the Experience.Never mind
Old 15 March 2019, 11:46   #24
gulliver
BoingBagged

Using any Amiga distro/pack on a previously customized system will lead you to an unstable or non working system.

So whenever you pick an Amiga distro/pack just follow their installation instructions, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Good luck.
Old 17 March 2019, 16:42   #25
jurassicman

I've tested BestWB on my OS 3.1.4 (previously "upgraded" from OS 3.9) and everything seems to work well except for a problem with the icons visualization.
After the installation of BestWB many icons have a border around them (like the one you are usually able remove with "Newicons Prefs") and I'm not able to remove it. Some more icons aren't displayed at all and there is a different icon (I'll takes some pictures to show what I mean). Any suggestions about this issue?
I rolled back my system now but I can install BestWB again and do some tests if someone gives me some hints...
Old 17 March 2019, 17:39   #26
jurassicman

There we are.

Before:

After:

Also note as a few icons have weird colors. I got them from different places, I don't know which one is a glowicon, which is a newicon, which is a 3.5/3.9, etc.. but as you can see they were all displayed correctly before the update.

Please, give me some hints!
I already installed the newicon package without success and i also installed powericon that actually helped for the border of some icons but I don't think that it is the solution...
Old 17 March 2019, 22:44   #27
gulliver
BoingBagged

@jurassicman

First, BestWB is designed to be installed on a clean AmigaOS 3.1.4 installation.

Then you should never add multiple icon display systems, like you did with powericons and newicons, because you are making things worse. They are probably generating a conflict between each other, and with the previous system you had.

To remove borders around icons you should use the prefs program called "Workbench", and make sure you have both newicons enabled and no borders on icons set. Save that setting and reboot your machine.
Old 17 March 2019, 23:47   #28
jurassicman

@gulliver

Thanks for your hints.
I'm just doing some "experiments"... I took an image of my CF before using BestWB and I can easily "roll-back" to it.
I think that on my original 3.9 system, neither newicons or powerincons were installed and that I was able to see newicons because I use the latest icon.library.
I'll do some more "experiments" and I'll see how it goes, if I solve this issue I'll update this thread. Thanks again!
Old 18 March 2019, 00:10   #29
gulliver
BoingBagged

@jurassicman

It is okay you experiment. You will learn a lot of things that way.

I am currently building a plug-in pack for BestWB that will look more or less like your screenshots. Its target is a 68020 + 4MB, and will play nice with WinUAE.
Old 18 March 2019, 17:52   #30
MartinW

Hi Gulliver,

Obviously I understand the definition of "Clean 3.1.4". I _THINK_ all I have done since a vanilla 3.1.4 was to install Poseidon. Obviously (or maybe not!) I also have a couple of extra partitions - game and data. Something like that. All partitions are PFS3.

Is that clean enough do you think?
Old 18 March 2019, 18:45   #31
comraider

I've noticed on 3.1.4 that the system default font is stuck on Topaz--i.e. if you open up something like ScreenMode prefs, the font used is topaz instead of whatever I choose in the Fonts prefs.

I saw a blurb on Hyperion's site that this suggests this is a known issue--is the update to 3.1.4 going to address this as well? Or perhaps a hack can do the trick?
Old 18 March 2019, 21:11   #32
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Hi Gulliver,

Obviously I understand the definition of "Clean 3.1.4". I _THINK_ all I have done since a vanilla 3.1.4 was to install Poseidon. Obviously (or maybe not!) I also have a couple of extra partitions - game and data. Something like that. All partitions are PFS3.

Is that clean enough do you think?
Neither PFS3, nor Poseidon should be aproblem, but to have Poseidon you also need to have MUI which needs some assigns.

I recommmend you backup your startup-sequence because BestWB will overwrite it. And then, after installation you should re-enable all your assigns and customizations that your previous version had.

If you can, do a complete backup of your bootable/system partition. It never hurts and may eventually get you out of trouble.
Old 18 March 2019, 21:15   #33
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by comraider View Post
I've noticed on 3.1.4 that the system default font is stuck on Topaz--i.e. if you open up something like ScreenMode prefs, the font used is topaz instead of whatever I choose in the Fonts prefs.

I saw a blurb on Hyperion's site that this suggests this is a known issue--is the update to 3.1.4 going to address this as well? Or perhaps a hack can do the trick?
It is a limitation of the GUI toolkit AmigaOS uses. This will be properly addressed in a future version. But not in the coming 3.1.4.1 Update. The update will only have fixes, and maybe a few tiny enhancements, but nothing groundbreaking.
Old 20 April 2019, 13:06   #34
maxx11111

Hi i have updated a fairly clean install of os 3.1.4 and bw1.0 to bw1.1
and now when i boot i get a message saying

DISK "Empty"
Zu Fruh Entnommen!

"Empty" is my Fat95 Compact flash it then boots fine on a reset.
before i try anything anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Old 20 April 2019, 15:28   #35
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Just be patient, we want to fix every bug we found for 3.1.4.1.
And other bugs? Without a publicly available list of known bugs, it feels rather pointlesd to report bugs...
Old 20 April 2019, 19:49   #36
gulliver
BoingBagged

@max11111

Most likely it is a problem of the mountlist you use to read the contents on the CF.
Old 20 April 2019, 22:08   #37
maxx11111

@gulliver

would the update have changed it?
and any idea what would have been changed.
Old 21 April 2019, 09:09   #38
designer77
designer77

Old 21 April 2019, 12:15   #39
maxx11111

it seems the compactflash.device had changed, both the old and new had the same version number but the file size of the newer one was bigger, replacing the old one has stopped the issue.
Old 21 April 2019, 18:13   #40
gulliver
BoingBagged

Weird, new one is version 1.33. Old one is 1.32.

If I get other similar report, I will revert back to the old one.

According to the compactflash.device changelog, only this happened:

Makes init routie more reliable. Cards that previously would not work might now start to work. Tested with a variety of SD cards in an SD to CF adapter and now all SD cards initialise properly and work reliably. Cheap storage now available for all. Succesfully tested 32gb SD cards with fat95 v3.18. See ADAPTER2.JPG for the type of adapter used.