English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 03 January 2013, 11:59   #1
clownstyle

HOL Boxart

Hi all

I was wondering if it would be possible to download the boxart and diskscans from HOL without having to do this manually.... FTP maybe?

So far I have grabbed my favorite game art for use with a custom theme in hyperspin - I will show you shortly

Ideally I would like to do the full set of KGWHD but doing them manually is a PITA!

Any help appreciated
Old 03 January 2013, 15:58   #2
clownstyle

Oh, I had no intention of asking for the images without the watermark. That doesn't bother me.

I just meant a place where I could download them instead of going through each game individually and downloading them that way!

But on that note I do tend to agree with previous posters about making things available to the community. I think what I am putting together would help better the community if anything else and in no way would it do any damage!
Old 03 January 2013, 16:41   #3
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
In defence of HOL, they have provided some data dumps for exotica in the past, and we link back to HOL for all the music entries on our site. I think if it was even more open, even more collaboration would be possible. The watermark is a shame, as it ruins the original images imho.

There are not 100s of people out there waiting to pass off HOL research as their own.

It's a fantastic resource that could be even better. I think database dumps and/or an API could be awesome. It would enable integration into things like emulator frontends, and other sites which could also drive more traffic back to HOL. And without the watermarks, the box art can be fully enjoyed. I would also think that the original artists would prefer it that way too (certainly ones I have spoken to in the past would).

FTP access would also be great - for things like AMR also - I have a full mirror of AMR, which isn't yet used by the AMR site (but that was one of the purposes for it), but it's ready for that, and I could make the AMR data also available via ftp, for easier offline reading of the material.
Old 03 January 2013, 21:24   #4
Kitty

clownstyle, we don't have such a big collection as HOL but all our box art has no watermarks and is available to anyone who wants it.

http://awesome.commodore.me/amiga/amiga-boxart/
http://awesome.commodore.me/c64/c64-boxart/
http://awesome.commodore.me/c16/c16-boxart/
http://awesome.commodore.me/vic-20/vic20-boxart/
Old 04 January 2013, 13:51   #5
clownstyle

Thanks Kitty, those box scans are really high quality!!
Old 04 January 2013, 14:26   #6
DH
Global Moderator

Many people have helped and contributed to what HOL has achieved, many years (10 actually) of work has gone into scanning, photographing, cropping, adjusting, manipulating, screengrabbing, Sprite ripping, game map ripping, manual pdfing etc etc. It's no wonder there's a watermark.

It's not to say it belongs to HOL, it just adds that reassurance that the hard work done by everyone for HOL isn't completely wasted because of other sites, that would take the scans etc, for their own gratification without mentioning where it came from.

I can't hear any contributor complaining about the watermarks.... I wonder why?

Anyway, back On Topic

Maybe you could ask CodyJarrett, he may be able to provide you with all the images (with watermarks) in one fell swoop.

Last edited by DH; 04 January 2013 at 14:31.
Old 04 January 2013, 14:29   #7
clownstyle

I think we may be getting a little off topic here... As I have already mentioned I have no problem what so ever with the watermark and I do understand why it's there!

Old 04 January 2013, 14:36   #8
DH
Global Moderator

Damn! My edit was a little too late

I understand the frustration of manually grabbing the diskscans/boxscans, it's a slow and laborious task, but iirc CodyJarrett helped me a few years back to mass grab some stuff, can't remember what they were now, but he definitely help me.
Old 04 January 2013, 14:49   #9
clownstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Damn! My edit was a little too late

I understand the frustration of manually grabbing the diskscans/boxscans, it's a slow and laborious task, but iirc CodyJarrett helped me a few years back to mass grab some stuff, can't remember what they were now, but he definitely help me.
Yea!

I sent Cody a PM yesterday so hopefully its only a matter of time before he gets back to me, DrBong hooked me up!

Cheers for the help
Old 04 January 2013, 16:07   #10
DH
Global Moderator

All/most stuff relating to HOL watermarks has been moved to THIS thread as it's been discussed before.
Old 04 January 2013, 16:36   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Good call DH! Cody's helped quite a few people who've made such HOL requests over the years, which is why I pointed clownstyle to him yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownstyle View Post
I sent Cody a PM yesterday so hopefully its only a matter of time before he gets back to me, DrBong hooked me up!
Cody's usually pretty quick to respond to PMs, but he may well be out seeing The Hobbit for the 5674658th time.......so be patient with him!